JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Why is no one on this forum talking about this?

Black teen sent to pick up his younger brothers from friend's house mistakes 115th St with 115th Terrace, rings doorbell at wrong house, and is shot in the head through the storm door by the white home-owner with seemingly no words exchanged, followed by a second shot once he is on the ground. Teen manages to get to neighboring houses looking for help, where he is denied help at at least one residence and only finally has emergency services called for him after being told to lie on the ground with his hands up.

Why is no one on this forum talking about this?

Black teen sent to pick up his younger brothers from friend's house mistakes 115th St with 115th Terrace, rings doorbell at wrong house, and is shot in the head through the storm door by the white home-owner with seemingly no words exchanged, followed by a second shot once he is on the ground. Teen manages to get to neighboring houses looking for help, where he is denied help at at least one residence and only finally has emergency services called for him after being told to lie on the ground with his hands up.

Well wonder why "no one is talking about this" huh?
This is from the link you put up.
{"Gun violence against unarmed Black individuals must stop. Our children should feel safe, not as though they are being hunted.}
So I had read about this right after it happened but "news" seemed slim. Now more does seem to be coming out but, "information" from a "news source" making comments like above makes me question anything they report. They did say the shooter was 84 so "maybe" someone who has some limited cognition? Or of course maybe its just a Klan member since that gets clicks? Right?
How many young black people are shot every week in one city alone like Chitown? Do you also wonder why this is not being "talked about" or is it completely acceptable that the shooting nightly in some of the big cities of people of color are not news? Keeps me wondering alright.

"Many details about the shooting are still unclear".

This statement from the article is important , to me at least.
Difficult to talk intelligently about something , if details are unclear.

What details that are present are from the side of Ralph Yarl and his lawyer.
So...that is one side of the story.
I would not want someone to judge me or the situation that I am in or coming from , based only on one perspective.

Also worth considering is that the article "reads" with a specific slant.

Please note that I am not on anyone's "side" in this...
I am saying that before I am willing to talk about something...I would like more information.

Also understand that while I am all for self / home defense...
You gotta be 100 % in the "right"...otherwise you will be screwed , blued and tattooed...
And even then if you are 100 % in the "right"....there is still a fair chance of being screwed over.
Andy

What with all the new magical thinking I'd not be surprised if the snowflake thought his life in danger and a jury agreeing with him.
Didn't click.

I don't care why this octogenarian decided to shoot an unarmed teenager standing on his porch through a closed door. If you shoot someone under these circumstances it is unjustified. That's what needed to get said here. Racism seems to have played a part of this 84 year olds decision making according to law enforcement, although a crime was still committed by him even if not so motivated. No way to justify the use of a firearm under these circumstances.

I've read that he was shot through a closed glass door but have seen pictures of a wood door. I've also read that the young man said he opened the door and talked to him. I don't believe there's enough information.

I've read that he was shot through a closed glass door but have seen pictures of a wood door. I've also read that the young man said he opened the door and talked to him. I don't believe there's enough information.
I'll bet there's a lot more information, that "media" will sort through to get the most reaction. That's all "media" cares about. 'Course a large portion of the public likes to have something to gorge on and then puke out their own biased interpretation of the situation.
Suggestion: Don't read it.

-Unfollowing-

I don't care why this octogenarian decided to shoot an unarmed teenager standing on his porch through a closed door. If you shoot someone under these circumstances it is unjustified. That's what needed to get said here. Racism seems to have played a part of this 84 year olds decision making according to law enforcement, although a crime was still committed by him even if not so motivated. No way to justify the use of a firearm under these circumstances.

Except…. you don't know the totality of the circumstances (if you're just going off the noted article in the OP that is skewed), yet you appear to have already made up your mind.

See how that works? ;)

I'm not implying this was a justified or unjustified shooting, I'm merely pointing out that society has become a "sound-bite mob" which is easy for "word smiths" to manipulate.

Except…. you don't know the totality of the circumstances (if you're just going off the noted article in the OP that is skewed), yet you appear to have already made up your mind.

See how that works? ;)

I'm not implying this was a justified or unjustified shooting, I'm merely pointing out that society has become a "sound-bite mob" which is easy for "word smiths" to manipulate.
I never opine without researching the issue. My opinion remains that shooting an unarmed stranger on your front porch through a closed door is not justifiable under any circumstances. No exceptions.

I never opine without researching the issue. My opinion remains that shooting an unarmed stranger on your front porch through a closed door is not justifiable under any circumstances. No exceptions.
I'm not saying this was the case, or that the young man isn't telling the truth. But at this point, we only have a story from one side. Similar to the Trayvon Martin reporting, is this as cut and dry as the media is portraying it? It could be, but it could also be a son story. I don't think there's enough information....

Yes, shooting an unarmed person on your porch is not acceptable. Period.

*Pure speculation* but if the unarmed person were attacking, the story changes. And as mentioned in this thread, there is not enough information to make any opinion.

Do not take my speculative nature to believe the young man was doing anything other than what he stated to the police. But at the same time, I do not trust the media.

Why is nobody on here talking about it? Probably because Portland alone provides ample conversational content. Additionally, what limited information available concerning this story is conflicting, and lastly, it's really not that interesting of a story besides all the calls of "clear rasicim."

There's no eye witnesses, so everything is purely conjecture at this point. Did the kid try and force entry, thinking his siblings were in danger? Did the kid pick up some sort of improvised weapon? Has the old man been robbed before from a similar encounter? All details that need to determined.

I tend to wait for the entire story but even then the media lies so much that the truth is hard to find.

Media manipulation happens when they feed out drips and drabs to keep the pot boiling.

Where is the manifesto from the Christian school shooting, why hasn't it been posted?

It's been all over the news this past 2 days- details have been quite clear since yesterday evening.
Earl goes to wrong address to pick up twin siblings, rings doorbell. Doesn't even get to say word to homeowner, Andrew Lester before getting shot in the head through the glass door. Lester steps out and shoots him a second time in the arm while he's lying on the ground.
It's not been mentioned here thus far because there's more than a few people on here are hoping some twist will emerge that somehow makes it reasonable for the homeowner to have shot the teen, because, frankly, they'd probably do the same.

Im sure some on here have healthy teenage sons who are bigger & fitter than me. If one of them accidentally rang my doorbell looking for their friends, would they be ok with me shooting them in the head, just in case they "might" do something bad.?

It's been all over the news this past 2 days- details have been quite clear since yesterday evening.
Earl goes to wrong address to pick up twin siblings, rings doorbell. Doesn't even get to say word to homeowner, Andrew Lester before getting shot in the head through the glass door. Lester steps out and shoots him a second time in the arm while he's lying on the ground.
It's not been mentioned here thus far because there's more than a few people on here are hoping some twist will emerge that somehow makes it reasonable for the homeowner to have shot the teen, because, frankly, they'd probably do the same.

Im sure some on here have healthy teenage sons who are bigger & fitter than me. If one of them accidentally rang my doorbell looking for their friends, would they be ok with me shooting them in the head, just in case they "might" do something bad.?
Bold claim.

I wonder about the motivation the OP has for bringing up such an event. It already sounds like there isn't a whole lot to talk about.

Being in possession of a gun doesn't have any influence whatsoever on good/bad morality and decision making.

:rolleyes:
Or, because most on here know how the media operates, and that they love to drum up drama, reactions, and increase viewership above all else.
Was this as cut and dry as you say? Maybe, however, if more than a few of us "would do the same" there'd be a lot of similar stories on the local news. I'll wait while you go find them to prove me wrong.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads