JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Exactly. On NBC news this morning there is a story about a 20 year-old white woman that got shot by a 65 year-old man in upstate NY when her friend pulled into a rural driveway. Do we need a thread for that as well?

Better question is why is OP posting racially charged threads? Every time race is brought up, the thread ends up being a mess and winds up getting closed down.

Stir the pot much???

Note: I have no issue with discussing gun incidents w/o the race factor.

It's sad. Anything bad that ever happens to a POC is automatically hyped to the gills and has to be a race issue. Crump and Sharpton and a few others have made a living off of it.

Sometimes people just do dumb stuff because they're dumb.

because of dumb gun owner bubblegum like this that reinforces the idea that gun owners are ignorant, callous morons.
Well, some are.

Add to this not untypical age related ignorance coupled with self righteousness, an almost complete lack of understanding of the laws along with angry, self centered attitudes and you have a very dangerous armed person.

Trust me - I see this often with a lot of older men. They believe they have 'earned the right' to be grumpy, angry and basically hate the whole world. Some are nearly oblivious to everything and believe they have the right to say or do whatever THEY believe is right.

I carry concealed every day, but it's a weapon of very last resort, not my first go to when I feel threatened or merely uncertain.

I'm not yet 84, but you could argue I live in a high crime city.
So as I asked in my first post- ii it were your teenager accidentally ringing my doorbell, or approaching me when I'm working in my garage or when I'm loading groceries into my car and my first response was to shoot them in the head because I "felt threatened" you'd be thinking that was probably reasonable use of lethal force?

I applaud those who defend themselves from real and genuine threats, but this and the killing of Kaylin Gillis, are just f**ked up.
They're those who love guns, those who passionately hate guns, but the largely ambivalent center ground is moving against us because of dumb gun owner bubblegum like this that reinforces the idea that gun owners are ignorant, callous morons.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with what you're saying here.
But you might be missing the point.

Why is no one on this forum talking about this?

Black teen sent to pick up his younger brothers from friend's house mistakes 115th St with 115th Terrace, rings doorbell at wrong house, and is shot in the head through the storm door by the white home-owner with seemingly no words exchanged, followed by a second shot once he is on the ground. Teen manages to get to neighboring houses looking for help, where he is denied help at at least one residence and only finally has emergency services called for him after being told to lie on the ground with his hands up.

While heartbreaking, many factors are needed to be explained: Why is race hyper focused on? Isn't this more just a case of someone so mentally spooked that they happened to use deadly force where it wasn't needed? Is this story hyper focused on simply because the shooter was white and the victim is black? How many black on black shootings does NPR write about? Seriously how many in comparison?.. this seems more like their usual white versus black type rhetoric they purposely push for an agenda to fuel race issues.. and often before election cycles.. just wait.. this will somehow be used as a means to blame conservatives.. often linking the white person to a conservative somehow.
While it's a bad shot and heartbreaking for the family, short of charging the shooter for being too mentally rattled and pulling a bad shot.. this doesn't need the media to perpetuate some sick race narrative.

Something that also needs to be considered:
The exact local area this took place and the amount of home invasions there has been. YouTube is full of armed teens knocking on doors, gabbing on doors and they can be seen holding a firearm/weapons or have 2-3 friends waiting in the background on ring camera video.. This is so common it's now expected depending on where you live in some instances.. Feel free to look them up as I mentioned before, on YouTube.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with what you're saying here.
But you might be missing the point.
As usual in these threads, there's a lot of different points :- was it a race thing/media skewing/ people not wanting to believe the kid wasn't trying to rob the guy, people just throwing in easily checked BS about him being 6 miles away and selective extracts from witness statements( the teen says he never had a hand on any door in his BTW) and in amongst all this twisting and turning to legitimise or excuse the actions of the homeowner, even as more facts emerge, very few responses have been :" my god, this is a horrible situation- that poor kid, I hope he recovers" .because all he is guilty of, as far as the evidence shows, is confusing "street" with "terrace" and ringing a doorbell.

Quote From a live newscaster:

Lester told detectives he was 'Scared to death' and that he thought Ralph Yarl was 'Trying to break into his home'
Isn't that when one should take up a fortified position and blast anything coming through the threshold as opposed to tossing rounds though the door and seeing what happens?

very few responses have been :" my god, this is a horrible situation- that poor kid, I hope he recovers"
I think the reason behind that (aside from the fact that there are very few facts presented) lies in the obvious angle of the thread starter.

Quote From a live newscaster:

Lester told detectives he was 'Scared to death' and that he thought Ralph Yarl was 'Trying to break into his home'
When he heard the doorbell ring, he had a couple of options. He chose to go and see who it was (fair enough) and then chose without speaking to the teen who was on the outside of another door, or asking him what he wanted, instead just shot him in the head.

Again, if you had a teen, say 6 foot, and he came to my door and rang my bell, you'd be cool with me wordlessly shooting him in the head, then saying "he was bigger and stronger than me and I was scared for my life" ?

Again, if you had a teen, say 6 foot, and he came to my door and rang my bell, you'd be cool with me wordlessly shooting him in the head, then saying "he was bigger and stronger than me and I was scared for my life" ?
I was simply quoting a newscaster as to what Lester said to the dicks, - not inferring an opinion but to answer your question of course I would NOT be OK with you 'shooting him in the head'.

It appears (from what I have seen so far on this) Lester did the wrong thing...

Just pointing out again that it was 10pm, it was dark and he was old and afraid. Probably watching the news on crime and violence earlier.

Not saying he was justified but scared people will shoot those that scare them.

As usual in these threads, there's a lot of different points :- was it a race thing/media skewing/ people not wanting to believe the kid wasn't trying to rob the guy, people just throwing in easily checked BS about him being 6 miles away and selective extracts from witness statements( the teen says he never had a hand on any door in his BTW) and in amongst all this twisting and turning to legitimise or excuse the actions of the homeowner, even as more facts emerge, very few responses have been :" my god, this is a horrible situation- that poor kid, I hope he recovers" .because all he is guilty of, as far as the evidence shows, is confusing "street" with "terrace" and ringing a doorbell.

I think the reason behind that (aside from the fact that there are very few facts presented) lies in the obvious angle of the thread starter.

You can't read minds….. there's a LOT of fail in the entire situation, but me not virtue signaling my feelings on the inter-webs for all to see doesn't mean I don't care, or am not as "good a person" as those who do.

Remember….

Bad things happen to the good and bad alike, and it's not that we don't care, it's just that….. we don't care.

;) :D

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top