JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

City Of Portland CHL Holders: What is your preferred EDC ? And why?

• Glock 19 9mm

• Glock 26 9mm

• Glock 43 or 48 9mm

• Kimber Micro 9 or Ultra Carry 9mm

• Springfield Armory XD / XDS 9mm (original / mod.2)

• Ruger (LC9 / Security 9) 9mm

• Kahr CM9 9mm

• Walther (PPS, PPQ, PPQSC, CCP) 9mm

• Sig (P365, P938) 9mm

• Other : Please describe in comments

Results are only viewable after voting.
My daily carry (including when I'm in Portland) is a Glock 19 chopped chopped down to 26 grip length. A 12rd or 10rd mag in the gun depending on clothing, and a Glock 19 magazine with a +5 extension and a grip sleeve as a spare (20 rounds). If I have my backpack with me, which I usually do, I have two more Glock 19 magazines with +5 extensions on them in the pack.

Sorry I no longer live in Portland Metro. My EDC here in Central OR is a Dimondback DB9. Small pocketable 9mm that doesn't bother me while I am at work. When I visit Portland I carry an XDS 45acp... to many weird people in Portland.

Thanks everyone for your input, and taking the poll. Very valuable knowledge from all of you! Ended up going with a Glock 26 Gen 5 with night sights and Glock OEM +2 grip extension. The modularity of Glock is something I have not seen before, and was very impressed I could slap a 19 Gen 5 magazine into it. Instant 15+1. After shooting it, I also put a deposit on the 43X because I was so impressed. The display model concealed just as good as my XDS; and carries 2 more rounds. It's a no brainer upgrade over the 43, the grip is fantastic without an extension. While I love the XDS and having grip safety; this is my first Glock and I understand why these guns hold such statistical weight.

Last Edited:
I am late to the party. Poll closed. It appears I am the odd man out here.
Carry depends on my mood and where I am going. HK45c, HKP30sk, or Kahr PM9 for pocket.

Portland?
Get a red bandanna, an Antifa hat and open carry an AR pistol.
The hootenanny will cheer you on. You can even harass us entitled fascists without concern for LE intervention.

You'll figure it out.
My bad, you already did.

Thanks everyone for your input, and taking the poll. Very valuable knowledge from all of you! Ended up going with a Glock 26 Gen 5 with night sights and Glock OEM +2 grip extension. The modularity of Glock is something I have not seen before, and was very impressed I could slap a 19 Gen 5 magazine into it. Instant 15+1. After shooting it, I also put a deposit on the 48 because I was so impressed. The display model concealed just as good as my XDS; and carries 2 more rounds. It's a no brainer upgrade over the 43, the grip is fantastic on without extension. While I love the XDS and having grip safety; this is my first Glock and I understand why these guns hold such statistical weight.

I carried a G26 with XS Big Dot sights and the original Talon grip for around five years before switching to a G19 in the same configuration. The advantage of the G26 is that it simply disappears and you'll even forget that your carrying. I think you made an excellent choice and that you'll find it an extremely reliable pistol.

FWIW, I carried Hornady Critical Defense ammo in both after doing my research.

Cheers!

Last Edited:
Portland?
Get a red bandanna, an Antifa hat and open carry an AR pistol.
The hootenanny will cheer you on. You can even harass us entitled fascists without concern for LE intervention.

You'll figure it out.
My bad, you already did.

Quite funny. I'm well aware of how Portland already is ;)

I carried a G26 with XS Big Dot sights and the original Talon grip for around five years before switching to a G19 in the same configuration. The advantage of the G26 is that it simply disappears and you'll even forget that your carrying. I think you made an excellent choice and that you'll find it an extremely reliable pistol.

FWIW, I carried Hornady Critical Defense ammo in both after doing my research.

Cheers!

Thank you, I appreciate that...been looking for exactly what you described, and in a double stack the 26 design / modularity is unmatched. Re: 19 - I have been told the exact same thing about the armory I shop at - in fact roughly 60% of the employees (While discussing our EDC stories of course) allowed me to see that they had the 26 on their person. They absolutely love it. Me, being so impressed by Glock (first one being a this Gen5) I put a deposit down on a 43X. I feel that will suit my summer EDC needs perfectly.

Hornady Critical Defense all the way. I have used Speer Gold Dot, HST HydraShok & Micro, and I find Hornady to be the most reliable in the Glocks. In addition to that I have been told by law enforcement and servicemen that the HCD round is very effective in the penetration of clothing, particularly jeans+leather. The substance inside that tip acts as almost a lubricant, and maintains that intended penetration wound channel. Better than HST, or so I'm told.

I have been carrying 2 separate pistols of late. A Sig Sauer P250 or a Glock 45(9mm). The G45 is a double stack which I prefer. Single stacks just take more gear.

I started with a Glock, now days I roll with a nice DA/SA pistol. I have a M11-A1 in 9mm or a Beretta M9 that I carry. The M9 has the best trigger and I can put my rounds into a credit card size target from ten yards.... granted I'm not under stress lol. One of the biggest reasons why I went DA/SA is when I go to holster the pistol, I can have my thumb over the hammer, so if something starts to pull on the trigger, I know and I won't shoot myself. I carry my Sig in an IWB holster and the M9 is usually shoulder carried. If I need a backup or something really small and easy to carry, I have a LCP and a G43.

I carry an FNX-45 Tactical for about 7-8 months a year, because I wear a parka which does a very good job at covering it up.

The other 4-5 months a year I carry a M&P 2.0 compact.

Was a Ruger LCR .38 until I watched that New Zealand terrorist attack video. Now it's a HK P30 in 9mm.

That video changed how I view concealed carry. Having to stop someone like that...multiple weapons, a plan, body armor, etc...I'd prefer to be better armed. Not that he couldn't be stopped by the right person with a 5-shot revolver, of course, but having a better fighting platform just makes sense if you can carry it.

Sig P365 and yes I trust it with my life. First two mags had hiccups, 500 rounds later flawless. When it is time for tshirt weather, I'll probably pick up a Diamondback DB9 Gen4 for slightly better concealment.

And thankfully I don't anymore, but after working downtown a few years, I will never ever go downtown unless I am packing. Seen too many random unprovoked attacks by feral homeless.

Last edited by a moderator:
And thankfully I don't anymore, but after working downtown a few years, I will never ever go downtown unless I am packing. Seen too many random unprovoked attacks by feral homeless.

Back in '05, I used to live in the Alphabet District, specifically near Couch Park. Circa 2010 - after one too many interactions with these kooks I decided to carry a PepperBlaster IWB from that point on...ended up using it shortly after, unfortunately. A man attacked me an my girlfriend with a pitchfork, and kept attacking others after. We ran from him. PPB arrived - but without any sense of urgency. Never found the guy.

Time went on and it became worse and worse until I moved to inner SE, which is now slowly worsening. The feral homeless are my biggest fear here - and never in my life have I felt so threatened. Growing up in NYC I have seen some pretty bad stuff - but nothing like the homeless / methamphetamine situation in Portland. I frequently travel by bike and having a gun in my jersey/chest holster is something I never though I had to do. Especially on the Esplanade/Corridor. Alas, times have changed, haven't they....how do you like your 365? I think SIG makes one of the best factory triggers.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top