JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi there, quick question from Nevada: is the Ruger Mini-14 with a factory straight stock configuration legal or illegal in Washington? I know you had some big legal changes recently.

Once I get an answer I'll elaborate on what I'm trying to do.

Hi there, quick question from Nevada: is the Ruger Mini-14 with a factory straight stock configuration legal or illegal in Washington? I know you had some big legal changes recently.

Legal, but there are hoops, hurdles, and cowpies, to deal with.
You need to speak with a Wa State FFL holder.

☹️☹️

Illegal. Because it has a handguard that goes over the top of the barrel, this classifies it as an assault weapon. A muzzle device would also be a problem.

With the top handguard removed and no barrel threads or muzzle device it should be legal.

That's really . . . bizarre.

The handguard is integral to the rifle, if I recall. A Mini-14 without a handguard is basically a stripped rifle . . .

I'm going to have to make some phone calls. Can anyone recommend a smart FFL in Bellingham?

That's really . . . bizarre.

The handguard is integral to the rifle, if I recall. A Mini-14 without a handguard is basically a stripped rifle . . .

I'm going to have to make some phone calls. Can anyone recommend a smart FFL in Bellingham?
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear: The issue is the top cover that goes over the barrel between the gas block and receiver. On Mini14s this is usually black and has cooling holes in it. It also covers the "operating rod" that goes between the gas block and bolt handle. This protects the shooter's hand from a hot barrel, and is an "AW" feature.

images.jpeg-226.jpg

Pull the stock first, so it clears.

With this evil feature disabled, the terrifying weapon of destruction is now essentially a Lamb of God.
Okay, simple enough.

Is anyone aware of an FFL in the Bellingham area who would accept a Mini-14 with the handguard removed and ship it to an FFL in another state?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

This is what happens when clueless, pseudo-intellectual, dickheads who THINK they're the smartest ones in the room are allowed to write "gun laws"…. yet watching them figure out which end of a hammer you pick it up from provides hours of entertainment.

:rolleyes:

So the WA seller wants to sell it to a buyer in a state other than WA? Probably NV? We can offer more assistance with some basic facts.

If that is the situation then the Mini-14 can be in an AW configuration when taken in by the dealer for shipment to a non-WA FFL. Look at the law itself:

4FE84839-20D3-4DF7-978B-9DEF5266B178.jpeg

So the WA seller wants to sell it to a buyer in a state other than WA? Probably NV? We can offer more assistance with some basic facts.

If that is the situation then the Mini-14 can be in an AW configuration when taken in by the dealer for shipment to a non-WA FFL. Look at the law itself:

View attachment 1456711
Thanks. Two questions arising from that paragraph:

1. What does "legally authorized to possess or transfer the assault weapon" even mean? How does one become "legally authorized to possess" an assault weapon? Official ID card? Forehead stamp? Decoder ring? Or mere intention to sell the rifle out of state?

That's just an example of poorly written law. No shocker there. The real question, and the one I'm hoping someone here can help with is:

2. Is there any FFL within, say, 25 miles of Bellingham who will happily accept the Mini-14 for out of state shipment under the provisions of that ridiculous paragraph? So far all the FFLs we have contacted have cucked out.

Thanks again.

Thanks. Two questions arising from that paragraph:

1. What does "legally authorized to possess or transfer the assault weapon" even mean? How does one become "legally authorized to possess" an assault weapon? Official ID card? Forehead stamp? Decoder ring? Or mere intention to sell the rifle out of state?

That's just an example of poorly written law. No shocker there. The real question, and the one I'm hoping someone here can help with is:

2. Is there any FFL within, say, 25 miles of Bellingham who will happily accept the Mini-14 for out of state shipment under the provisions of that ridiculous paragraph? So far all the FFLs we have contacted have cucked out.

Thanks again.
A private citizen (non FFL holder) can ship a long gun via USPS, as long as your FFL will receive from an individual. Cut out the first FFL and it will simplify things. Of course, they need to ship it to an FFL.

UPS will no longer allow firearms shipments by non-FFLs (at least that's what they are telling me here in Reno; I'm in the gun business, but not a FFL).

Furthermore, most of the FFLs I've talked to in California will only accept shipments from other FFLs. This might just be cucked FFLs, but there might also be some weird California law about that.

UPS will no longer allow firearms shipments by non-FFLs (at least that's what they are telling me here in Reno; I'm in the gun business, but not a FFL).

Furthermore, most of the FFLs I've talked to in California will only accept shipments from other FFLs. This might just be cucked FFLs, but there might also be some weird California law about that.
Not UPS, USPS (the post office). Beings as it is going to CA, that will probably complicate things, on the receiving end. I have never dealt with guns going to or coming from CA and never will.

atf mail.PNG

I meant what I said:

Firearm Products may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services.

Note: Firearm Products are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to, dropped off, or picked up at locations of UPS Customer Centers, The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location, with the sole exception that pre-packaged, pre-labeled Firearm Products may be dropped off at UPS Customer Centers. Non contract shippers must coordinate with a UPS approved Firearm Products shipper to whom they will ship the Firearm Product to obtain a shipping label that complies with UPS's requirements for the shipment of Firearm Products. Such pre-packaged, pre-labeled shipments can be tendered at a UPS Customer Center.

There is no longer any practical way to ship firearms through UPS unless you are an FFL (or have a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account; I have such an account, but they have told me directly I am not to ship firearms using it).

I have already dealt with the California end. It's a hassle, but so far much easier than the Washington end.

Anyway, hoping to hear about a savvy FFL in the Bellingham area.

I meant what I said:

There is no longer any practical way to ship firearms through UPS unless you are an FFL (or have a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account; I have such an account, but they have told me directly I am not to ship firearms using it).

I have already dealt with the California end. It's a hassle, but so far much easier than the Washington end.

Anyway, hoping to hear about a savvy FFL in the Bellingham area.
That's not correct. Buy a label through ShipMyGun. Take it to UPS hub. Bud's (SMG) has a contract with UPS that allows nonlicensees to ship guns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top