JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So what are your thoughts :
Mini 14 or AR platform ?

Let for argument sake look at both modified and stock.

Goods bad, ugly, fugly.

Thanks.

( ps how in the heck does one edit the thread topic under tools I see no options?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't feel like the Mini 14 is very modular like the AR is, but it's a great rifle.
Mags are more expensive.

I had a Mini 14 and maybe it was the stock or mags I had but it wasn't reliable. I know that's not common for a mini, but it burnt me on them.

More options, and cheaper options, for the AR. But knowing your love for the SKS, I can see why you might be drawn to the Mini-14 ;) Mags for the 14 are definitely more expensive than AR mags (depending on what you buy). And, if the AR doesn't fit you well, you can change it up with a different stock or handguard, not as easy with the 14. All that said, I'd love to add a Mini-14 to my collection some day.

If they are being given away, I'll take both... If my hard earned money is funding the acquisition, definitely the AR. More choices to make it exactly what fits your current or perceived needs...

See, one thing I have learned is to not compromise when it comes to what I want... Especially when it comes to firearms and spouses...

Many things in life you can compromise on, those two should be non-negotiation zones...

What do you plan to use the rifle for?

My vote is AR. I'm enjoying building my own as I go, lots of options for the AR exactly how you want it. I like the mini, but in my opinion it wasn't meant to be modified... not so many options to customize.

for whatever its worth.. I purchased a ruger mini 14 ranch rifle from bimart many, many ,many years ago.. it functioned, but occasionally jammed. the best groups i could shoot at 100 yards, sand bagged, were around 5 inch groups… very disappointing. I got rid of it and purchased my first ar-15- A1 in 1992, it was the commando version with the 11 inch barrel and permanent 5 inch flash hider.. it would shoot 1 to 2 inch groups at hundred yards all day, and never failed to feed.. I still have the commando ar-15 after 20+ years, and am an AR-15 guy now..

A friend of mine's brother in law acquired a Mini-14.. he loves it. He doesn't think much of the AR15 itself, but prefers the Mini-14.. partly due to the A-team look, and partly due to it looking more like a normal rifle to him than the AR15...

Although... I would pick the AR15 any day. Cheaper to build, its like Firearms Lego ;)

If an enterprising company had the money and the will to do so... they would build an American version of the SKS chambered in .223.......
I know Norinco DID make a run of the SKS in .223 for export markets... I believe a few made their way to Canada.....

Of course, it would be more expensive than the AR......

Last Edited:
I'll go mini-30 ahead of the 14.
That whole "pencil barrel" thing is soooo last month:s0013:
The modern style (this decade ) Ruger isn't your grandpas mini no more.
As far as reliable goes, there's not many weapons for the $ that are as reliable.
Realistic accuracy is an easy deal, pull the trigger on a soup can@100 yards and you'll hit it right out of the box.
Yes the mags are expensive, but it's about as tough and reliable as an AK, and about twice as durable a colt-AR, and I have had several of both.
To be honest, I can't see me adding another AR platform to the list anytime soon, but that's just me and to each their own.

Accuracy: AR-15
Dependability: both
Simplistic design: Mini-14 (rod operated vs DI/BCG)

Owned both, would never own another Mini-14 again. I've actually never owned an accurate Mini.. From ones in the early 80's to a current 2013 production model.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top