JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
You can't read minds….. there's a LOT of fail in the entire situation, but me not virtue signaling my feelings on the inter-webs for all to see doesn't mean I don't care, or am not as "good a person" as those who do.

Remember….

Bad things happen to the good and bad alike, and it's not that we don't care, it's just that….. we don't care.

;) :D
"Strangers die every day. "

The butthole surfers

Am I glad that it looks like young Mister Yarl will recover....yes.
Does this situation read ( so far ) like a "bad shoot" ...yes again.

However...
Automatically believing someone ...And taking a strong , in your face stance on something with limited accurate information ...
Is something that I won't do.

Others obviously will.
Which is fine for them....it just ain't fine for me.
Andy

Again, if you had a teen, say 6 foot, and he came to my door and rang my bell, you'd be cool with me wordlessly shooting him in the head, then saying "he was bigger and stronger than me and I was scared for my life" ?
My short answer: "No. I wouldn't be cool with it."

This thread is on its sixth page, so maybe I missed it if someone said they were cool with it?

I'm just tired of reading, eating, seeing, hearing, being bombarded by George Floyd crap. When will he appear on the one dollar bill? A gross situation all the way around. Thugs, all of them. Some people are just idiots, which there is no cure. Whites, Blacks and every color in between has flaws, myself included. I chose not to get involved in this particular situation. I'm going to bury my head in the sand and let it pass.

I think the reason behind that (aside from the fact that there are very few facts presented) lies in the obvious angle of the thread starter.
Several facts have been known since yesterdays statements by the sheriff and DA..
The only point of real contention has been did the teen open the storm door. Shooter says yes, teen says no.
The circumstances for him being at that house have not been contested- he was going to pick up his siblings and got the streets confused. He was black, the shooter was white.
Would he have been shot so quickly, or at all, if he were white? We don't know, but I don't think that it's unreasonable to ask that question, whether or not you agree on the answer.

White woman Kaylin Gillis, just got shot dead by a white homeowner when her and her friends got lost and drove up his driveway on Saturday. That is just as equally tragic

OP here (was at work all day, lots has been said since I first posted)....

My intention in posting was truly some surprise that this story hadn't yet surfaced on this forum. It had been THE big national shooting news story of the previous 24 hours and I was genuinely curious why it hadn't been referenced/analyzed/armchair quarterbacked by our forum members. It seemed to me that members are awfully quick to post and glorify stories of a "good guy with a gun" blasting at robbers/assailants/car thieves but are a lot more reluctant to post about stories that seem (from initial indications/coverage) to be a bad shoot. There is plenty to learn from in a story like this.

For those who say "I didn't know about it because there are so many shootings that happen everywhere, how could I possibly pay attention," many of the other threads in this sub-forum are about shootings elsewhere (Chicago, Houston, etc), and this was certainly national news.

For those who say that race is irrelevant to a case like this: I have a really hard time believing that (A)an elder black man who answered the door would have immediately perceived as a threat or shot this black teen; (B)this elder white man would have immediately perceived as a threat or shot a white teen; (C)a black man who shot a white teen in the same circumstances would have been released from police custody so quickly. This story, to me, is a prime example of what racial justice advocates describe as the dangers of being black in America, that you can just be about your business and face lethal violence for (seemingly) no reason other than the color of your skin. You skeptics who believe that this honor-roll student, all-state band member, and aspiring chemical engineering student was probably actually trying to break into the house? Crock of bubblegum and you know it.

I agree that there is an unreasonable amount of virtue signalling by celebrities and politicians related to a case like this.... I don't think the teen needs to be invited to the White House any more or less than any other shooting victim.

I appreciate the discussion this has stimulated and I guess we'll all see how things play out.

While heartbreaking, many factors are needed to be explained: Why is race hyper focused on? Isn't this more just a case of someone so mentally spooked that they happened to use deadly force where it wasn't needed? Is this story hyper focused on simply because the shooter was white and the victim is black? How many black on black shootings does NPR write about? Seriously how many in comparison?.. this seems more like their usual white versus black type rhetoric they purposely push for an agenda to fuel race issues.. and often before election cycles.. just wait.. this will somehow be used as a means to blame conservatives.. often linking the white person to a conservative somehow.
While it's a bad shot and heartbreaking for the family, short of charging the shooter for being too mentally rattled and pulling a bad shot.. this doesn't need the media to perpetuate some sick race narrative.

Something that also needs to be considered:
The exact local area this took place and the amount of home invasions there has been. YouTube is full of armed teens knocking on doors, gabbing on doors and they can be seen holding a firearm/weapons or have 2-3 friends waiting in the background on ring camera video.. This is so common it's now expected depending on where you live in some instances.. Feel free to look them up as I mentioned before, on YouTube.
Race hustlers are always drumming up the issue for $$$.

Race hustlers have been doing it forever. Booker T. Washington even mentions them.

Probably pretty close, but I do take except with him putting words in the potato's bumbling mouth, he never said to shoot through the door, he said to go out on to the balcony and shoot 2 rounds outside. (see post #80 for Xiden's actual words)
Right. I keep hearing that, and not just from that guy. Enough to almost start wondering if I misremember.

The reason that the story and discussion has not shown up is most likely due to the lack of information. At this times, it's only "clear" to a few people as to what happened.

If it was a bad shoot, which it sounds like, then the trial will sus out what occurred. That said, we don't discuss every bad shoot on the forum, ie every single gang shooting doesn't require a new thread.

I'm all for analyzing a situation from as impartial a lens as possible to see what we can learn from it, but it's kinda hard to analyze the facts of what occurred with people theorizing motive and intent of both the shooter and shootee. Also, claiming a racial element basically eliminates any chance of having a civil and dispassionate discussion.

Flame me if you're blind, immature, or simple minded enough to not understand. But it is what it is. I am not at all a racist, but I am pretty good at seeing truths.

Simple statistical math would show that old man that he was more likely to be robbed, or worse, by a young black man at his door at 10pm than by a young white girl.
That he was more likely to be robbed, or worse, by a young black man at his door at 10pm than to be asked the time by said young black man.
" " than to be sold girl scout cookies " "
" " [insert any other possible motive for a random someone to be at your door at 10pm] " ".
So why not skip the "it's cause he's black that no one cares" and "he's black so the old man and everyone who sympathizes with him are racist" type arguments.

From the little real info we have, it's pretty clear the old fella should have reclosed and locked the door without shooting. He should have backed his old àss into a corner and called 911, only shooting if the kid made it inside.
He shouldn't have fired based on the info shared. But it's not hard to imagine why he did.

Forgive me for not reading 6 pages (just seeing this thread now) but what is the evidence presented so far that the old man was racially motivated to shoot the kid?

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads