JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Don't do it, the downside outweights the benefit.

• Yes

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters
I downsized years back. I was carrying a g23 every day, and it's just not a comfortable iwb gun to carry. The honest truth is you're unlikely to be in a situation where the difference between a 12 round p365 vs a 15rd G19 is going to a and life or death difference.

For me, a smaller gun is a better option. Granted, I don't frequent downtown Portland, take long walks through homeless camps or hang out at strip clubs. The likelihood of me needing a gun at all are pretty slim; I still carry every day, but I've never felt under gunned, even with a small .380.
Just a note re Portland. Visiting dangerous places is not required to be attacked. Our regular residential neighborhood we had all of the following within three blocks: 2 shootings, 1 was 27 rounds, and the other I heard at least 30, 3 armed carjackings (including 1 driver stabbed), 1 armed robbery, 1 stabbing (both parties were homeless), peopel trying to break in our house (once), people throwing bricks at cars, peopel throwing rocks at pedestrians, peopel trying to break in other properties, and I was personally attacked while minding my own business and walking. Being anywhere in SE Portland is dangerous and most of the shootings are in residential areas. Of course there are hot spots like 122nd, felony flats, 82 and Glisan, Alberta/mlk, Lloyd center.

Agree. And the other side people don't think about is unarmed attackers. What if some unarmed druggy attacks you. Do you have to go down to his level and engage in physical combat? You can't shoot him due to proportionate force. But if you have small pepper spray in your pocket you have a means to simply make him go away. Problem solved and you move on and no need to engage druggy in physical combat or end up in arrested, court costs and stress, or possibly jail if you shot him.

Here is a good video from a self defense lawyer about can you legally shoot an unarmed attacker FYI:

View: https://youtu.be/W_XQ3D6IMzU?si=mAz8OtJ7lp3GH96n
I normally always have some OC with me just for that reason. Have used the stuff enough times to be VERY skeptical of how it will work though. Over many usages I have found it was VERY good on 4 legged but VERY hit and miss on 2 legged. For the zombies that I see soaking up rounds from a service pistol? No way is OC going to do anything. I am a senior citizen. There is NO WAY I am going to let some young scum beat me down. If I have to shoot one? I have little doubt I will need a lawyer after but, no way am I going to let some scum beat me down.

I normally always have some OC with me just for that reason. Have used the stuff enough times to be VERY skeptical of how it will work though. Over many usages I have found it was VERY good on 4 legged but VERY hit and miss on 2 legged. For the zombies that I see soaking up rounds from a service pistol? No way is OC going to do anything. I am a senior citizen. There is NO WAY I am going to let some young scum beat me down. If I have to shoot one? I have little doubt I will need a lawyer after but, no way am I going to let some scum beat me down.
It could be the brand. My situation, using the same spray as in the video, was 100% exactly like this. I didn't get one whiff of it on me. Not even any OC odor on my hand.

View: https://youtu.be/eEZ33Lx2zpY?si=YGuPBDbc8S8X_cJu

Others examples are available on YouTube too:

View: https://youtu.be/y8bKIU19sP0?si=RPQKwGQ9Vyenyaly

It could be the brand. My situation, using the same spray as in the video, was 100% exactly like this. I didn't get one whiff of it on me. Not even any OC odor on my hand.

View: https://youtu.be/eEZ33Lx2zpY?si=YGuPBDbc8S8X_cJu

Others examples are available on YouTube too:

View: https://youtu.be/y8bKIU19sP0?si=RPQKwGQ9Vyenyaly
There are plenty of video's of people stopped with OC. There are also plenty of video's of people soaking up rounds from a service caliber and refusing to stop. This will not make me stop bothering to carry OC but, I do not have faith that its going to do what a 9mm or better hand gun will not do.

Just a note re Portland. Visiting dangerous places is not required to be attacked. Our regular residential neighborhood we had all of the following within three blocks: 2 shootings, 1 was 27 rounds, and the other I heard at least 30, 3 armed carjackings (including 1 driver stabbed), 1 armed robbery, 1 stabbing (both parties were homeless), peopel trying to break in our house (once), people throwing bricks at cars, peopel throwing rocks at pedestrians, peopel trying to break in other properties, and I was personally attacked while minding my own business and walking. Being anywhere in SE Portland is dangerous and most of the shootings are in residential areas. Of course there are hot spots like 122nd, felony flats, 82 and Glisan, Alberta/mlk, Lloyd center.
Oh I know it. I grew up on se 112th and Powell. My folks are still there and I visit frequently. That place is a dumpster fire.

