JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Assuming you started with .223/5.56, what caliber would be next for you? (Choose up to 3)

• 6.8 SPC

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • 6.5 Grendel

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • .300 BLK

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • 7.62x39

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • 5.45x39

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • .458 SOCOM

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • 9mm

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Other Pistol Caliber

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Other? Specify below

Votes: 16 14.8%

• Total voters
Think what ever you like. I once thought the same. However after having a few 9MM carbines I wont ever be without one. They are just fun and it has nothing to do with "power"

Why would anyone want a .300 BLK? I can shoot my suppressed 9MM carbines for a fraction of the cost with factory ammo.

Think what ever you like. I once thought the same. However after having a few 9MM carbines I wont ever be without one. They are just fun and it has nothing to do with "power"

Why would anyone want a .300 BLK? I can shoot my suppressed 9MM carbines for a fraction of the cost with factory ammo.
that's cool
your just in one camp.
people pick up weapons for all sorts of reasons , you have stated many times of how you like to punch paper and that is awesome. You pick up a weapon and have little concern for what it is really for

A guy like Tits picks up a weapon and critiques it on its intended purpose first, then says I better go to the range and punch some paper to see if it hits

a guy could write a page on your 300blk question but you cant send 220 gr at 1000fps in a 9mm, a 9mm is no where near as effective at range.....all kinds of reasons a 300 is superior to a 9mm in a carbine platform......but again you don't care because a 30 cal hole is a 30 cal hole in paper......nothing wrong with it

that's cool
your just in one camp.
people pick up weapons for all sorts of reasons , you have stated many times of how you like to punch paper and that is awesome. You pick up a weapon and have little concern for what it is really for

A guy like Tits picks up a weapon and critiques it on its intended purpose first, then says I better go to the range and punch some paper to see if it hits

a guy could write a page on your 300blk question but you cant send 220 gr at 1000fps in a 9mm, a 9mm is no where near as effective at range.....all kinds of reasons a 300 is superior to a 9mm in a carbine platform......but again you don't care because a 30 cal hole is a 30 cal hole in paper......nothing wrong with it

I have 50 ish rifles, I think at the moment around 15 AR's. I have 4 in .308 as well as a couple HK-91 clones. If for what ever reason I "needed" a modern sporting rifle for anything other than sport I got it sorted.

So I think your logic is sound if you own one or two, I can see it being important if you have a single rifle and that rifle has a actual purpose. If I had one it would not be a 9MM. Fortunately "fun" for me is a legitimate reason to own one.

.a guy could write a page on your 300blk question but you cant send 220 gr at 1000fps in a 9mm..
I think you can send a 170gr 9x19 to 1000.. out of a regular duty handgun no problems. anyway
Me, I'd maybe think about getting a nice 22-24" tube.. 7 twist, 5.56.. for flattening primers with 80 grainers or so.

25/45 Sharps Yeah, there are a few out there that are just "Change the barrel."
I sure liked the .358 Gremlin. Another just change the barrel, but then I think...new dies, another mold, fiddle around blowing out and reforming brass, then working up another load ladder. :( I'm running out of storage now because I don't get enough time to shoot what I've got.:cool:

I live 5 minutes away from Beavercreek indoor range. They won't let me shoot my AR15. But they will let me shoot any of my rifles in a pistol caliber. I don't think they allow 300BK either. Another good reason for PCC.

My main reason behind my PCC was to replace my 10/22 as my main go to plinking gun, at least until I can regularly buy 22 again at 3-6 cents a round. I can reload 9mm for roughly 10-15 cents a round depending on how much primers and bullets are at the time. With 22 at around 10 cents a round from hawkers on Armslist and zero in stores. I have become a 9mm plinker, as well as not shooting as much. It sort of levels out.

Truly though, I get the counter argument. Yes you can plink with 223/556 or even 308. It just gets more expensive that way. If you can pay to play, more power to you! Yes the true intended purpose of a centerfire rifle is for it to fire a centerfire round. Set aside the tactical, SHTF, EOTWAWKI, as well as competitions and such scenarios, I am still a boy raised on weekends spent plinking with a 10/22. I am deeply saddened for those kids growing up that won't know that. However it may just be those kids will grow up plinking 9mm.

I'm of the mind that if a person already has their "tools" one should be able to look into fun stuff. After getting spare parts, ammo, and magazines (if it uses a detachable magazine) that is.

To each their own on that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads