JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a Mini 14 and used it at an Appleseed shoot at our gun club. I haven't been an AR fan, but quickly realized that the AR platform is more durable and will take the firing of 250 rounds much better that the mini 14. AR platforms are designed for punishment. I sold my mini 14 and am in the process of relieving myself of a mini 30 that has way more problems.

Sooooo, these will work with my standard lower that I shoot 5.56 with? Sorry to be a pain my local gun shop not too helpful.
The 300 blackout had, as part of its design, compatibility with AR lowers and standard mags as a requirement. The 6.8 SPC, while a fantastic round, is better served with a slightly different mag, which means you end up with 6.8 mags which don't do well with 5.56 rounds and 5.56 mags which don't do well with the 6.8 SPC. If you've changed out the buffer spring, and I'm guessing you haven't, it should be swap and shoot. Up here in WA, there are usually 2 or 3 vendors at every show who are offering uppers. Get there early, as they often sell out quickly.

I had a Mini 14 and used it at an Appleseed shoot at our gun club. I haven't been an AR fan, but quickly realized that the AR platform is more durable and will take the firing of 250 rounds much better that the mini 14. AR platforms are designed for punishment. I sold my mini 14 and am in the process of relieving myself of a mini 30 that has way more problems.
250 rounds "punishing"? Maybe 25,000 but no way is 250 rounds punishing to either of the carbines.

One thing to watch for the 300BLK mags is the fact you could accidentally insert the one loaded with 300blk into a 5.56 upper or vice versa... but as long as you are aware of which mag is which.. you oughta be OK :) a 300Blk mini 14 shouldnt be hard to acquire though. Especially if it is just the barrel with the right chambering.

I have packed the M-1 Rifle, M-1 Carbine and the M-14 as well as the M-16A1 in da "bubblegumA" as they say these days. All 3 M1 platforms perform as well as any AK and 3X better than an AR, this BS about an "Open Bolt System" is just that, any system can be jammed by dirt, how does having a 'open system' where dirt can be shaken out of as easy as it enters a deficit? BTW why is a Mini being compared to a military rifle any way? The Mini is a perfectly reliable platform if one is not charging/swimming through salt water, crawling through the dunes and following swamps prepitory to making a bayonet charge. My personal favorite is an M-2 Carbine, for personal reasons, but I'm not married to it, firearms are tools, they are NOT Totems and bestow no promise of Alpha Status nor invulnerability. Keep in mind that Audie Murphy, while in Italy, packed a WW1 Trench Knife, a 45 ACP Revolver and a 1903A3 Springfield which he happily swapped for a Tommy gun and grenades when needed. In Germany he packed a M-1 Carbine w /a "good trigger" to kill snipers with, snipers, trained snipers. think on that. Firearms are tools but it takes a craftsman to use a tool to it's full advantage. Mad skillz is the difference with any weapon system

this BS about an "Open Bolt System" is just that, any system can be jammed by dirt, how does having a 'open system' where dirt can be shaken out of as easy as it enters a deficit?

Exposed bolt, open bolt is something else. Aside from that, its not really BS. What's BS is people assuming those conditions are very likely to occur. Anyone smart enough doesn't jump action first into mud. Or crawl with the rifle being dragged with the action in the mud. You're not going to be caught in a sandstorm every day of the year in a desert, I doubt they even happen much at all in a year. Unless you have some really loose dirt and really strong wind, doubt that'll be an issue. But even so, an exposed bolt would more susceptible to those than a system without an exposed bolt. Not doubting you, just that people are generally smart enough to avoid the issues, making the downside of an exposed bolt not much of an issue to begin with. Though certainly the AR has improved since then.

Just putting cons where cons go. Course the big con for the AR compared to the M1 Garand and M14 is that you can't pummel someone to death with an AR when it jams. For that reason I'm eventually going to get a M14 as well. Just not soon like I wish I could.

Of course, one can always disagree. As the saying goes; "opinions are like bubblegums, everyone's got one."

This dirt in the exposed bolt talk is confusing to me. Who would be running around with the breech open in the mud and such anyway?
I owned a Mini 14 30 years ago and sold it. Didn't have any real problems, just needed the money for my young family. I bought a second Mini 14 about during the "assault weapons ban" and just sold it a few years ago. I found the accuracy to be ok @100 yards - I got it down to 3 1/2 inch groups. I never developed the magic touch to replacing the bolt in the receiver, I had to fight that thing every time I cleaned the rifle. I was also not fond of the AK style magazine catch. Another annoying quirk was the brass ejecting 10 feet away, literally. Sure, I could have bought an adjustable gas block and fixed that, but why should I have to buy an aftermarket solution do a design shortcoming?
When I was in the Army I was issued and M-16A1/M203, so I was familiar with the AR platform. I bought my first AR 15, a Bushmaster, two days before Sandy Hook. Within the year I built another. I enjoy modifying my firearms so I think I'll stick with the Armalite Rifle platform.

This dirt in the exposed bolt talk is confusing to me. Who would be running around with the breech open in the mud and such anyway?

The bolt on the M1 Garand/M14/etc is exposed. Though I should have just said exposed action. Not good for foreign matter such as dirt, sand, mud, etc. Meh, it is what it is. Every gun has its downside, that's just one of them for those rifles.

Last Edited:
A simple change of the gas port chiminny to a smaller dia. Solves the issue of flinging brass into the next county on the mini-14 or the -30.
After a trigger swap my stainless 30 is a MOA shooter or better depending on the ammo used and I do my part. I've never had a single failure to fire/feed or eject issue even with steel cases.

I keep a Mini-14 around. Maybe when confiscation gets going it will be viewed as a "sporting rifle". Who knows. As previously mentioned the early Mini's didn't have superb accuracy but the two I had always fired, never jammed, digested all ammo, even when dirty. My stainless 182 model was very accurate and the current owner shoots coyotes with it. My new one with the new barrel, is very accurate. With an EOTech on it, I get ragged holes at 25 and 2-3 inch groups at 100. I haven't put glass on it but suspect it would do fine. I have AR's. They are fun too. :D

My first requirement for a rifle, esp. one in a cartridge that shoots flat, is accuracy.

I was interested in Mini 14 years ago, until I got a chance to shoot several.

They failed the accuracy test, and I have no interest in them.
I much prefer the AR 15

The 300 blackout had, as part of its design, compatibility with AR lowers and standard mags as a requirement. The 6.8 SPC, while a fantastic round, is better served with a slightly different mag, which means you end up with 6.8 mags which don't do well with 5.56 rounds and 5.56 mags which don't do well with the 6.8 SPC. If you've changed out the buffer spring, and I'm guessing you haven't, it should be swap and shoot.

Thanx for the info!!

I had always heard of the accu. problems inherent with the Mini. I had never shot one untill a buddy showed up with one! When I asked him about this "problem" he just handed it over and said have a go! My eyes were opened that day. I would agree that like every other rifle design if you do your part, it will do its. That mini shot mil spec groups at 100 yards with the open sights and factory blamo! Would I choose to add one to my collection? prolly not, but I was impressed enough by this inaccurate rifle! I do like the M-1 type of action and the 5.56 chambering, just don't really like how Ruger went about it!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top