There is an untold number of cases every year where the "intended victim" having a gun stops things before they ever get started. A LOT of these are just never reported. This has happened to me. Little .380 shown and the scum with a knife decided he had somewhere else he needed to be FAST. Now days its the damn drugs that scare me. I still often carry something quite small as a better than nothing but, I do often think about all the shoots where some zombie will not stop. Now that so many shoots are on video I have seen a shocking number of them. Where some zombie soaks up rounds from a service pistol and act like they are not even effected. :eek:
I've seen some of those videos, too. Amazing, how many times a person can be shot but still be a threat.

I'm thinking about going back to a Smith & Wesson 640 in .357. Easy to pocket-carry, is a thumper, and leaves no shell casings.

Being old and stove-in means I can neither wrestle nor run.

Last Edited:
There are plenty of video's of people stopped with OC. There are also plenty of video's of people soaking up rounds from a service caliber and refusing to stop. This will not make me stop bothering to carry OC but, I do not have faith that its going to do what a 9mm or better hand gun will not do.
I just have the one real world experience of stopping my attacker. It was exactly like the video shown. So can't speak to anything else really.

I am in the position of probably being forced to. I was diagnosed with a Neuro degenerative disease last year. I usually carry a p226 or Steyr M9…..357 if I'm on the tractor. Many days now those are too heavy for all day. I'll strap them on for a trip to town but switch out at home. If it's going to be all day I go back to my p230 which so far is not bothering me. I may end up having to look at shoulder holsters but I really don't want to do that.

Sunday I took a trip to the range and shot 3 pocket size 9mm handguns I haven't shot in a while and one duty sized handgun. Targets were 5" steel plates on a dueling tree, and the drill was stepping either 1 or 3 steps to the side while drawing and firing one shot at 10 yds, followed by some basic stand and shoot at 20 yds.

Conclusion was entirely predictable: hits are MUCH more reliable with a belt gun than a pocket gun.

And if I was in a "gun business" line of work, or some high risk lifestyle, I'd carry the belt gun AND the pocket gun.

But I'm not in a "gun business" line of work, and the pocket guns are good enough.
Again, you're ahead of the curve. If something goes down and you're around, you'll have the means to defend at least yourself and whoever may be with you. The most important thing is keeping your head on a swivel and being aware. Doesn't matter how big the gun is if danger pops up on you first. I'm not drawing on someone who already has their firearm pointed directly at me. Always be aware of exits, who is coming through them.

I have very happily NOT made the switch to a smaller gun. I carry a 4.25" M&P Core w/a Trijicon 06 red dot. It's basically G19 size.

My issues with smaller guns are...
  • Reduced sight radius (although having switched to a red dot this reason is now probably moot)
  • Greater recoil
  • Can't get my whole hand on the grip without adding an extension...and at that point the essentially becomes G19 sized
  • Reduced capacity
I, however, have never had a problem carrying a G19 sized gun.

Normally I advise people to consider the above issues carefully before downsizing. For many people their evaluation begins and ends with, "it's sure nice to carry and conceals well," and they don't give much thought to the tradeoffs.

But in your case you've articulated that the G19 size causes you not to carry. And if it's gotten to that point, then I'd say find a gun that you WILL carry every day. And keep the G19 around for those times where you think you really need it or are willing to deal with the extra size/weight. Having something is definitely better than having nothing.
The cool thing is how THIN the grips can get nowadays while still accommodating a double stack magazine. Thinner grips, while maybe not as comfortable to hold still give you all the leverage control and tend to print less/be more comfortable to wear. I have a g19 and micro dagger that take the same capacity mags, seated flush and one is at least 20% thinner than the other. These are the types of development we like to see out of firearm mfgs.

Last Edited:
I'm not a senior yet, but do carry OC every time I take my pupper for a walk. We go to the park everyday and there are some menacing looking Pit's around. Glock for two legs, OC for four.

The downside is a full size for me is easier to stay on target.
The upside, the compact is carried every day while the full size (for me) just would not be.

I have two EDC, a G43X and a SW 642. The 642 fits in my jean's pocket with holster and does not print. I don't always carry it my jeans pocket, just sn alternate method of carry if I grad and go. I load with my 642 with nasty Underwood 100gr Defender ammo. 1709313473183.png 1709313156778.jpeg

I haven't been carrying as much as I'd like to. I've always carried a G19 but in the last two years I've been less apt to carry as the size often gets in the way of everyday activities. I've been considering the P365 after I shot my buddies a while back. Has anyone made the change to a smaller EDC and not felt the compromise outweighed the benefit of the larger EDC.

I did feel the P365 was very accurate, the downside is less ammo...what say you?
We use the P365 with a small mag ext makes it easier for my big hands.
Also a fan if the Shield 9mm as well. Both are very light.
I like my pre-ban P229 40sw LE model but is heavy and big for day to day.
I have considered smaller revolvers but never found a good 9mm I liked in that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top