JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After shooting an M1 for several years, I was delighted to be issued a M14 during AdvInfTng at Fort Ord in 1967.

How did you like those 5 pound (just kidding they only felt that heavy) empty steel detachable mags with the sharp square corners that snagged on everything and had to be lugged around and slowly reloaded? Give me an en bloc clip and the ability to get REALLY low in the prone firing position every time.

it took $330 but it's an MOA shooter now

mini 30 001.JPG

The answer here is obviously the Garand rifle in a ~7mm caliber (as originally designed) with 10 round clips and the M-14's roller bolt for the op rod with a better gas plug. For those of you who have not used the M-1, M-14, and the Armalite in combat as have I you don't grok the absolutely supernatural, easily handled, and balanced beauty of an internal magazine and the < 1 second time it takes to recharge said mag with an en bloc clip.
It could even have a modern stock with all the bullbubblegum rails that take the mostly useless modern accessories y'all desire. I'll take mine smooth, mean, and lean.

Its one of the reason I like the SKS so much why it can't be compared to a M-14, the simplicity, reliability and well built nature of the SKS makes it hard for me to choose other options and platform. In similar technoloy makes the SKS, a smooth simple self contained concrete buster.
There are obvious differences. But is also why hard to move beyond the Ak-47 and SKS I know they work and work well. I bet I am going to ponder this for awhile I now have a Mini 14 and 30 around here for sale. Just not convinced quite enough to jump.

For those of you who have not used the M-1, M-14, and the Armalite in combat as have I you don't grok the absolutely supernatural, easily handled, and balanced beauty of an internal magazine and the < 1 second time it takes to recharge said mag with an en bloc clip.

Yeah, but the original .276 was never put into production. So you either find one of the 20 that were made for testing or have one re-barreled.

Tho I love the Garand, and am thoroughly peaved that they stopped the civilian program... I carried one as the right-handed-rifleman in the Color Guard for months and at the commissioning of the Polar Sea. That is one heavy chunk of steel to lunk around out on the parade ground much less toss and spin, even more less than carrying in battle!! Tough men those! BAR, .50 Browning, phew...

And I can see why the M14 is/was considered to be the ultimate rifleman's rifle. Reach out and touch someone even tho you are not a sniper.

Ah, contrair.
Let's see,, the standard mini which started in .222 then in .223, then the 5.56, then the new barreled system.

Then there's the mini .30 which started out life as a pencil barrel and grew into the newer addition that groups just fine in .762x39.
And after 2015 the .300 blackout.

Variants? Target models that come with fully adjustable triggers and harmonic dampeners.

Calibers? 6.8, .222, .223, 7.62x39 and .300 blackout, and even an added attraction in the variant (XGI) that came in .308 and .243, both were discontinued from production?

Also the Mousgueton AMD, bad boy starts here folks.

The AC-.556 full auto or select 3 shot burst/single shot firing system, with grenaid launcher for added KABOOM.

The BOA straight pull bolt action in 6.8 is also a mostly unknown variant that has proven very accurate.

There is a market that offers many options such as adjustable triggers, gas block options, picatinny rails or Weaver choices, along with a rocksolid factory scope mounting system.

Some may want to look at what Ruger is before they say what they are not.
Just saying.

A modern Garand design battle rifle in addition to having the M-14 roller bolt and serviceable gas plug should probably be a short action. The .260 Remington would seem ideal except that it has the fat case diameter of the .308 which would make it hard to fit 10 round in the en bloc clip.

Never mind what I said about making such a major modification as shortening the tried and true action. Reliability issues might ensue. The 6.5x55 Swede would do nicely.

Oh hell, just go get an old Wincester. M-100 in .308 or .243 and call her done. A really nice one will run under $800 and it also has a detachable mag as I recall. And some of those units shot real well. Seen them for sale here not too long back and I think both were under $600?
Try and buy ANY black/Tac rifle in .308 or .243 for that price:D

The SKS is quite good. Too bad it only takes carbine rounds and has a this inaccurate barrel. The whole point of a decent battle rifle is to NOT have to get into burp gun range before you can hit the enemy.
I agree, I realize missed accuracy stage in comparison. But has many very favorable aspects.

All these rounds can use a standard 5.56/.223 lower???... How about .300 Blackout or .308? I've never been able to find the info on this. :confused:
.300 Blackout/ .300 AAC is a .30 cal upnecked from a .223 or 5.56 case. This is why the .300BLK works w the AR easily.. they were designed for the AR. The only change I can think of is a barrel and maybe a buffer spring?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top