JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For a long time my "Nightstand gun" was the Colt pictured below.
Its a Colt 2nd Generation 1st model Dragoon.
I used 40 grains of 2F and a .454 round ball....I figured that if that didn't work , I'd drop that 4 pound revolver on the home invader's foot...that outta hold 'em down till the police arrive...:eek: :D

Nowadays I use a Colt Series '70 Government Model in .45ACP.
It works well for me and I shoot it nicely.
Andy
DSC06041.jpg
My old nightstand gun...pictured at top.

DSC06046.jpg
My slightly newer in design , nightstand gun...:D
( top one in the photo )

I have 2 nightstand guns, one of which is my edc. It gets shot every time I go shooting. The other one gets shot periodically but I have such an incredibly high confidence level with that gun of being able to hit anything accurately and quickly, including numerous targets, within any range needed in suburban areas that I don't need to shoot it all the time. But of course more is always better, especially early on before you've trained enough with it to get that super super high confidence level.

For me one of the most critical things is to not practice slow fire only. I almost never practice slow fire. I try to practice scenarios (not just home invasion) and imagine it unfolding before me. Then when the real thing comes I have practiced something similar many many times.

Since I listen to Dad music, might as well carry a Dad gun. Thinking of trading my G48 for a
Colt Detective Special.

I sold my Shield 40 recently. It's replacement is going to be a S&W 60 in 357. :D

I use to have a pair of P14-45s and a P10-45, lot of big bore fire power.
My first 45 and first 1911 was a P12-45. That was a pretty good little gun.

Shot a couple hundred rounds through my bedroom gun (Glock 17 RTF2 - Streamlight TLR2) a week ago. Speer lawman JHP for things that go bump in the night.

Here area my two bedside firearms that I fired two weeks ago. The sights on my FNX-9 are different from my VP9 so I practice with both.

A6D728B5-2D60-44E8-9CBD-5AA4175C5C71.jpeg

Last Edited:
My daily carry is DIFFERENT from my nightstand pistol.

WHY?

Because.....
I want the extra firepower that a double column mag allows me for my nightstand pistol. But, I don't really want the extra weight and bulk for my daily carry piece. YES, I worry that my pants will end up on the floor with all the extra weight. Not to mention that the double column's size is also a little more difficult to conceal.

That being said.....
YES.....by all means, practice.

On another note....
I like a double action first pull. Because it is familiar to me. Being that I'm old and I am used to revolvers.

BUT.....that's just ME.

Aloha, Mark

So why not get a 12 gauge shotgun or an AR Pistol for that extra firepower rather than a handgun round..

Except when in the shower, I am NEVER more than an arm's length from my EDC. My night stand is within arms reach.

But this thread made me realize I carry extra mags on the daily, but since I rarely wear pants to bed, I need to consider easier access to additional mags without having to get dressed.

Thank you.

I also take off my weapon when I take a shower.

My flashlight-spare mag rig has its place next to my weapon on my nightstand.

If I am Curious what that noise is... I take a handgun and a flashlight. If it's an "Oh Bubblegum" noise, I put the weapon and light in my belt and grab my 12ga, it also has a light.

I do the same thing. When I go and cut firewood with a chainsaw, I take only a napkin just in case. I leave the trauma kit behind for when I really KNOW I'm going to cut my leg off...:confused:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews