JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at Forest Grove BiMart Monday and saw they had a Ruger Ranch Rifle ~ $970 and an M1 in the $1500 range. They may have been there a while. I don't go to the gun section as much these days.

I like my mini 14, It's fun, actually shoots well, reliably hits point of aim. I rarely shoot it because It's not for handloading.
It sevearly dents the case. Every case. Not talking hard to see in the right light dent, but a major deep crease.

The cases fly inconsistently, and any where within a 160 degree area, (bench shooting) , 180 (standing) even worse, up to 65 feet away! 21 1/2 yards!
Without a metal detector, shells landing in the eclectic mix of forest debris, your hard put to find more than 30/ 40 % even if they weren't dented.
I don't like shooting what I can't reload.
I'm not sure if there is a fix, or just improvement from messing with the springs or gas, but since this one is plastic stocked, it doesn't interest me enough to spend money or fiddle with possible taming of the sore spots.
I don't know it this applies to all mini14's.

I like my mini 14, It's fun, actually shoots well, reliably hits point of aim. I rarely shoot it because It's not for handloading.
It sevearly dents the case. Every case. Not talking hard to see in the right light dent, but a major deep crease.

The cases fly inconsistently, and any where within a 160 degree area, (bench shooting) , 180 (standing) even worse, up to 65 feet away! 21 1/2 yards!
Without a metal detector, shells landing in the eclectic mix of forest debris, your hard put to find more than 30/ 40 % even if they weren't dented.
I'm not sure if there is a fix, or just improvement from messing with the springs or gas, but since this one is plastic stocked, it doesn't interest me enough to spend money or fiddle with possible taming of the sore spots.
The Mini has been well known for throwing brass into the next county since they hit. :D
As for a fix, yes there is. They sadly are not cheap but, there have been after market parts to keep them from doing this because they have LONG been a big seller.

A buddy of mine had one that did the same thing. Unfortunately, it would barely hold a six-inch pattern at a hundred yards no matter what he fed it.

A buddy of mine had one that did the same thing. Unfortunately, it would barely hold a six-inch pattern at a hundred yards no matter what he fed it.
That too was pretty normal for these. The standard for decades was 3-5 MOA from them. I have "heard" that many years ago the Co found a way to greatly improve on this but I have not shot one in a LONG time to see it that's true. For decades after they hit one would come out now and then that shot on par with a decent AR. No one was ever able to figure out how to make this happen to all of them though. This too had some after market stuff to really tighten the ability but, you had to end up spending as much as the rifle cost to have it done so seemed kind of pointless. Even with all this they still remain a strong seller oddly enough. I had a couple long ago when they sold for a LOT less than an AR. Back then the damn mags were always a problem as Ruger would not sell factory and after market was wildly different. You could find some that worked as well as OEM but it tended to get expensive or time consuming to end up with working mags other than the OEM 5 round.

my mini is hard on brass as well, while not a target rifle at all, I did one time set out 10 pumpkins about the size of a human head at a distance of one hundred yards. it took 11 shots to hit the ten punkins off hand so with that in mind I wouldn't want to get in a gunfight against it. and it is just fun to shoot.

That's nothin', I once had a Mini-14 that would (often) shoot around corners!

I traded it for this…
5167E8F6-E2AA-4475-8260-5C3D5245A436.jpeg

And it's actually a very decent shooter!

My mini-14 is very accurate until she heats up. Once the barrel heats up its no longer as accurate. One of my favorite go to rifles and the one I'ld grab if the shtf.

That store also has been carrying Sabatti rifles. I never knew of them till they had them. They look really well made.

There was also a Christensen Arms 223 scout sitting in the shelf that I stared at for a good couple of minutes. Drool may have been forming under my lips.

I love my mini 14.
But part of the reason is, I snagged a nearly new "tactical" model for $400 at a pawn shop.
Worth every penny haha.

Having to do it over, $600-$800 is a decent price.. I'd never buy one for $1k though.

Its funny....Ive contemplated getting a Mini-14 for eons, just never could bring myself to do it.
If I was gonna, would be a stainless folder, so I can Larp A-Team style.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top