JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Trying to regulate well water? Give me a break. It goes right back into the soil.
No, or else plants wouldn't need it to survive. Using energy from sunlight, they electrolyze water to split off the hydrogen, to combine with CO2 from the atmosphere to make sugar. The surplus oxygen from the water is released as atmospheric oxygen. Plants use some of the water to make the sugar for energy to drive their cells. The mass is not recaptured as water, but as carbon and nitrogen compounds and escaped oxygen. That reduces the overall volume of groundwater. You perceive it as going "right back into the soil" but that is only the excess of water that the plants didn't absorb through roots or leaf stomata. This is taught in basic high school biology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosynthesis

The two questions to counter any argument: "Oh yeah?" "So what?" The "oh yeah" is above. The "so what" is: So apply for a permit. So what? They're probably not going to say no unless you're growing so much that you're selling it, so you're actually operating a farm and trying to cheat other farmers who get proper permits and fairly pay their agricultural business taxes.

Last Edited:
fear baiting & bogus, hysterical & deliberately misleading posts are crap. That's to be expected from folks like the anti gun bedwetters or officials from multnomah county. But here? No way.
If people today only understood the big picture.
This fear mongering has developed wings now people fear what ever they are told to.
No fortitude today by any means.

No, or else plants wouldn't need it to survive. Using energy from sunlight, they electrolyze water to split off the hydrogen, to combine with CO2 from the atmosphere to make sugar. The surplus oxygen from the water is released as atmospheric oxygen. Plants use some of the water to make the sugar for energy to drive their cells. The mass is not recaptured as water, but as carbon and nitrogen compounds and escaped oxygen. That reduces the overall volume of groundwater. You perceive it as going "right back into the soil" but that is only the excess of water that the plants didn't absorb through roots or leaf stomata. This is taught in basic high school biology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosynthesis

The two questions to counter any argument: "Oh yeah?" "So what?" The "oh yeah" is above. The "so what" is: So apply for a permit. So what? They're probably not going to say no unless you're growing so much that you're selling it, so you're actually operating a farm and trying to cheat other farmers who get proper permits and fairly pay their agricultural business taxes.
Look at the actual regulations. They are not going after "cheating farmers" They are trying to quash small farmers to support big ones. Oregon regulations stipulate that there is a 5000gal/day commercial exemption for wells. So basically the law says the first 5000 gals are free. That is enough to water up to several acres depending on weather conditions. But Oregon regulators are trying to say that farming is not eligible for this exemptions, despite the fact that there is no such stipulation in the law. They are doing this so they can shut down or price out the smallest commercial farms, for the benefit of the larger commercial farms. The way they are trying to enforce this regulation also could mean that they intend to enforce this restriction even against non-commercial farmers, as non-commercial wells are technically for "residential use only" and the Oregon regulators have stated they do not see large gardens as "residential use" regardless of if you are selling the produce or not.

So yes, this could just be the first step in eliminating many types of personal gardening. It is definitely being enforces against the smallest commercial farms right now, despite there being an explicit carve out in the law for them.

Come and take em, lol
Potatoes, lettuces and radishes have sprouted.

IMG_0928.jpeg IMG_0917.jpeg IMG_0918.jpeg IMG_0919.jpeg IMG_0864.jpeg

Look at the actual regulations. They are not going after "cheating farmers" They are trying to quash small farmers to support big ones. Oregon regulations stipulate that there is a 5000gal/day commercial exemption for wells. So basically the law says the first 5000 gals are free. That is enough to water up to several acres depending on weather conditions. But Oregon regulators are trying to say that farming is not eligible for this exemptions, despite the fact that there is no such stipulation in the law. They are doing this so they can shut down or price out the smallest commercial farms, for the benefit of the larger commercial farms. The way they are trying to enforce this regulation also could mean that they intend to enforce this restriction even against non-commercial farmers, as non-commercial wells are technically for "residential use only" and the Oregon regulators have stated they do not see large gardens as "residential use" regardless of if you are selling the produce or not.

So yes, this could just be the first step in eliminating many types of personal gardening. It is definitely being enforces against the smallest commercial farms right now, despite there being an explicit carve out in the law for them.
You know....for a party whose voters claim to hate Corporations and big business, they sure do love to give them kickbacks, money, and benefits whenever they want.

Looks like you have your chit together.

(Really bad potato gardener pun - sorry!) :p
It's my first year trying to do potatoes. Also my first year doing everything from seed. I may supplement with some store bought stuff later on, but last year I bought some plants from Home Depot that were so inundated with bugs that I won't get them there again.

It's my first year trying to do potatoes. Also my first year doing everything from seed. I may supplement with some store bought stuff later on, but last year I bought some plants from Home Depot that were so inundated with bugs that I won't get them there again.
Good luck with your taters! FWIW, the soil where I am in Yamhill County is heavy clay, so I need to use raised beds. There are lots of ways to grow potatoes though and a quick check in the internet will show you a lot of good info.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top