JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
It's been all over the news this past 2 days- details have been quite clear since yesterday evening.
Earl goes to wrong address to pick up twin siblings, rings doorbell. Doesn't even get to say word to homeowner, Andrew Lester before getting shot in the head through the glass door. Lester steps out and shoots him a second time in the arm while he's lying on the ground.
It's not been mentioned here thus far because there's more than a few people on here are hoping some twist will emerge that somehow makes it reasonable for the homeowner to have shot the teen, because, frankly, they'd probably do the same.

Im sure some on here have healthy teenage sons who are bigger & fitter than me. If one of them accidentally rang my doorbell looking for their friends, would they be ok with me shooting them in the head, just in case they "might" do something bad.?
Under no circumstances am I saying that the old man isn't a racist bigot, but to say the details are "quite clear" is disingenuous at best. The police didn't charge the individual after two hours. There is a reason that jurors are instructed not to watch the news while serving on a jury.

You have a story, true or fabricated, from one side. Not only that, but that story is coming from the lefty news. Do you trust the media to come to a "clear understanding" of what took place?

I personally do not. Also, if you trust the news, Kyle Rittenhouse should have been found guilty by all accounts of "clear understanding" of what occurred.

Is it possible the old guy is a racist bigot? Yes, absolutely. Is it possible the young man was actually robbing him? Yes, absolutely. Is it possible that the man has been robbed previously and shot before he had a chance and is now completely in the wrong? Yes, absolutely.

My point is that nothing but one side has been reported on by a media with an agenda.

I'm not talking about that specific story because I NEVER read NPR. :s0002:

From what I saw on television, it sounded like an 85 year-old man got awakened from his slumber and (justifiably or not) got scared. I'm not that old or as vulnerable as the guy I saw in a photo appears, so I'll not pass judgement on him - particularly without having all the facts.

Hours of congressional hearings going on about Soros prosecutors letting crime run rampant so media pushes these stories to get the hearings out of the headlines.

Black vs white.
Gun violence.

I have my own feelings on the OP and their motivation of this post. I'll leave it at that.

I never opine without researching the issue. My opinion remains that shooting an unarmed stranger on your front porch through a closed door is not justifiable under any circumstances. No exceptions.
That I would agree with, no reason to shoot through a door but, you have also decided it was race based because you want it to be. Again we know VERY little about this so far yet a few people already have the shooter wearing a Klan hood because that is what they want to be the truth there. Sadly says a LOT about the culture. :(

That I would agree with, no reason to shoot through a door but, you have also decided it was race based because you want it to be. Again we know VERY little about this so far yet a few people already have the shooter wearing a Klan hood because that is what they want to be the truth there. Sadly says a LOT about the culture. :(
Exactly, OP, @Oya, @asiparks have become judge, jury, and executioner based on one story from one person.

Exactly, OP, @Oya, @asiparks have become judge, jury, and executioner based on one story from one person.
Sadly many people want something to be true so they seek out a "report" to say what they want the "truth" to be. Often days later more comes out and often the initial reports are NOTHING even close to what happened. Those who want things a certain way will ignore the info that comes out later and keep repeating what some "news source" said days earlier. If you desperately want something to be "true" its normally not hard to find someone to write the story the way you want it to be. Then people who don't really want the truth can ignore it and keep going back to the way they want it to be :s0092:

I heard about this, and thought it was just another sad representation of the world we live in.
The fact that no one started a thread on it till now isn't the amazing enlightenment you think it is. If every single shooting that happens in the US had its own thread here there'd be no room for anything else.

It's really sad this kid got dead, regardless of his skin color. But I'm not pigheaded enough to think I know why he got dead. Anyone who believes everything they read or hear, and make assumptions based on such, is intentionally blind and/or looking for a reason to cry "racism".

there's more than a few people on here are hoping some twist will emerge that somehow makes it reasonable for the homeowner to have shot the teen

I would hope that every freedom loving American is always hoping for such a thing. Should we be hoping that every shooting by a legal gun owner is a bad shooting?

If every single shooting that happens in the US had its own thread here there'd be no room for anything else.
Exactly. On NBC news this morning there is a story about a 20 year-old white woman that got shot by a 65 year-old man in upstate NY when her friend pulled into a rural driveway. Do we need a thread for that as well?

If you trust the initial news, then George Zimmerman was a racist bigot that shot a poor young man minding his own business.

If you trust the initial news, Kyle Rittenhouse was a racist murderer.

Under no circumstances am I saying that the old man isn't a racist bigot, but to say the details are "quite clear" is disingenuous at best. The police didn't charge the individual after two hours. There is a reason that jurors are instructed not to watch the news while serving on a jury.

You have a story, true or fabricated, from one side. Not only that, but that story is coming from the lefty news. Do you trust the media to come to a "clear understanding" of what took place?

I personally do not. Also, if you trust the news, Kyle Rittenhouse should have been found guilty by all accounts of "clear understanding" of what occurred.

Is it possible the old guy is a racist bigot? Yes, absolutely. Is it possible the young man was actually robbing him? Yes, absolutely. Is it possible that the man has been robbed previously and shot before he had a chance and is now completely in the wrong? Yes, absolutely.

My point is that nothing but one side has been reported on by a media with an agenda.
Whilst I don't disagree on the media, do you think that he was charged with 2 Class A felonies based upon media reports, or based on facts uncovered during the investigation?
I'm rolling the dice on the latter.

He might be racist, he might not, he might have been the victim of violent crime before, he might not.

If someone you don't know rings your doorbell at night you have many courses of action no matter how scary they look, I don't believe that shooting them should be the first.

Whilst I don't disagree on the media, do you think that he was charged with 2 Class A felonies based upon media reports, or based on facts uncovered during the investigation?
I'm rolling the dice on the latter.

He might be racist, he might not, he might have been the victim of violent crime before, he might not.

If someone you don't know rings your doorbell at night you have many courses of action no matter how scary they look, I don't believe that shooting them should be the first.
Was he attacked? I do agree, I don't answer the door, nor do I answer the door at night. My point is that you have one story from one source. How many individuals have been charged after the fact based on public outcry based on skewed reporting?

If you trust the initial news, then George Zimmerman was a racist bigot that shot a poor young man minding his own business.

If you trust the initial news, Kyle Rittenhouse was a racist murderer.
As it goes, in the case of Zimmerman, yes I do.
He initiated an encounter with a black male he didn't like the look of, found himself out of his depth because he wasn't as tough as he thought he was and had to resort to shooting because he was getting his arse beat.

Ritenhouse I just think was an idiot with a hero complex and very poor judgement.

My point is that the story is a "he said, she said" except that there's only one side. We're missing the "she said" part of the equation. If the news is correct, then there's supposedly surveillance cameras based on signs. For those that have a "clear picture", have you reviewed the footage?

Last Edited:
As it goes, in the case of Zimmerman, yes I do.
He initiated an encounter with a black male he didn't like the look of, found himself out of his depth because he wasn't as tough as he thought he was and had to resort to shooting because he was getting his arse beat.

Ritenhouse I just think was an idiot with a hero complex and very poor judgement.
They're both idiots, but if you believe the initial media, they were guilty before a trial.

Here's a clip from the police report… was any of it mentioned in any "research sources"?

582CAE63-B00F-4C3F-AB3B-FFB1DFC94999.jpeg

On the rare occasions I have to knock on some stranger's door that's not expecting me, I knock then stand back a ways so that I can been seen and present as less a threat as possible…. let alone try the bubblegumming door handle, storm door or otherwise.

I'm still not making up my mind on this one.

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews