JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Whats Your Favorite Thing(s) about Owning Firearms ?

If you are like me tired of so much negativity around firearms, so started this thread.
Its not WHY do you own firearms, but what is your favorite thing about owning one.

Me, I get to be around friends and family with a commons interest even here at NWFA.
I also love the smell of gun powder always have, and well like to put hole sin things and watch em blow up. I love working on old trucks and cars and electronics so naturally tinkering with firearms is a blast. There is so much culture and history in firearms and these are a few of my favorite things about owning them.

Talking with others , both gun people and non gun people about the history of firearms , the fur trade , sharing a love of history, and muzzleloading guns in general...
Andy
P1120487.JPG

Our country was built with firearms. They are our heritage, our history. Like many on here, I suspect, we think we would have been better off in a simpler more independent time. I often think of this. Certainly there is no way to change where I am in chronological history. But firearms help with the feelings I have for those simpler times. By far, my most peaceful and content moments are when I'm alone with my rifle, a pistol at my side, and as far out in the woods as i can get.

It validates my power trip.

It makes me a citizen, not a subject.

You are relegated to negotiate with/or convince me, rather than compel/force me.

Being equal to any adversary(ies), despite their age, physical size, or fighting ability.

See number one. :D

In the beginnng they were a tool for food but also something useful to take on an adventure. Then they became a tool to measure skill in competition and now they keep me safe and show me what my work has given me.

Because its nice to see how human weapons work while we prepare for the clown invasions from outer space. :rolleyes:

No idea why I like em. I guess its just going from a place where guns are seen as bad to a place where they're seen as good draws you to them, and the freedom is quite enjoyable.

Being able to conceal carry. I work in a high risk job really. To be able to walk down the street and be a match for whatever I encounter is a good thing.

Whats MY favorite thing.......My wife is an equal to any.......ANY thug.....she prob shoots better than me and I know her soon to be children are VERY safe....dont mess with mama bears....... she might be mean with me but with the cubs......i have no doubt, bad idea..... extremely dangerous

01f26a70ff0adc16065e2b529b52783f--momma-bear-patrick-obrian.jpg

momma-bear.jpg

Last Edited:
Passing it forward. I am very old school. Was President of our High School Rifle Club. That long ago. Used to teach Boy and Cub Scouts how to shoot for their marksmanship merit badges. Very long ago indeed. Was basic stuff. Not 3 gun shooting.

It does feel very good when somebody asks me to build them an AR15. It is difficult to turn them down. I feel very good about the National Climate regarding firearms. Quite a different situation from what It could have been. I remain very grateful.

It validates my power trip.

It makes me a citizen, not a subject.

You are relegated to negotiate with/or convince me, rather than compel/force me.

Being equal to any adversary(ies), despite their age, physical size, or fighting ability.

See number one. :D

This ^

Plus, I enjoy just shooting them. I like the mechanics of guns, the design, the lines, the finish, the artistry. I like the power, the sound, the smell, the impact. I like guns because they keep the ability to protect myself and my family in my hands, with less reliance on others to do so. I like guns because they put me on an even level with the bad guys out there seeking to harm others. I like guns for the precision, the concentration, the push to get better and better. I like that I can learn them inside and out, can learn skills like casting, reloading, repair and refinishing. I like guns for the bonds with other gun owners. I like the history of guns and how they relate to the history of our country and our freedom.

I like to eat wild game, a firearm is the proper tool for the job of harvesting protein.
I like to be able to protect and defend me and mine, a firearm levels the playing field for the average person.
I like to be active outdoors and shoot recreationally, a firearm is a key to my physical and mental well being.
I too like the smell of gun powder, not just in the morning, any time of day really.
I like to tinker with, evaluate, enhance and personalize my firearms for my individual uses and preferences.
I like firearms for their historic, artistic, and sentimental reasons, they connect me to my past, present and future.
How else am I going to shoot all the ammunition I reload, if not with a firearm?

Another thing I enjoy about firearms is teaching others how to shoot rifles. Especially rifles that aren't as common as ARs are. You get to see who really appreciates simplicity of a rifle when you introduce people to different rifles and see which they prefer.

The relaxation. Everything you have to do shoot well is inherently calming. Monitoring your breathing, keeping your heart rate under control, regulating your muscle movements -- it's like meditation ... with a bang.

Off the top of my head ....

• To protect my family from those that would seek us harm, either during normal times or during a disaster.
  • Recreational pursuits (e.g., target practice, clays, etc.).
  • Time spent with family engaging in the aforementioned recreational activities.
  • Collecting historically interesting items as part of the study of history.
  • Finding the mechanical aspect of the items interesting.
  • Hunting in the past, and hopefully again in the future.
  • Keeping the King of England out of my face. :s0110:

Last Edited:
I was just brought up around them, 2nd nature.

Was introduced as the joy of shooting and as I got older instilled in me the importance of self defense and defense against outside forces. I took outside forces as out side of myself and immediate family/dwelling.

Childhood memories.

Defensive equalization.

It's FUN!

It's a lifelong hobbie like golf.

Hunting.

It gets me out with friends and I make new ones at my range easily.

It keeps me from having too many hobbies; i.e. I'd like another bike, but not as much as I would like a lot more guns:D.

It's a tradition, like carrying a knife.

@DuneHopper great thread!

Its all so simple really! The ability to protect my family and loved ones.

The camaraderie of friends that love the smell of fresh gun powder in the morning.

The fact that it pisses people off because they know I love them so much!

The joy of building your own.

The quiet nights in my shop working on guns.

Having friends push you to be better and challenge you to become a better shooter.

And because MERICA!!!!!!

:s0042:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews