JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Don't do it, the downside outweights the benefit.

• Yes

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters
I haven't been carrying as much as I'd like to. I've always carried a G19 but in the last two years I've been less apt to carry as the size often gets in the way of everyday activities. I've been considering the P365 after I shot my buddies a while back. Has anyone made the change to a smaller EDC and not felt the compromise outweighed the benefit of the larger EDC.

I did feel the P365 was very accurate, the downside is less ammo...what say you?

Many years ago I made the switch from compact to subcompact.

Was carrying a M&P 2.0 4" (pretty much identical in size to the G19). Originally I switched to the Shield, but quickly realized I was not a fan. From there it was between the P365 or the Hellcat.

Ultimately, I decided on the Hellcat. There were a few details on the Hellcat I preferred over the P365. I also liked the fact I maintained the 15 round capacity that Sig didn't offer. The price point was much nicer on the Hellcat too.

Ruger LCP man myself. Not too big and not too small, and not obtrusive by any measure. Before that for many years it was a Beretta 950 .25 auto. If I felt the need for something bigger I'd carry a 5 shot J-frame Smith, but that would be WAY heavier than 2 LCPs.

I haven't been carrying as much as I'd like to. I've always carried a G19 but in the last two years I've been less apt to carry as the size often gets in the way of everyday activities. I've been considering the P365 after I shot my buddies a while back. Has anyone made the change to a smaller EDC and not felt the compromise outweighed the benefit of the larger EDC.

I did feel the P365 was very accurate, the downside is less ammo...what say you?
Imo primary downside is harder to shoot well than a bigger gun. But my p938 (same size as p365) is in my front pocket (in Alabama holster) every minute of the day. I forget it's there.

Pocket carry has other benefits besides comfort. You can have your hand on gun with Alabama holster disengaged (via the thumb release/tab) and no one else knows cuz it just looks like you have your hand in your pocket. Also don't have to worry about it when bumping someone or hugging someone etc. Also when bending down to the bottom shelf at the grocery store. Also in restroom no need to even worry about it. Also if in odd chance someone says let me see you don't have a gun you can show them nothing on your belt. I would get a p365 with Alabama holster and not look back personally (or hellcat or ? depending on preferences).

P938 in jeans and Hickok showing draw from Alabama holster

This is Alabama holster with concealed carry flap:

This is Alabama holster with no concealed carry flap (like the one shown in Hickok video above):

AB3B7C47-45B2-4077-B1CD-7E4868DE0489.jpeg

Last Edited:
Many years ago I made the switch from compact to subcompact.

Was carrying a M&P 2.0 4" (pretty much identical in size to the G19). Originally I switched to the Shield, but quickly realized I was not a fan. From there it was between the P365 or the Hellcat.

Ultimately, I decided on the Hellcat. There were a few details on the Hellcat I preferred over the P365. I also liked the fact I maintained the 15 round capacity that Sig didn't offer. The price point was much nicer on the Hellcat too.
Went the same route . I love my H&K and Sigs but went to sub with Hellcat . :)

IMG_1870-scaled.jpg

I'm a Glock fanboy.

Carried a G26 for a long time.

Because it fit my G26 holster, I carried a G19 off and on, given the circumstances.

If you move to a micro-9 you WILL notice the size difference. Even with something like the G43X. The grip length is still the same as the G19, but the width and slide length do make a difference in the way it carries and feels.

If you go smaller still - like a P365 (which I carried for about 6 months) or a Hellcat, you will absolutely notice the size difference when carrying.

Lot's of quality micro 9mms with 10+ round capacity out there. You will be well served by any of them.

Now, if you want your Goldilocks gun which is (jusssstttt right...) - The G43X with a Shield Arms 15-round mag might be an option to look at. Hint ... hint.

Have fun.

TWYLALTR

Cheers.

Last Edited:
Two posts above by @esbshaw and @ilikegunspdx caught my attention and I thought I'd share my experience in that regard.

Ruger LCP man myself.
Pocket carry has other benefits besides comfort.
I am also a Ruger fan. When I have to go out and about looking "professional", e.g.., with dress slacks and a button down shirt tucked in my pants, and can't carry OWB, I carry a Ruger LCP Max (10+1) in an inexpensive Allen brand soft sticky holster with the concealed flap (like the Alabama holster in @ilikegunspdx post). Have a spare 12-round mag in my front pocket in a Desantis soft "Mag-Packer" mag carrier. Beats the days when the LCP only had 6-round mags.

If you have a slimmer body build and can carry a larger micro-9 in your front pocket - like the P365 - then go for it. I've tried the P365 in pocket carry, but it was too big for MY body build and printed pretty obviously with slacks - even with the concealed flap. Looked like I had two decks of cards in my front pocket. But the LCP MAX is much smaller and I can get away with it.

TWYLALTR

Cheers

Last Edited:
Two posts above by @esbshaw and @ilikegunspdx caught my attention and I thought I'd share my experience in that regard.

