JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This probably is old fashion and out of date but how about a neighborhood watch? Bad guys have to be checking out a neighborhood before they go in, be it Google maps or what ever but they must drive through to be sure.

Neighborhood gets together and buys some street cameras that every neighbor can check the traffic. Too many strange cars should alert people.

If it were me I would use Alabama holster for pocket or carry like you are describing. It will never come out of holster on accident, trigger is always covered. You can release it from the holster with your thumb inside the bag and have it in your hand and ready while remaining invisible to offending party. It's just like the start of that pocket holster video. I've released mine a couple times in sketchy situations and never drew it. But it would have been a fraction of a second to draw cuz gun is already in hand and ready to go (invisible to offending party) very similar to holding gun at the low ready. You could also add a small lanyard to make sure holster stays in bag (the hook on the holster is designed to keep it coming out of your pocket and works perfectly but you'd have to test it in any given bag to make sure it stays in the bag 100% of the time when drawing, adding a lanyard if it doesn't).

I also carry IWB and with that you have to clear covering garment with one hand, put your hand on gun and draw, all of which is very visible. Both work well and have pros and cons but for that situation you are talking about I would buy an Alabama holster. Even with the best planning it's still trial and error to find the perfect solution for you. That's just the nature of holsters and why people have many different ones they try until they find the perfect one.

Also keep in mind having a visible bag could mark you as a target for theft but that's neither here nor there I suppose.
Okay. I'll look at the Alabama holster.
Heads up. I'm probably the only on that you'll will see carrying a bag like that "everyday". I didn't just thought about it, I been wearing a bag like that for 40 years never been mistaken or treated awkwardly. You can call it 1 out of 99% on an everyday use. That is the reason why I was looking at a nylon because it looks slim that will fit invisible in my pouch. I will never ever lose that pouch with me regardless if anyone says something for since I been using that, I have never lost anything like a wallet, pen, money, credit card. I could never see anyone or feel anyone suspecting. Hopefully not because I'm harmless.
The holster that I been looking at the DeSantis site looks bulky and will never work for my purpose.
But If I were carrying my Glock 19, I'd use a leather because its a way bigger gun and I'd be wearing it as a side arm.

Now, after looking back on that incident, he has installed a second entry type door in the hallway leading to the bedrooms of the home. His thinking is that you are most vulnerable while you are sleeping and that having that second barrier to breach will give him more time to arm up and repel boarders.
Col. Cooper (Gunsite) had one of these installed leading to the bedroom. It was actually an iron gate that you could shoot through (him from cover of course). The entire house (the Sconce) was designed with overlapping fields of fire for approaching...guests.

Something I found common in Scotland when visiting this year were doors that had the regular latch but also when you pulled up on the handle it engaged three or four other locks along the frame. They are impressive and I don't see them getting easily kicked in. I'm sure they exist here, just never seen one.

Do it different.
Criminals have a system, so slow it down or interrupt it.
I was taught you will not stop a criminal wanting entry, a bad guy and enough people they will gain entry.
Point is to make it difficult to where its not easy.

Off Set Hinges .Heavy pad locks on door, no one suspects that.
Hard wire your system, and use several routers. Not access points.
And have security system hard wired and on different systems.
Dog, don't have one get one. Best alarm on the market.

I used to pull my coil wire on my own car when I went places I couldn't watch it.
You might be able to hot wire it, but do criminals carry spare coil wires.

Stop doing what everyone else does and do it different.

MHO

Argus.

We havent been "home invaded" as in kick-down the door sort of thing. Ive been sort of expecting it for some years due to one thing and another. The Old Woman says she rests easy knowing that I "can and would deal with anything" likely to come thru the door... Well, I pray that I can live up to her confidence in me should it ever go down.... Hopefully the pit-bull terrier will slow anyone down or give us a warning bark..

Do it different.
Criminals have a system, so slow it down or interrupt it.
I was taught you will not stop a criminal wanting entry, a bad guy and enough people they will gain entry.
Point is to make it difficult to where its not easy.

Off Set Hinges .Heavy pad locks on door, no one suspects that.
Hard wire your system, and use several routers. Not access points.
And have security system hard wired and on different systems.
Dog, don't have one get one. Best alarm on the market.

I used to pull my coil wire on my own car when I went places I couldn't watch it.
You might be able to hot wire it, but do criminals carry spare coil wires.

Stop doing what everyone else does and do it different.

MHO

Argus.
Excellent! I have LONG told people make your stuff a little harder to take. If your vehicle is a little harder to take good chance they will move on to another. Your home a little harder, they move on. Your guns in a safe, ANY safe, they may move on.
For a kick in the door / break in when they know people are home? My idea is just make sure it takes them long enough that I know they are coming. That way good chance they will not get the reception they were expecting. A LOT of these kind of robberies the door was not even locked and or the people in the home had no gun. Some have a gun and its locked up, empty, ammo also locked up. So people in the home are helpless.

It's very helpful to know what techniques the thieving scums use. But I wonder what % use these electronic jamming/disabling techniques? 5%?

I try to follow the reports locally and most are random drugged out or crazy bubblegums breaking in. Next it's single or groups of 3 to 4 people. I haven't yet heard mention locally of electronic disabling but then folks with fancy homes probably aren't going to report that on nextdoor if it happened I would guess?

