JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like my mini 14, It's fun, actually shoots well, reliably hits point of aim. I rarely shoot it because It's not for handloading.
It sevearly dents the case. Every case. Not talking hard to see in the right light dent, but a major deep crease.

The cases fly inconsistently, and any where within a 160 degree area, (bench shooting) , 180 (standing) even worse, up to 65 feet away! 21 1/2 yards!
Without a metal detector, shells landing in the eclectic mix of forest debris, your hard put to find more than 30/ 40 % even if they weren't dented.
I don't like shooting what I can't reload.
I'm not sure if there is a fix, or just improvement from messing with the springs or gas, but since this one is plastic stocked, it doesn't interest me enough to spend money or fiddle with possible taming of the sore spots.
I don't know it this applies to all mini14's.
Isn't that the challenge? Seems loading for a gun with that kind of ejection pattern could/would be changed buy loading for lower pressure or different pressure curve using faster/slower powders. I cured a somewhat erratic ejection pattern on an M1 by adjusting powder charge.

When ARs weren't really available and the Mini-14 was $629 a while back I was very tempted. Mainly because I had no experience with them and really wanted an AR. I waited.

I'd be more interested in $1500 M1 than a $1000 Mini, but both would a, just because gun. My neighbor got his grandpappy's 30-30. That would be something worth having.

Isn't that the challenge? Seems loading for a gun with that kind of ejection pattern could/would be changed buy loading for lower pressure or different pressure curve using faster/slower powders. I cured a somewhat erratic ejection pattern on an M1 by adjusting powder charge.
Right, but if I did that, and it actually abated the problem, I'll need to come up with another plausible reason why I needed to buy the metal detector. :rolleyes:

I really, really want to love the Mini-14. When they were ~$200 and an AR was $1000+ they made sense, but as cool as they look they just don't cost justify these days, at least to me.

I love that they look like a regular hunting rifle and don't draw attention. In the same vein I very much prefer their aesthetic to an AR.

Reliability is a bonus. They are handy as hell and ergos are outstanding if not quite up to AR standards,

Aftermarket mags suck.

Accuracy is just acceptable for combat to a hundred yards or so.

They are LOUD.

They are not designed for DIY gun smithing. Give careful consideration to this if you are considering one for SHTF.

I traded my last one for an AR and the "buyer" got the better deal financially, but I got the better deal in terms of utility value. No regrets on my end.

No offense to those who love them. I get it.

Last Edited:
I was at Forest Grove BiMart Monday and saw they had a Ruger Ranch Rifle ~ $970 and an M1 in the $1500 range. They may have been there a while. I don't go to the gun section as much these days.
Question about Bi-Mart selling an M1 Rifle. I'm thinking it must be a used gun, I don't think anyone is making new ones now since SA Inc stopped many years ago. At least not new ones for $1,500. So that leaves me with the question, does Bi-Mart sell used guns?

Question about Bi-Mart selling an M1 Rifle. I'm thinking it must be a used gun, I don't think anyone is making new ones now since SA Inc stopped many years ago. At least not new ones for $1,500. So that leaves me with the question, does Bi-Mart sell used guns?
no
M1A's are avl.....https://gunwatcher.com/springfield-m1a-for-sale-in-stock/guns-best-price

what is this M1.?....thats a different animal?

Last Edited:
no
M1A's are avl.....https://gunwatcher.com/springfield-m1a-for-sale-in-stock/guns-best-price

what is this M1.?....thats a different animal?
In the original post, the guy said he saw an M1 Rifle at Bi-Mart for $1,500. Maybe he meant M1A. I hadn't thought of that until just now.

Turns out it is an M1A. Sorry for the confusion.

20230416_150121.jpg 20230416_150055.jpg

In the original post, the guy said he saw an M1 Rifle at Bi-Mart for $1,500. Maybe he meant M1A. I hadn't thought of that until just now.
Big brain fart on me. I forgot the M1 is 30-06 and the M1A is 308. For the last few post I was thinking, what are people going on, about?

These were never something I was into but am aware others are.

Big brain fart on me. I forgot the M1 is 30-06 and the M1A is 308. For the last few post I was thinking, what are people going on, about?
Hey, no problem. I was just wondering if Bi-Mart even sold used guns.

By the way, there are M1 Rifles (Garands) chambered in .308 / 7.62mm NATO. Sometimes they are for sale through CMP.

Just a basic M1A.. not even a NM model.

I can't believe how expensive everything became, seemingly overnight.
Which looks like very soon won't be a problem here in Wash. state because they won't be legal to sell at any price.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top