JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Don't do it, the downside outweights the benefit.

• Yes

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters
Yep my micro dagger holster looks just like the one above. I might need a bigger wing on it or maybe a stiffer belt. Any idea on some good jeans with deep pockets? I think the micro would fit fine in larger pockets.
Wrangler Riggs on Amazon have gigantic pockets. Even the watch pocket is big. The "advanced" version has flexible waistband and is much more comfortable than regular Riggs version imo. They are also thicker and last longer than most jeans I've tried fwiw.

I haven't been carrying as much as I'd like to. I've always carried a G19 but in the last two years I've been less apt to carry as the size often gets in the way of everyday activities. I've been considering the P365 after I shot my buddies a while back. Has anyone made the change to a smaller EDC and not felt the compromise outweighed the benefit of the larger EDC.

I did feel the P365 was very accurate, the downside is less ammo...what say you?
When I switched from a G45 to a G48 (for summer) I never felt like I was making a compromise. I also run 15 round mags in my G48 sooooo.............. :)

The P365? I'd carry one of the variants no problem if it wasn't for the fact I have a lot of Glock sh**. :D

I'm in the same boat. G19, G19X, G23, G20 & Baby Glock...
In this economy and with all the new rules that nobody can keep up with I'm certain I will stick to my Glocks. But I wouldn't kick a P365 out of bed for eating crackers either. :D

cc.jpg

When I assess my personal safety needs the things I note are,
I don't smoke or drink so no need to be in bars, or liquor stores. We don't go out to night clubs. I have long ago cut out the questionable friends.

^This.
An old time saying; "Nothing good happens after midnight".
Another saying; "If you want to stay out of trouble don't do stupid things with stupid people".
I would add, that when weather permits, it doesn't really matter what kind of sidearm you're carrying in any kind of holster in any position.
In some circumstances, having a J-frame, (or equivalent,) in a coat pocket with your hand already grasping it is a far better option.

Carried a 19 since before I was even allowed to carry. Downsized 3 years ago to the 43x.

The 19 now feels so chunky when I pick it up I can't even imagine I carried it every day for 12+ years.

I lost 5 rounds per magazine when switching over but I've just adjusted my carry. Instead of carrying a 19 with a spare mag I carry a 43x with 2 spare mags. The slim mags and the slim frame gun are night and day difference, especially at work. I am in construction and with a tool belt and such its hard to carry a bulky gun. The 43x really fits in well with all parts of my "out in the world" life. When I get home it goes in the drawer next to my wallet and keys. At home, AR15 / sub gun / full size handgun is the defense weapon choice

Wrangler Riggs on Amazon have gigantic pockets. Even the watch pocket is big. The "advanced" version has flexible waistband and is much more comfortable than regular Riggs version imo. They are also thicker and last longer than most jeans I've tried fwiw.
My favorite pants are KALT ems pants, tons of pockets of all sizes.

According to ShootingTheBull, most gunfights are over in just a few shots, and caliber doesn't seem to matter. Here's a link to an article:

I think this means that whatever caliber or size of gun you carry, you're way ahead of most people. So, carry what you like and what you can shoot well.

Sunday I took a trip to the range and shot 3 pocket size 9mm handguns I haven't shot in a while and one duty sized handgun. Targets were 5" steel plates on a dueling tree, and the drill was stepping either 1 or 3 steps to the side while drawing and firing one shot at 10 yds, followed by some basic stand and shoot at 20 yds.

Conclusion was entirely predictable: hits are MUCH more reliable with a belt gun than a pocket gun.

And if I was in a "gun business" line of work, or some high risk lifestyle, I'd carry the belt gun AND the pocket gun.

But I'm not in a "gun business" line of work, and the pocket guns are good enough.

I have very happily NOT made the switch to a smaller gun. I carry a 4.25" M&P Core w/a Trijicon 06 red dot. It's basically G19 size.

My issues with smaller guns are...
  • Reduced sight radius (although having switched to a red dot this reason is now probably moot)
  • Greater recoil
  • Can't get my whole hand on the grip without adding an extension...and at that point the essentially becomes G19 sized
  • Reduced capacity
I, however, have never had a problem carrying a G19 sized gun.

Normally I advise people to consider the above issues carefully before downsizing. For many people their evaluation begins and ends with, "it's sure nice to carry and conceals well," and they don't give much thought to the tradeoffs.

But in your case you've articulated that the G19 size causes you not to carry. And if it's gotten to that point, then I'd say find a gun that you WILL carry every day. And keep the G19 around for those times where you think you really need it or are willing to deal with the extra size/weight. Having something is definitely better than having nothing.

It's been said that you should carry the biggest gun you can, by all the tactical dudes.
I have carried G17, Beretta 92FS, HK USP Expert, and even a 1911. For twenty plus years I carried full size pistol(s) and I never got comfortable carrying. I am very motivated so I just take the abuse and go with it. I have experimented with smaller guns such as G26, G42&43, Ruger LCP, Kahr CM9, smith&Wesson bodyguard, and Sig P365. It is sooooo much easier to carry the smaller guns, obviously. I have literally forgotten I had a pistol on me.
I personally like the P365 because you can have up to a 17 round magazine. So you can carry a 12 rounder in the Sig with as many 15 or 17 round mags as backup. Get a Wilson Combat P365 grip module and you're set.
In my opinion, carryingis the most important thing. As long as you can make good shots with a smaller gun, do it. If you shoot great with a mid size or full size over a small pistol like P365 or a G43, I would just suck it up, get a nice belt (steel reinforced leather belt) and maybe suspenders and carry the bigger gun(s).
A small gun is deffinately a good idea for a backup pistol but most of us "civilians" don't need a backup gun. But if you carried multiple, I'd respect you regardless. If you have to smuggle carry, carry at work or gun free zone, obviously a sub-compact is gonna be the easiest to hide and carry.

Good luck and god bless.

According to ShootingTheBull, most gunfights are over in just a few shots, and caliber doesn't seem to matter. Here's a link to an article:

I think this means that whatever caliber or size of gun you carry, you're way ahead of most people. So, carry what you like and what you can shoot well.
There is an untold number of cases every year where the "intended victim" having a gun stops things before they ever get started. A LOT of these are just never reported. This has happened to me. Little .380 shown and the scum with a knife decided he had somewhere else he needed to be FAST. Now days its the damn drugs that scare me. I still often carry something quite small as a better than nothing but, I do often think about all the shoots where some zombie will not stop. Now that so many shoots are on video I have seen a shocking number of them. Where some zombie soaks up rounds from a service pistol and act like they are not even effected. :eek:

There is an untold number of cases every year where the "intended victim" having a gun stops things before they ever get started. A LOT of these are just never reported. This has happened to me. Little .380 shown and the scum with a knife decided he had somewhere else he needed to be FAST. Now days its the damn drugs that scare me. I still often carry something quite small as a better than nothing but, I do often think about all the shoots where some zombie will not stop. Now that so many shoots are on video I have seen a shocking number of them. Where some zombie soaks up rounds from a service pistol and act like they are not even effected. :eek:
Agree. And the other side people don't think about is unarmed attackers. What if some unarmed druggy attacks you. Do you have to go down to his level and engage in physical combat? You can't shoot him due to proportionate force. But if you have small pepper spray in your pocket you have a means to simply make him go away. Problem solved and you move on and no need to engage druggy in physical combat or end up in arrested, court costs and stress, or possibly jail if you shot him.

Here is a good video from a self defense lawyer about can you legally shoot an unarmed attacker FYI:

View: https://youtu.be/W_XQ3D6IMzU?si=mAz8OtJ7lp3GH96n

Last Edited:
Another element is training. Someone who has developed a high level of skill in defensive pistol use (carry, draw, putting rounds on target quickly, etc.) is going to have an easier time with a subcompact gun. If you are less experienced a bigger gun will be easier to manipulate and control.

I downsized years back. I was carrying a g23 every day, and it's just not a comfortable iwb gun to carry. The honest truth is you're unlikely to be in a situation where the difference between a 12 round p365 vs a 15rd G19 is going to a and life or death difference.

For me, a smaller gun is a better option. Granted, I don't frequent downtown Portland, take long walks through homeless camps or hang out at strip clubs. The likelihood of me needing a gun at all are pretty slim; I still carry every day, but I've never felt under gunned, even with a small .380.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top