JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Assuming you started with .223/5.56, what caliber would be next for you? (Choose up to 3)

• 6.8 SPC

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • 6.5 Grendel

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • .300 BLK

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • 7.62x39

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • 5.45x39

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • .458 SOCOM

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • 9mm

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Other Pistol Caliber

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Other? Specify below

Votes: 16 14.8%

• Total voters
I voted 9mm.

Especially if you own any Glock in 9mm and the ever increasing amount of Glock based lowers becoming available.

7.62x39 is a great option just stick to 20 rounders or 10 round mags. Also there are a few tricks to making a 7.62x39 AR run a bit better. The biggest issue is the taper on the cases trying to feed up the last portion of the mag, where it is primarily straight. It is a very permanent fix but it helps. Basically you would create one large feed ramp. Then extend it past the barrel to the receiver. This allows the "not facing the right direction" rounds to feed a bit better. The taper allows the round to sort of point down at times. Which means the round gets jammed into the flat portion of the upper receiver. Basically your creating a large feed ramp, like that of the AK47.
Bushy_762x39_ramp.jpg
However in my opinion, if I were to add 7.62x39 to my list of calibers, I would most certainly just buy an AK47. Building an AR in the caliber would likely be around if not over the cost of an entry level AK.

Bushy_762x39_ramp.jpg

9mm. All the way. For short range CQB tactical use its a perfect carbine IMHO. I have an extra multi-cal lower I am seriously considering one for if I can find a reasonably priced upper and magwell inserts.

I'm a bit surprised at how many folks are interested in the 9mm. I didn't realize it had such a broad appeal. Good to know.
9mm is the new 22lr. Seeing that you can't find 22 anymore I see more and more people going to 9mm for their plinking needs.

.300 BLK with an Osprey .45 suppressor.

The Osprey will handle your .45, 9mm, and rifle, and the .300 will give you the mass to plow through heavy obstructions without making a lot of racket.

For long range hunt and sniping duties I'd go with a bolt-action in .308 or larger depending on the reach you'd need.

.300 BLK with an Osprey .45 suppressor.

The Osprey will handle your .45, 9mm, and rifle, and the .300 will give you the mass to plow through heavy obstructions without making a lot of racket.

For long range hunt and sniping duties I'd go with a bolt-action in .308 or larger depending on the reach you'd need.
x2 on the osprey though i heard from the guys at curts that repeated use with 300blk subs will ruin it.

I would look at the 9mm for fun, I'm surprised no one has mentioned a .22lr yet.
Also, I am a fan of the 6.8. I have had 2, and if i were shopping for another rifle right now I would be looking pretty hard at putting a 20" upper together for a hunting rifle.

Another option no one has brought up is the 6x45, much like the sharps but pushing a little smaller pill. Neat thing about them is they will push a 55gr .243 faster than the parent round can, then turn around and run 100+gr long range bullets.

I'm surprised also with all the 9mm responses.But i see the point with 22lr being hard to find.
I would really like a 10mm that takes glock mags and some glock 20 mags that hold 30 rounds
Not so sure I want to invest in Oly arms with them being the only source for the mags
I have a 7mm so the 6.5s don't seem necessary (I know what's that got to do with it) so i will look at the 204 rem and if some others interested in the 25X45 sharps would get off the fence and field test this round:D it would be interesting.
No matter what platform, a 20-25cal rifle will be next on the list
And if you don't care about being suppressed then go with the 7.62X39 as it very similar ballistics to the 300.And ammo is WAY cheaper.But,yeah,you need the AK/AR lower that takes AK mags

Myself, I just don't get pistol caliber long guns, if you are already have the size and weight of a carbine you may as well have the power to go along with it.

So you dont own a .22 rifle?

I have AR's in 5.56 and .308 as well as 9MM. The 9's are a kick. They are light and cheap to shoot and just fun to play with (and take my Ti-Rant suppressor)

I understand, Until I shot one I thought pistol carbines were stupid. Now I own three and just bought a 9MM Tavor (granted one of the reasons for it was I got the Ratworxs integrated can for it which just seems spiffy)

The 9's are play things. "stopping power" does not come into it. They ring the steel and punch holes just as well as a "real" round.

9mm. All the way. For short range CQB tactical use its a perfect carbine IMHO. I have an extra multi-cal lower I am seriously considering one for if I can find a reasonably priced upper and magwell inserts.

i have bought 4 of the $399 PSA AR9 kits. I had a little spring issue with one but other than that they have been great (two are mine and two I put together for a family friend).

PSA now has a "hybrid" system that the upper will work with either a colt SMG style mag or with a Glock mag lower. Those are a bit more but seem interesting

i have bought 4 of the $399 PSA AR9 kits. I had a little spring issue with one but other than that they have been great (two are mine and two I put together for a family friend).

PSA now has a "hybrid" system that the upper will work with either a colt SMG style mag or with a Glock mag lower. Those are a bit more but seem interesting

So is that compatible with a standard lower? The 9mm kits I've seen usually just include a magwell adapter. Or does that upper require a dedicated lower? I'd love to do a 9mm build that runs on Glock mags. I've been keeping my eyes on those PSA kits for a while now.

I would look at the 9mm for fun, I'm surprised no one has mentioned a .22lr yet.

I thought about adding .22lr to the list, but since there is a pretty decent market of dedicated .22lr AR style rifles, I kind of figured they were their own beast. I've got an M&P 15-22 which is a fantastic .22lr AR. S&W got it right with that one. It's a heck of a lot of fun to shoot, my wife really enjoys it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top