JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi guys thanks for all the responses.
Never been a huge fan of the 223. Mostly cause everyone has an AR. and
I won't go Mini 30, because in my research I found it likes good 7.62x39 and not so much
plinking 7.62x39. Meanwhile my SKS and AK's could give a crap what I feed it they fire all day long. And I have heard the Mini-14 and the AR's are pretty reliable too.
I like the idea of an AR in 7.62x39 but not sure I would get a huge gain over what I have now in that caliber. But and AR in that caliber might be work it. I agree as well 5.56 would be the route if I went AR. Thanks for all the advice some good stuff. BTW I have show AR in 5.56 I liked it was a tad short and wellk as the Mini 14 they are both small for my reach which is why maybe a AR as an extended stock for a Mini-14 is pricey too . I like my Tactical, Paratrooper size SKS I have and would like a 5.56 in that size platform as it fits. When I said Mini 14 I was thinking small carbine for those wondering why I called a Mini 14 a platform. The reason once again that getting an AR in 7.62x39 may not be the route why intriguing, Not sure I would get any benefit over what I already have in that caliber. But being I have not shot and AR in a 7.62x39 I cant say for sure.
Not is a rush, so will keep checking around in research. Guy around here has a extended stock Mini 14 with a couple mags and some ammo for 700.00 in 223. but not sure I am ready to jump on that still gathering intel.

Don't get an AR in x39... the straight walled mag-well makes for notoriously unreliable magazine feeding issues. o_O
Ive seen some videos that they require a descent modification, special magazines as even after money spent they are not reliable. And are pricey by the time you get to fire one.

How do you edit the threat topic ??? I don't see it in edit ??

After 5 minutes of posting a thread you can't change it
Don't get an AR in x39... the straight walled mag-well makes for notoriously unreliable magazine feeding issues. o_O

Or, get an AR with a lower that will accept standard AK magazines...

lar47_Car15.gif

Kruejl: "Another vote for AR. Not a fan of the mini-14 and I like the AR's modular design. I also like the amount of available AR parts/accessories."

The ability to customize, accessorize, or build an AR to your personal need or interest, drives my vote. That being said, I have nothing against the Mini-14 and never owned one. To each his own.

one advantage the AR has is a literally unlimited options in optics, scopes, laser/lights, iron sight mounting options.

for any caliber

If you do get a mini, make sure it is the newer tapered barrel model instead of the pencil barrel. I've had both, and the newer one is far and away more accurate. They will never be amazing paper punchers, but they are fun rifles, will hit bowling pins at 100 yards all day long,and I will ,always have mine. I do love my ARs though, but sometimes they can be boring, and I just want to switch it up. DSCN2418.JPG

Your a fan of the .762x39, right?
Your also a fan of the AK correct?
I agree that the SKS and the AK are excellent choices as a weapon.
Is it a matter of need or want?

I've owned and own a few good AR platforms, they are very interchangeable (with the exception of some Colt models)
And are all the rave today, given that you can add everything including possibly a beer holder to it.
It will flame many here when I say that there a bunch that have them because everyone else does, just stating what I see and hear from fellow shooters folks, so flame away.
If your serious about the 5.56 AND the AK platform, then you should possibly take a look at the Galil or it's much less expensive cousin the Golani sporter, the best of both worlds so to speak.
But then again, I do enjoy my AR platforms quite a bit, and as a side note I've had all but one of them since before Obama was even a senator.

What about the Daewoo AR-100 version of the K2? Fires the 5.56 ammo, and is basically a mix of M16 and AKM parts that work together. Some AR15 parts works in the K2, and it uses AR mags. Gas system is based on the AKM design; a gas piston system. I don't know if you can easily put optics on it though.
EDIT: AR100 is the civilian 5.56 version, the DR-200 is the civilian .223 version, and the DR-300 is apparently the 7.62x39 civilian version

Your a fan of the .762x39, right?
Your also a fan of the AK correct?
I agree that the SKS and the AK are excellent choices as a weapon.
Is it a matter of need or want?

I've owned and own a few good AR platforms, they are very interchangeable (with the exception of some Colt models)And are all the rave today, given that you can add everything including possibly a beer holder to it.It will flame many here when I say that there a bunch that have them because everyone else does, just stating what I see and hear from fellow shooters folks, so flame away.
If your serious about the 5.56 AND the AK platform, then you should possibly take a look at the Galil or it's much less expensive cousin the Golani sporter, the best of both worlds so to speak.
But then again, I do enjoy my AR platforms quite a bit, and as a side note I've had all but one of them since before Obama was even a senator.

Hi there, hes the type of gun owner I am , I but what I like and what I know works.
I love Sig the older the better. I would not sell a Sig I look at them as a thorough bred.
I don't own a Glock, not really ever thinking about one, but when I do its because geees every tom dick and harry has one. True even if Glock owners wont admit I gets looks at My LE P229 40SW and someone always offers me stupid crazy money to buy it. I say offer me even 5K wont sell its cause I like them and that one particular and it works flawless. But then seeing so many that own a Glocks I think hmmm I wonder.......

I digress to AR, I know everyone loves the 223 / 5.56 infact I bet there more AR topics here then anything else. I would put the Ak's or SKS up against one all day long as I know them well every nut, bolt, screw. But then all these crazy bastages love there Ar's and it makes one ask.... hmm am I missing something. Its not that I am not happy with the arms I have make me wonder why so many stay with the same typical firearms and is what brought me in to asking and thing about try a setup. I am also considering a Glock but thats another thread :).

So its neither a want or need, more of a hmmmm

But then all these crazy bastages love there Ar's and it makes one ask.... hmm am I missing something.
the only reason the AR is more popular is because there are more options and its easier to customize. When it comes down to the nitty gritty the AK has been holding its own against the AR in every war since they were invented and all the new tacticool bubblegum on any rifle means nothing against the man that knows how to make whatever hes got work (training). Get a new rifle for the love of guns but dont expect it to be some game changer over your AK they are both great guns fun to shoot.

Get a new rifle for the love of guns but dont expect it to be some game changer over your AK they are both great guns fun to shoot.

Could be a game changer. I used to love AKs and hated ARs. Then I shot an AR and it just clicked. Sparks flew and all, the typical romance clichés. Course there's only one way to find out. ;)

Using after market 30 round magazines, I had a hell of a time passing the course because the frequent malfunctions made me late on the time limits. When I finally passed, the CPD SWAT guy looked at me and said:

"You know, that Mini-14 is completely unsuitable for law enforcement. That's a nutjob militia survivalist's gun. It's not anything you should actually carry to protect yourself."
He makes some points worth noting but..

As he stated in an earlier point, aftermarket mags aren't reliable so why put in the story of his crappy 30 round mag and the derogatory survivalist comment? My experience is Ruger mags run flawlessly.
Also my newer one (tapered barrel), gets under 3" groups consistently for me all day long but occasionally much, much better. Tends to make me think it's me or the ammo that is holding the rifle back from being more accurate. I've put a couple holes in paper that touch anyway quite often. Never three together that close though LOL!
The safety position is also not a problem in my opinion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top