JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What do you plan to use the rifle for?

My vote is AR. I'm enjoying building my own as I go, lots of options for the AR exactly how you want it. I like the mini, but in my opinion it wasn't meant to be modified... not so many options to customize.

Just cause kinda rifle have Ak's and several others and was looking at 223 possibly.

Another vote for AR. Not a fan of the mini-14 and I like the AR's modular design. I also like the amount of available AR parts/accessories.

Can a Mini really be called a "platform"?

Sure it can, just stand on it. :D

Honestly, my vote goes towards the AR. Its accurate and reliable. Plus easier to add stuff onto. You can do a number of things with the AR. You can get a DMR set-up, a SPR set-up, recce set-up, w/e comes to your imagination set-up.

I was a fan of the mini 14 back in the day, shot a few and was kinda looking for a deal on one when the 94 ban came around. For the simple reason they didn't want me to have an AR I went that route. Over time I am glad I did.
CA Dept of Corrections went with the mini for tower guards way back when and didn't switch over to the AR citing that it was on the ban list even though LE has an exemption (though the CERT teams have ARs) The ones at San Quentin, Salinas, and a few other prisons near the ocean use stainless ones. The range masters tend to be lazy and not want to clean many weapons so they usually have everyone do the annual qualification on the same 2 or 3 rifles. They also tend to use the same ones repeatedly saving the others "new" so they don't have to do regular maintenance work on them. Every few years they end up replacing the few that are used as the stainless ones have a tendency to crack the receiver over time.

That said, you mention you might be adding something in .223 - you being an AK guy, you could go AK in .223 but they are about the only AKs I've run across that regularly are ammo or mag picky and have reliability issues.

I'd vote AR, primarily because you can easily change out anything you want easily and more cost effectively than the mini. You can swap uppers in seconds and go from a short to a long barrel or change calibers.

So what are your thoughts :
Mini 14 or AR platform ?

Let for argument sake look at both modified and stock.

Goods bad, ugly, fugly.

Thanks.

( ps how in the heck does one edit the thread topic under tools I see no options?)
I had a Mini 14 in the 80's, a great rifle, couldn't fault the Ruger, but I like the feel of the AR, it just "feels" right in the hand

Just cause kinda rifle have Ak's and several others and was looking at 223 possibly.
if you go AR get the 5.56 it will also shoot 223 no mods. A 223 wont shoot a 5.56

another option is to get an AR in 7.62x39 to avoid stocking up on different ammo to go with your AK's...

Mini-14 is a very soft shooter, almost boringly easy to shoot. My carbine length gas system AR's are snappier and follow up shots are slightly more difficult. You can make jokes about how .223 has no recoil anyway, but the impulse and barrel movement is certainly real. Rifle length gas system brings the AR to Mini-14 softness, the system as Stoner designed it. I don't like the rock and lock way the mags are seated in the mini-14, or the safety, love the stock sights. They are both good platforms.

Having had/have Mini 14, Mini 30 and AR I would not buy one unless you feel the need for the 'gun look'. Purchase cost and upgrade costs should be a consideration. Unless you get one at a rock bottom price I would go with an AR. You can 'barbie' it to your hearts' and wallets' content. The mini does have some issues that the shade tree gunsmith will be hard pressed to correct.

I was going to get a mini 14, dumb reason maybe, I liked the way it looked! After research, accuracy issues, mags, parts breaking.Anyway I decided against it, and after reading that link, glad I did!

Sooo, saw the Inland .30 carbine in a gun mag, loved the look, loved the history, ammo affordable and an easy re-load..... Did a month of researching, got one now and love it!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top