JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like most every other post so far. My nightstand pistola is my main carry piece. It gets used regularly at the range on each trip. Wifey does the same with hers. Sometimes it is a long gun only session at the range with no pistols. But those are rare sessions. When I cannot get to the range I dry fire practice. Just did some of that with the less frequently used pistols this past weekend. Yep, muscle memory is important - especially as one ages... gracefully. :rolleyes:

After a long career of gun toting I think the most important thing I learned is the value of muscle memory. We had one gun, one load and one holster, and trained constantly. When we transitioned from revolver to auto we were on the range shooting the qual course again and again to build muscle memory. I think that process took 2 weeks.

We had a range drill done in the dark. Draw and fire 6 rounds (revolver) as fast as you can. Our shooting stance was imprinted in our memories. The groups were amazingly tight, for some better than using sights.

Conversely, a gun buff pal has lots to choose from. There are summer guns and winter guns, there are air weights and steel guns, autos and wheel guns. Toss in a variety of holsters and pocket carry. Different guns have different loads, and the list goes on. He owns much and enjoys much but has little practical skill. A malfunction in an auto stops everything as he studies it while trying to figure out what to do.

Sure, I own other guns but my EDC is my nightstand gun. It sets on top of the nightstand, not in a drawer. I shoot it every 3 or 4 weeks, sometimes more,

Nightstand or EDC weapon (same piece for many here) should be fired frequently enough to function as a natural extension of the body. Whenever I go "turn money into noise," my concealable/SHTF gun is the last thing I shoot before heading home. In an emergency, it will probably be the next firearm I handle. So it only makes sense (to me anyway) that I should be extremely comfy, competent and confident with that one.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR