JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

City Of Portland CHL Holders: What is your preferred EDC ? And why?

• Glock 19 9mm

• Glock 26 9mm

• Glock 43 or 48 9mm

• Kimber Micro 9 or Ultra Carry 9mm

• Springfield Armory XD / XDS 9mm (original / mod.2)

• Ruger (LC9 / Security 9) 9mm

• Kahr CM9 9mm

• Walther (PPS, PPQ, PPQSC, CCP) 9mm

• Sig (P365, P938) 9mm

• Other : Please describe in comments

Results are only viewable after voting.
I live here, so 1) isn't an option. I hear you though.
Ok, fair enough.
3) Move.
Just kidding, we live where we live.
To stay on track with your original question, I carry a Kahr CW45. Why? I'm not a 9mm fanboy. I know that they're great and all o_O, but 9mm just isn't my thing. I choose the Kahr because of the slim profile (one inch wide), full size grip and compact slide. It's easily concealable and has one of the best grips on any gun, IMHO. Plus, you know...45 ACP inside your belt. It also comes in 9mm and 40 as well as 380. Also, made in USA.

Don't live in the area, but to answer your question: It depends.

Out and about a G19 with a full mag reload.

In the house/yard a S&W SD9VE with a fully loaded spare mag.

I avoid Portland like the plague, but if forced to travel there, I carry one or two of my 3 carry 1911's and spare mags! Usually a Kimber Eclipse 10 mm single stack with 10+1 or my 2011 series 10 mm double stack 17+1 and if I carry a back up, a Para Ordnance Wart Hawg double stack 9 mm 14+1!

I actually had to mix up my carry for public transit in portland, some times you have to reach up and hold bars so everyone can see what's hooked to your belt.

But you can pocket carry an airweight 38spcl and nobody will be the wiser.

I try and avoid Portland whenever possible though.

I live out in the sticks but every few weeks we take our socially awkward & uncultured home schooled children into Portland to expose to a little more than our small town offers e.g. Omsi, various parks, food carts, where they'll end up if they start doing dope and voting democrat. I carry as small and discreet as possible because accidentally exposing a firearm in a place like Powells or on the tram could turn into kind of a hassle. I carry a Glock 26 iwb at 4 o'clock with a few extra mags, a Ruger LCP2 in my front right pocket and a folding 3" knife in my left pocket. This gives me multiple weapons to access at different points, such as when going for the 26 may be too obvious that I'm pulling a gun, while pulling my LCP out of a front pocket could at first appear to be complying with a demand.

I live out in the sticks but every few weeks we take our socially awkward & uncultured home schooled children into Portland to expose to a little more than our small town offers e.g. Omsi, various parks, food carts, where they'll end up if they start doing dope and voting democrat. I carry as small and discreet as possible because accidentally exposing a firearm in a place like Powells or on the tram could turn into kind of a hassle. I carry a Glock 26 iwb at 4 o'clock with a few extra mags, a Ruger LCP2 in my front right pocket and a folding 3" knife in my left pocket. This gives me multiple weapons to access at different points, such as when going for the 26 may be too obvious that I'm pulling a gun, while pulling my LCP out of a front pocket could at first appear to be complying with a demand.

This is perhaps the best answer yet.
Thank you.

Last Edited:
My Granddaughters were home schooled.

The oldest just graduated college with honors.

They both speak Standard English quite clearly and grammatically.

Some of their public school contemporaries speak pidgin English with a smattering of ain't, and a ton of double negatives.

I can't vote in such a rhetorical poll, as my choices could easily be a Blackhawk, Security Six, 1911, or a 629, but...

I also carry two guns. One hung on my waist, and it could change daily, but in my front shirt pocket, always, a LCP. Urban metro wear wouldn't allow that, but for folks like me who wear a Dickies shirt 99% of the time, the front pocket is quite adequate to carry a small pistol, no more noticeable than a nerd pouch.
Inked1574_CH_FR_LI.jpg

Last Edited:
Taurus PT709slim in a shoulder rig, AND AMT Backup .45 on my ankle.

I also am not a huge 9mm fan, but the data bears it out as an effective defense round with modern ammunition. I also know what people say about carrying anything by Taurus, but I can buy three of these (have two, haven't been able to wear the first one out yet) for the price of your HK. I probably have something around 6,000 rounds through the first one with zero failures to date. They are light enough to be one of the only guns in my EDC collection that mostly gets rid of 'the shoulder holster shrug'.

Your mileage may vary (but don't expect it to get any better in PDX)

.357 magnum K frame 4" most people probably think that is too big but I can and have carried larger guns before comfortably.
Also what I shoot best,sure a 9mm or .45 carries more but that doesn't matter if I miss does it?

Trust me, I can't wait to move.
Maybe this will help in that effort.

I go to a men's breakfast every Tuesday morning over here in the free state, and while I carry concealed, one of the other guys just strolls in with his 1911 on his hip and no one in the restaurant even looks twice other that to maybe say, nice 1911, is that a Kimber, or maybe something like get rid of that dinosaur and buy a Glock. I tend to direct him towards the CZ line, buy that's just me.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top