I am also a Ruger fan. When I have to go out and about looking "professional", e.g.., with dress slacks and a button down shirt tucked in my pants, and can't carry OWB, I carry a Ruger LCP Max (10-1) in an inexpensive Allen brand soft sticky holster with the concealed flap (like the Alabama holster in @ilikegunspdx post. Have a spare 12-round mag in my front pocket in a Desantis soft "Mag-Packer" mag carrier. Beats the days when the LCP only had 6-round mags.

If you have a slimmer body build and can carry a larger micro-9 in your front pocket - like the P365 - then go for it. I've tried the P365 in pocket carry, but it was too big for MY body build and printed pretty obviously with slacks - even with the concealed flap. Looked like I had two decks of cards in my front pocket. But the LCP MAX is much smaller and I can get away with it.

TWYLALTR

Cheers
I use this mag holster for 12 round p365 mag when I carry p365x with red dot in IWB holster. All that is visible is the pocket clip and when you pull out the mag the holster stays in your pocket. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.
A3D3A4EE-6FAB-43CF-BF80-EA641B56C9D0.jpeg
E70842D5-EC17-4CE8-8E73-9D70B36CD00A.jpeg
Edit: found it, snagmag

The original p365 grip is too small for me, so I got a Sig p365xl. I can swap to a Macro frame with 17 round mags for Big City carry.

I just bought a PSA Micro Dagger (G43X size) and will play with its options.

Yup went from a G19/P229 size to P365, not much compromise but for a few rounds per magazine. When the P365 is deployed, it's deployed with a 12 round mag on board, (2) 12 round reloads and a 10 rounder in the jeans coin pocket. Makes for a total of 47 rounds. If that can't get 'er done, then I had no right getting myself in that situation.

But there days I find myself carrying a S&W 642 with three reloads. Lighter and easier to carry around. And if I'm paying attention, should get me out of harms way…

The original p365 grip is too small for me, so I got a Sig p365xl. I can swap to a Macro frame with 17 round mags for Big City carry.

I just bought a PSA Micro Dagger (G43X size) and will play with its options.
FYI You can also get p365 12 round mag with grip extension which makes standard p365 grip same size as standard 12 round 365x grip.

For p365x (12 round) grip you can get 15 round mag with grip extension that makes grip same size as XL grip.

I think they also have standard p365 grip 15 round mag with grip extension but I can't remember. I have every combo I think cuz came with bunch of free mags and traded for some.

Also there is p365 10 round mag with pinky extension. So tons of size combos can be made.

Last Edited:
I find the poll misleading, won't downsizing mean that the larger forgone firearm outweighs the P365?

I only carry a full sized gun.

Well..imo..there are 'some' downsides, but not enough to cause me to change.

I have both a Glock 22, and 43x.I can shoot the 22 better even though it's larger caliber. The sight radius is much longer hence more accurate. The felt recoil (snappiness) is less than the 43x. Basically it's just much more suitable to me as a shooter.

Having said that, I don't CC it because it would print too much for my liking. I know some guys here like to appendix carry full size, but I'm not in my 20's or 30's with a string bean body..it just wouldn't be comfortable. I can CC appendix or 3-4 o'clock with the G43x without it printing.

My range practice is usually out to 50 yards with a full size torso target..so when I say the G22 is more accurate for me, it's because I shoot at that range. At 7-25 yards, the G43x is fine. Most engagements are going to be at less that 20 yards anyhow.

Bottom line..for CC..I'd go with a Sig 365xl or Glock 43x.

Washagonian - "Now, if you want your Goldilocks gun which is (jusssstttt right...) - The G43X with a Shield Arms 15-round mag might be an option to look at. Hint ... hint." This is the way

For me grip length is biggest factor in whether something prints or not. Also whether it fits in pocket or not.

Sig p365xl has about same grip length as a Glock 19, so no benefit other than width for me:

825BC91B-64E9-4273-9CFA-F0D954B83F70.jpeg

Sig p365 on the other hand has a small grip length which makes it very concealable and pocket holsterable:
2EC59200-CE9E-43E6-A501-6696C0A428B3.jpeg
So for me I bought a p365x to get the flat trigger and swapped the frame for a $40 p365 frame. So now I can have flush fit 10 round mag, pinky extension 10 round, 12 round grip extension, and I think 15 round grip extension (can't recall if that one is for p365 frame or p365x frame). So can make it tiny (best for concealment) or extended size with the change of a mag. With p365xl you are always at Glock 19 grip length (roughly, it is a bit smaller as the comparison shows).

Last Edited:
I've carried a G19 for 15+ years, but I've also lost a bunch of weight in the past few...the smaller I've gotten, the bigger the 19 gets.. :s0110:

Heck, my first carry gun was a USP45 :s0112:

Lots of good suggestions here!

For me grip length is biggest factor in whether something prints or not. Also whether it fits I pocket or not.
100%. That was the toughest part for me in deciding on the 43 or 43x. I prefer Glocks so Sig wasn't in my final list, but the G43 was very tempting for the print reduction. Almost pulled the trigger on one, but It did come down to round count, and with the shield mag for the 43x, it sealed the deal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top