JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...and head for your cabin in the mountains?

What are some scenarios that would force you to leave the city and go into the mountains?

1. nuclear war
2. biological threat (swine flu, etc)
3. civil war

Not in the city now. I live in a small town. I'll stay here until it is either no longer defendable, No longer structurally safe and doesn't provide the protection required. I have to move on to seek food.

Small town in rural Western Wa. Would stay until had to leave. Or power went out for good. Unfortunately a divorce cost me a house but small price to pay to be short of that woman. So, I rent and prepare as much as my part time job allows. New wife can cook and or grow anything. Once she learns to shoot not sure she'll need me. My landlord's pretty cool so we'll stick around as long as possible. Then it's down south to relatives or east of the mountains. I just hope we don't have to walk.

Brutus out.

We live in urban PDX. A particular issue for us is our proximity to the main east/west railways and a large PCB burner. Health issues have made it unlikely that we will be running until bullets, plague, meteors, etc start hitting the house!

Pretty safe in my semi-rural setting with unlimited wood resources minutes away, NF on both sides and my own well. My belief is if you have to leave the relative security of your home and property your chances of survival lower dramatically depending on just WHAT you are leaving. If one is in a urban/city area then your chances might be as good or better on the 'outside' but the closer one is already situated to a rural/mountain setting then the less need there is less of a need to leave. Familiarity of your own location is a powerful thing.

...and head for your cabin in the mountains?

What are some scenarios that would force you to leave the city and go into the mountains?

1. nuclear war
2. biological threat (swine flu, etc)
3. civil war

1 and 2 would most likely occur and there would be no choice on moving anywhere. Unless one was thinking that ones ashes blowing to the next state in a firestorm is of concern (, ie your choice #1). That choice you list, #3. Now sure how that would play out.... who would be doing what to whom? Cause I could see getting on the road in a Mad Max kind of confrontation way being a very very bad idea in some circumstances.

I could see that an earthquake where the roads were in good condition but my house had fallen down around me while I was out watering the tomatoes being a great time to get out of dodge and into a smaller community that's closer to food sources. I'd actually planned for this a bit by stuffing some extra food in my brothers place which had just been build to tighter earthquake standards. Told him in the event of an earthquake he'd be welcome to it if we were dead. Unfortunatly he's moving to another town and won't be 6 blocks over:-( Time to reconsider that one.

Perhaps an actual war it would be a great time to bail in advance of actual conflict ....not sure I could describe every scenario where that might be a good idea. The idea of grabbing a single bag (or 3) of stuff and leaving a life time of accumulated goods is not appealing to me, so it would need to be serious to get me to budge. Like, who wants to be in a new place without a shovel? Anyone ever put a shovel in their bag? No, too heavy. How about 55 gallons of water? Nope. Umbrellas? 9 different coats (in the coat closet for differing weather) Left behind as well. 14 flashlights, 4 gallons of white gas for the coleman stove and lantern, etc etc:) Things of importance but marginal utility would all be left.

One Maltov coctail on your roof will get you out of your house post-haste...the key is getting out before it gets that bad (or that close). If you don't have a defendable possition then you need to leave before the hungry horde smells your food.

Damage or ruin causing it to be unsafe.
Unsafe due to occupation by government or civilian criminal forces.
Preemptive decision wherein critical evac routes were compromised or at risk due to the above.
(e.g. - Road Block "cage" was instituted for enacting Fed/UN/HS/FEMA/Foreign/criminal controls.)

I have stuff ready for the mountains ... but depending on the scenario ...
I would likely plant myself next to a farm with eggs and chickens and offer to protect it and help them.

There might even be dozens of Bankster foreclosures just sitting and available.
Lotsa nice spots on the way to the hills. The mountains are tough and with a lot of survival watching yuppies ...
I think I would wait for the die off before I made my way there.

Damage or ruin causing it to be unsafe.
Unsafe due to occupation by government or civilian criminal forces.
Preemptive decision wherein critical evac routes were compromised or at risk due to the above.
(e.g. - Road Block "cage" was instituted for enacting Fed/UN/HS/FEMA/Foreign/criminal controls.)

I have stuff ready for the mountains ... but depending on the scenario ...
I would likely plant myself next to a farm with eggs and chickens and offer to protect it and help them.

There might even be dozens of Bankster foreclosures just sitting and available.
Lotsa nice spots on the way to the hills. The mountains are tough and with a lot of survival watching yuppies ...
I think I would wait for the die off before I made my way there.

Got anything cached up there (or on the way) by chance? Just a suggestion...

My biggest concern is something happening while I am in work in Down Town Seattle and getting home. It was intresting enough after last large earthquake driving over all the debris in the road. Hate working in Down town area but at least I do not have to live there. Thought I was losing my job of 24 years earlier this year and the one thing that made me hate not losing job was still having to work in Seattle. Had option a few years ago to work in down town Portland and saw no bonus in that.
Plan to hold out at house as long as it makes cents but get ready to leave if needed to my mobile bug out vehicle which I plan to take to one of two bug out locations if needed.
Saying just what would get me to leave is had to say 100% and bug out location would depend on situation.

I have been working on that.
I have cache bins all made up with everything in some Rocket launcher 31" ammo cans.
Found a couple spots but need to recon them again this summer.

Nothing fancy mind you ... but inclusive of a cheapo .22 rifle and 1k plus rds of ammo .... and then of course all the emergency stuff, water, food, first aid, shelter etc.

Best spots are gated. Which is a complicated task of permissions or keys ... wink.

Got anything cached up there (or on the way) by chance? Just a suggestion...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top