JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I was at North Sound Arms, Burlington, WA, the other day, I saw the new Wash. Legal Mini 14. Black plastic stock, deleted handguard. So, Ruger has undertaken to address our situation here in Wash. having to do with the dreaded "barrel shroud." The price tag was a little over a grand. Maybe a reduced price is actually in order since they don't have to use as many parts.

While I get the gut reaction of the "But there are less parts! Why does it cost the same/more!" The actual reason is there are new parts that are going to service a much smaller customer base than the default, already developed parts. That, coupled with the added inventory and logistics of the new model, does reasonably translate into a higher cost when you consider all the factors.

While I get the gut reaction of the "But there are less parts! Why does it cost the same/more!" The actual reason is there are new parts that are going to service a much smaller customer base than the default, already developed parts. That, coupled with the added inventory and logistics of the new model, does reasonably translate into a higher cost when you consider all the factors.
Yeah, I was mostly kidding about that. I realize that it's a special item, smaller market. I should use an emoticon at the end when I make tongue-in-cheek utterances.

Since I made the OP, I decided to look at the Ruger website to see if it was listed. If it is, I couldn't find it. Now I'm wondering if the mod was done locally? I should've taken the time to ask to look at one. I am pretty sure they were new guns.

Yeah, I was mostly kidding about that. I realize that it's a special item, smaller market. I should use an emoticon at the end when I make tongue-in-cheek utterances.

Since I made the OP, I decided to look at the Ruger website to see if it was listed. If it is, I couldn't find it. Now I'm wondering if the mod was done locally? I should've taken the time to ask to look at one. I am pretty sure they were new guns.
If you aren't already familiar, it's a plastic heat shield held in place with a simple steel clip. My first guess is that the shop popped it off and ,TaaDahh. The srp for minis has been stupid high for years now already.

How long will it take for WA to change their minds and put this one on the Holy list also?
They'll wait until the US Supreme Court strikes down this HB1240. Then they'll pass a new ban which is even worse. It will likely be unenforceable, but someone who is charged with a state crime has to fight it in state court (for the first three rounds). I'd think it is a safe bet that the current AG thinks that WA state court is more favorable than federal court.

That all adds up to mean that even if never convicted the person charged gets run through the ringer. It would be doubtful that the unconstitutional criminal charge is simply immediately dismissed.

I have that problem all the time. I also am bad at using the reactions, which also seem to be a big deal around here. Eventually everyone will just think I am a rude bubblegum, which to be honest will not be all that wrong.

I also went looking for it to find out if it was a new stock/foregrip mold or just a modification of an existing part. Noting on their site yet, and no pictures in the googles either. I am making some assumptions that it would be to make it look neat and professional and not a bubba'd hack job but even if it were just a deletion of a part that still takes some extra effort to pull off. Mini-14s are up there in price at the best of times, and this is not exactly the best of times. For the MSRP I wish they made them in more fun cartridges. I would consider it for a real thumper cartridge, but not a .223.

Last Edited:
I also went looking for it to find out if it was a new stock/foregrip mold or just a modification of an existing part. Noting on their site yet, and no pictures in the googles either. I am making some assumptions that it would be to make it look neat and professional and not a bubba'd hack job but even if it were just a deletion of a part that still takes some extra effort to pull off. Mini-14s are up there in price at the best of times, and this is not exactly the best of times. For the MSRP I wish they made them in more fun cartridges. I would consider it for a real thumper cartridge, but not a .223.
How likely is it that these are pre-ban guns they had in stock at the time the ban went into effect, and subsequently modified themselves? I noticed the MSRP of black stock Ranch Rifles on the Ruger website is $1,300 something, so at $1,100 something, North Sound Arms has them discounted. Which isn't all that unusual in "normal" times. The Henry Rifle site comes right out and says, "expect to pay less than MSRP" or something like that. Which is not usual.

If you aren't already familiar, it's a plastic heat shield held in place with a simple steel clip. My first guess is that the shop popped it off and ,TaaDahh. The srp for minis has been stupid high for years now already.
I should've taken a closer look at them.

I'd guess it is a regular Mini 14 with non-threaded muzzle where they removed the top handguard
Again I say, I should've taken a closer look at them.

How long will it take for WA to change their minds and put this one on the Holy list also?
The same thought occurred to me.

How likely is it that these are pre-ban guns they had in stock at the time the ban went into effect, and subsequently modified themselves? I noticed the MSRP of black stock Ranch Rifles on the Ruger website is $1,300 something, so at $1,100 something, North Sound Arms has them discounted. Which isn't all that unusual in "normal" times. The Henry Rifle site comes right out and says, "expect to pay less than MSRP" or something like that. Which is not usual.
I don't have enough info to have a strong opinion on that. I don't own a mini-14 to pull apart and see if the guard is integral to anything structural like the forgrip bands. If it is integral to keeping those tight then it probably is not a shop mod. On the other hand if you can just pull the guards off and nothing goes loose or wonky then yeah, I can see a shop with inventory doing that to move them out the door.

OF course this is all just speculation. Until some company puts out a statement explaining what is going on I am not sure we can know short of going to the store and asking.

So... It looks like this?

download.jpeg

When I was at North Sound Arms, Burlington, WA, the other day, I saw the new Wash. Legal Mini 14. Black plastic stock, deleted handguard. So, Ruger has undertaken to address our situation here in Wash. having to do with the dreaded "barrel shroud." The price tag was a little over a grand. Maybe a reduced price is actually in order since they don't have to use as many parts.
Do you know if they also happened to have a Washington legal mini thirty? I've been trying to get a seller to sell me one with the handguard off for ages

I didn't ask about caliber, I just assumed they were 5.56. However, the rifles had black polymer stocks, blued steel and no flash suppressor. I just looked at the Ruger website, they don't show any current Mini 30 in that configuration. It would be easy enough to call North Sound Arms and ask.

Save yourself the aggravation and keep rockin your sks. My mini 30 is showing signs of becoming a mini money pit
I wish I had an sks but unfortunately I don't and they're on the ban list. Mini 30 seems to be the only viable option if I wanted to shoot 7.62x39 semi auto. I've seen the VZ 58 liberty but it's 1600 bucks and finding someone willing to transfer it is a bit difficult.

I didn't ask about caliber, I just assumed they were 5.56. However, the rifles had black polymer stocks, blued steel and no flash suppressor. I just looked at the Ruger website, they don't show any current Mini 30 in that configuration. It would be easy enough to call North Sound Arms and ask.
Ah ok thanks. I gave their website a quick gander and they didn't seem to have anything on there. I'll give them a call in the next few days.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews