JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Decide which is important to you, accuracy or handiness.

My AR has an 18" barrel in .223 Wylde. The barrel is stainless steel, heavy barrel (both increase accuracy) with spiral flute (decreases harmonic vibration). It has a rifle length gas system (less pulse increases accuracy). On the bench with a smooth forward rest, less friction so the barrel can work, and no left hand holding the rifle so it can slide back without interference, it shoots .223 handloads I worked up with 5shot groups that are dime sized. Factory el cheapo ammo shoots 2-3" groups in the same rifle.

My next AR is going to be a faux SBR. 10.5 inch barrel, pistol stock, and an Eotech clone optic, mounted light/laser. It will have a carbine length gas system vs the 7.5" version as I have read that the pistol length gas system is very sharp/hard pulse, hard to tune for ammo, and fussy. The reason I am building this version is for house clearing if I need to leave the bedroom, and also for fun shooting at 3-gun matches.

:s0003:

Last Edited:
I like many folks here have owned both including the newer 580 series with the tapered bbl and better gas port and yes the new set up is a lot better than the old school guns.

Problems (many have already said them)

Use only Ruger mags the after market mags do not reliably work even if you rework them yourself and I have tried.

Old ones are louder and kick a bit more and tends to throw brass farther than the bullet (or it seems to) as the gas port pushed too much gas to the rear hence the change in the 580 series. I think this solved some of the cracked receiver issues as well.

Due to politics in the Ruger family after the assault weapons ban was lifted they still only would issue the rifles with 5/10 round mags and it wasn't until the last family member left the board of directors did you see 20 and 30 become available again. I want to say around 2008/9 but not sure. This killed sales big time and helped push the AR to front faster in my opinion.

Not a lot of accessories to dress the princess up with.

Pros

Easier to clean
Needs to be cleaned less often
Looks less threatening (with 5 round mag more traditional looking)

The AR is what it is the Barbie doll of the gun world

Mags are cheaper and the gun will work most of the time even with bad quality mags.

The princess can be dress up in many different outfits all on the same day as there is so much stuff out there.

Even cheap home built ones are fairly reliable and shoot quiet well.

So as much as I like the Mini 14 all I have is ARs in 5.56 and have sold my Minis years back.

So go with the AR

If you want an AR that shoots 7.62x39 and uses AK mags look at the CMMG Mutant its advantage is a 308 bolt and carrier so less chance of breaking bolt lugs and it uses cheap AK mags so no feed issues.

https://www.cmmginc.com/product-category/rifles/7-62x39/

It really is a preference and intended use discussion. The AR15/M14 is a 5.56/.223 round. M14 is a shorter version of the M1; a .308/7.62x51 round. If you really like the AR platform but want more power, split the difference and purchase an AR10 (.308/7.62x51). (If you want to use snap-up sights you'll need to purchase a rail riser for the front sight)

I love the Springfield Arms M1 National Match. Solid, beautiful wooden stock, great action and dead on shooting. Add a scope and you have a wonderful hunting/long range rifle. It really is a fantastic, well balanced/multi-use firearm.

If you're seeking classic versatility, the Ruger ranch rifle is a nice alternative to a black rifle, especially for us rural folks with coyote and such.

Or you could get a Ares SCR and have the best of both worlds
fc7x9Wy.jpg

I owned a GB SS Mini-14 decades ago. I could hit a barn door if I was within 10 feet of it. Beyond that, it was iffy.

I have read they have really changed things around at Ruger re: the mini-14, so would probably try it again if I were in the market for something new in 5.56. Besides, it's cheaper than the other 5.56 I'm interested in, the SCAR16. :D

I owned a GB SS Mini-14 decades ago. I could hit a barn door if I was within 10 feet of it. Beyond that, it was iffy.

I have read they have really changed things around at Ruger re: the mini-14, so would probably try it again if I were in the market for something new in 5.56. Besides, it's cheaper than the other 5.56 I'm interested in, the SCAR16. :D

Oh @Martini_Up Whats 2-3 grand difference, LOL

So what are your thoughts :
Mini 14 or AR platform ?

Let for argument sake look at both modified and stock.

Goods bad, ugly, fugly.

Thanks.

( ps how in the heck does one edit the thread topic under tools I see no options?)
I would choose the AR format because of its versatility. If you own the lower all you have to have to meet new demands is a chambered upper in any of several calibers and a magazine for that round. You can use a 6.8spc to hunt medium game or a 6.5 grendal for varminting at longer range or a 458 SOCOM for destroying brick walls and the list goes on. A Ruger mini 14 is sort of fixed in what ever it came with.:p

I would choose the AR format because of its versatility. If you own the lower all you have to have to meet new demands is a chambered upper in any of several calibers and a magazine for that round. You can use a 6.8spc to hunt medium game or a 6.5 grendal for varminting at longer range or a 458 SOCOM for destroying brick walls and the list goes on. A Ruger mini 14 is sort of fixed in what ever it came with.:p

All these rounds can use a standard 5.56/.223 lower???... How about .300 Blackout or .308? I've never been able to find the info on this. :confused:

After shooting an M1 for several years, I was delighted to be issued a M14 during AdvInfTng at Fort Ord in 1967.

When I first saw a Mini-14 in 2012 (long time, no shoot), I had to have one of the ATI-stocked 5841 Tacticals. Despite there being "no aftermarket" for Mini-14s, my side-folder minimalist is unique now but it's still reliable and accurate.
5846-Walther-minimalist.jpg

By comparison, all ARs look alike to me because I have no experience with them! No matter what dress you put on Barbie, it's still a Barbie . . . .

The answer here is obviously the Garand rifle in a ~7mm caliber (as originally designed) with 10 round clips and the M-14's roller bolt for the op rod with a better gas plug. For those of you who have not used the M-1, M-14, and the Armalite in combat as have I you don't grok the absolutely supernatural, easily handled, and balanced beauty of an internal magazine and the < 1 second time it takes to recharge said mag with an en bloc clip.

It could even have a modern stock with all the bullbubblegum rails that take the mostly useless modern accessories y'all desire. I'll take mine smooth, mean, and lean.

All these rounds can use a standard 5.56/.223 lower???... How about .300 Blackout or .308? I've never been able to find the info on this. :confused:

.300 BLK will work. .308 will not. Colt's 901 can switch from 5.56 to .308 but it requires extra parts for the conversion. Also other details I can't remember off the top of my head, but not worth it IMO.

No matter what dress you put on Barbie, it's still a Barbie

But this barbie you speak of don't mind dirt and mud.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top