JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Assuming you started with .223/5.56, what caliber would be next for you? (Choose up to 3)

• 6.8 SPC

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • 6.5 Grendel

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • .300 BLK

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • 7.62x39

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • 5.45x39

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • .458 SOCOM

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • 9mm

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Other Pistol Caliber

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Other? Specify below

Votes: 16 14.8%

• Total voters
I have been considering a long action cal version of the AR platform! I really love the old wildcat 6.5/06 or the old 6.5/55 swed. A 7 mm rem mag might also be a really nice build!
If you go 7mm you'll find that ball ammo is more difficult to find; as for me, in the current political climate, I would take the money and spend it on heavier weight bullets for the 556, match grade triggers for my current rifles, improved optics or perhaps a Pro-shooter's course.

If you go 7mm you'll find that ball ammo is more difficult to find; as for me, in the current political climate, I would take the money and spend it on heavier weight bullets for the 556, match grade triggers for my current rifles, improved optics or perhaps a Pro-shooter's course.
I am just about finished with my little CAR 15 build. I specifically went with the new M-4 pattern barrel in a 1/7 twist WYLDE chamber to take advantage of the new M851 ammo coming on line! Its a shooter now and can handle up to 82 grain hunting loads remarkably well!

Why would anyone want a .300 BLK? I can shoot my suppressed 9MM carbines for a fraction of the cost with factory ammo.
I wanted a medium range .308 and don't want a 7.62x39. The 300 BLK works in the AR platform and is both fun to build and shoot. Love reloading now that it is beyond 'wildcat'. Ammo & supplies have really dropped.
Many of us do not shoot 300 BLK suppressed with all the current stamp hassles. Let 'er crack! ;)

I am just about finished with my little CAR 15 build. I specifically went with the new M-4 pattern barrel in a 1/7 twist WYLDE chamber to take advantage of the new M851 ammo coming on line! Its a shooter now and can handle up to 82 grain hunting loads remarkably well!

M855A1 or something else?

M855A1 is a steel tip penetrator on top of a copper core. Still 62 grain. Only 77 grain military (our military anyways) ammo I heard of is the Mk262 ammo.
It was news to me as well. My cousin is still active army and says they have been working with a "new" steel tipped 77 gr load! He says it has issues with the tips wearing feed ramps and has to be used with new gen P-MAGS or modified mag followers on older mags! I cannot find any info on this or if it really is a new load or not. He does say its pretty much a done deal and will start being issued this very soon as a standard loading!

Only reason to replace a follower on an old mag is if the follower is worn out or you want an anti-tilt follower. Ammo won't change what magazine you can or can't use. Except the really heavy round that's too big for a magazine anyways.

As for the 77 grain steel tip, I doubt it.

Only reason to replace a follower on an old mag is if the follower is worn out or you want an anti-tilt follower. Ammo won't change what magazine you can or can't use. Except the really heavy round that's too big for a magazine anyways.

As for the 77 grain steel tip, I doubt it.
Again, I'm not sure of this. As far as I am concerned, any ammo I can reliably use is the goal! I will ask for specifics from my cousin and find out what he is referring to! I have never had any problems with ammo feeding or wearing feed ramps so that is new to me as well! Also I have a big stack of old mil spec mags with green followers and have never had issues with those ether!

While I am a bit biased. I would build a 6.5 Grendel.
Reasons. I can do with my 20"AR15 what anyone can do with their 308 in AR10 (with the possible exception of blowing apart a cement wall) and one hell of a lot more comfortably and easily. With much better wind and drop long range than an AR10. I've shot them side by side and I sold my DPMS SASS. My friend is selling his also and having me build him a Grendel. Ammo is sold at Bi mart and there are dozens of factory loading for it.
My second choice would be a 300blk in a pistol with a suppressor. Mainly for home defense.

While I am a bit biased. I would build a 6.5 Grendel.
Reasons. I can do with my 20"AR15 what anyone can do with their 308 in AR10 (with the possible exception of blowing apart a cement wall) and one hell of a lot more comfortably and easily. With much better wind and drop long range than an AR10. I've shot them side by side and I sold my DPMS SASS. My friend is selling his also and having me build him a Grendel. Ammo is sold at Bi mart and there are dozens of factory loading for it.
My second choice would be a 300blk in a pistol with a suppressor. Mainly for home defense.

I do like what I've been reading about the Grendel. Sounds like a nice round.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top