So I would plan for the most likely scenarios and if you can do reasonable hardening go for it. Perhaps more importantly is be aware of the most common techniques the scum sons of whore mongrel sluts use.

Fe he mentions doors containing glass below. We use dead bolt locks with keys on each side. So in evening key can be removed (don't put it where perp can reach in with wire to get it). Just one small thing that can help slow thieving bubbleguming scum bastards down and there are many of those things a person can do to make it harder for them (as others mentioned above) or make them avoid your house entirely.

If I were to guess the % of likely to run into (in Portland anyway):

Drugged out or crazy bubblegums: 40%
Regular single Scum bastard thieves: 25%
Group of 3-4 scum sucking MF scums: 20%
Scum running fr. active crime scene: 10%
Thieving scums use electronic jamming: 1-5%

For the record I've only personally had the single person type attempted break in. Ring camera caught him before he ever got close to doors or windows. I watched on the ring cams until he was cornered on the premises and confronted him from upstairs window with shotgun in hand (which I did not show him). Ring cameras notified me on my phone well ahead of time.
Saw this on next door today. 2 people inside the house when person came home on 90th st in PDX:

FB1E7E4D-4833-483B-A3AF-679E65F70325.jpeg
297AA0BB-05EB-4B6B-8C07-A55E7B4FB75C.jpeg

Saw this on next door today. 2 people inside the house when person came home on 90th st in PDX:

View attachment 1783244
View attachment 1783245
That "may well" have been a case of mistaken identity. When we were renting I was always careful when first moving in. First thing I did was change the locks as who knew who had keys. Next was to be extra careful for a good while. Who knows who was living there before me and what they were doing. One place decades ago when kids were young. We moved into a 4 bed place. 1st of the month 3 welfare checks come in the mail (back when they still sent checks) in 3 different names. Next day another one shows up in yet another name. Couple days later knock at door and some rough looking female is there. Saying she was expecting a "government check" and wondered if I had seen it. I said 4 of them showed up, I marked all of them and dropped them in a mail box. So god only knows how many damn people were living in that house before us.

1702868864414.png
First blaring warning bell to me is the glass within soooooo easy of a reach of the deadbolt lock inside.
The dobads didn't need to smash all 9 panes, just the one in the bottom right.
Break glass, reach in, turn lock, open door, commence invasion. So simple, a knucklehead could do it.
What I can't believe is the knucklehead that posted on NextDoor couldn't figure that out... :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
First blaring warning bell to me is the glass within soooooo easy of a reach of the deadbolt lock inside.
Break glass, reach in, turn lock, open door, commence invasion. So simple, a knucklehead could do it.
What I can't believe is the knucklehead that posted on NextDoor couldn't figure that out... :rolleyes:
Agree. I posted above (I think?) about using a deadbolt that has a key in both sides if one has a glass paned door. At night or not at home remove key on inside and put it out of reach (including out of reach for a thief with wire or reach tool).

Trying to get a holster. Is this the same size as a sub compact?
Looking at this holster. I wanna hide it.
Thanks

1702868918620.png
The dimensions shown lead me to believe that yes, that's a subcompact pistol, despite what the text says. Those dimensions are virtually identical to my SIG P365 (5.8" L x 4.3" H), which is marketed as a subcompact. I don't see those same dims reflecting a microcompact pistol.

Agree. I posted above (I think?) about using a deadbolt that has a key in both sides if one has a glass paned door. At night or not at home remove key on inside and put it out of reach (including out of reach for a thief with wire or reach tool).
Yes, now that you mention that, I remember you writing that earlier in this thread. :s0155:

Yes, now that you mention that, I remember you writing that earlier in this thread. :s0155:
Probably lots of other fairly easy "hardening" techniques I don't even know about. Lots of poeple mentioned good ones in this thread or maybe the electronic jamming (can't recall thread name) thread.

To me it seems similar to defending a castle or fixed position. Be aware/identify them and if possible stop them at the perimeter. Then slow them down at the front door (ie castle's "gate") and if possible stop them there. If they get through that then execute whatever plan you have for inside the home. Seems like lots of folks think about what to do if they are already inside the home but that should be the very last resort. A simple flashlight or your voice can stop them at the perimeter sometimes.

I think you are right though for PDX very few think about what to do for even that last resort of inside the home. All I ever hear on next door for crimes is "surprise". Always they are surprised that this can happen. They didn't consider the possibility beforehand.

Those are false muntins in the window. Break the pane anywhere, the whole window shatters as safety glass would.

I think they just kicked it in and didn't bother opening the deadbolt cuz it appears the whole piece of door jamb molding is laying on the floor along with a bunch of plaster from lathe and plaster wall. My guess is the glass shattered from the kick. Only a guess though.

I think they just kicked it in and didn't bother opening the deadbolt cuz it appears the whole piece of door jamb molding is laying on the floor along with a bunch of plaster from lathe and plaster wall.
Saw that upon closer inspection. I believe you have the dobads' MO right...

At my first glance, I thought what is the jamb lying on the floor was actually one of those "room divider"-type thresholds. Now I see that the entrance rug extends underneath it on both sides of the jamb.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads