JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pistol or Revolver: What is your preferred carry load?

As for myself, I really like the Critical Defense 9mm 115 gr. for my primary gun.

"Critical DEFENSE® handgun ammunition is ideal for backup weapons, off-duty carry or for those serving in executive protection, undercover operations, or any dedicated close quarters situations.

Critical DEFENSE® provides controlled expansion while reducing the potential of over penetration. The patented FTX® bullet and associated Flex Tip® technology used in Critical DEFENSE® ammunition eliminates the clogging and inconsistent expansion and penetration that often plagues hollow point bullets.

All Critical DEFENSE® ammunition is loaded in nickel-plated cases for improved feeding and increased visibility in low-light situations. Critical DEFENSE® is unaffected by thick, heavy clothing (including denim and leather) and delivers superior controlled expansion with deep wound cavities over a wide range of velocities. Premium low flash propellants have been specifically tailored for short-barreled handguns to deliver proven performance."

Last Edited:
Any of these: Speer gold dot, hornady critical defense, federal HST (not low recoil), hornady critical duty
I concur with ilikegunspdx . In respect to Hornady ammo I'll add Critical Defense bullets are designed for use in compact pistols with less flash . Critical Duty bullets are suited to full-sized handguns. They use heavier bullets and heavier powder charges than Critical Defense ammunition, resulting in less recoil .

That's just the advertising fluff.
Actually not, it was my reasoning for choosing Hornady's Critical Defense load. It makes perfect sense to me. Certainly, this particular is a bit shallow penetrating and is not really optimal for barrier penetration and such. Nevertheless, I am confident with this particular load. :s0159:

Last Edited:
Just letting you know ...there is really no right or wrong answer to my question.

This post is about my own curiosity as to what people like to carry on this forum.

If you choose so, you can share if you desire.

Actually not
It literally is the bulk of their advertising. It doesn't provide any evidence based research based on law enforcement, or armed citizen encounters.

The question, and others like it, results in little more than which box was cheaper, which bullet looked cooler, or had prettier font. The site gets bogged down with questions that go nowhere.

I carry the Hornady Critical Defense. Because my defense is critical? TBH, I couldn't locate any volunteers to test it out on, so I'm just gonna have to fall for the advertisements. It functions in all of my carry pieces, and I can afford it. If it doesn't stop that steroid-laced MMA fighter who attacks me, I'll just have to sue Hornady later. :s0092:

I carry Hornady Critical Defense in all of my 9mm carry guns. I feel like I shoot most consistently with that over the other defensive ammos that I've tried. If I'm in the woods with my 10mm, I'll usually carry some flavor of Underwood (150gr Xtreme Hunter or 140gr Xtreme Penetrator).

I like to mix up hand reloads, fmj, corroded hollow points of various brands in a single magazine. Makes me feel like a real gansta. As long as they fit in the Lorcin I'm good.

Lorcin engineering, "live the dream".

1DEE9EDE-D79A-484C-8401-8831FB4F44B5.jpeg

Last Edited:
Failures to stop 2 and 4 legged predators is more likely a failure of marksmanship and bullet penetration than capacity and bullet expansion.

I'll take bullet penetration over expansion any day.

Well constructed bullets that are late bloomers should be looked at first.

HST, XTP, Gold Dot, and Wadcutters.

Name one predator, 2 or 4 legged that was stopped by bullet expansion vs bullet penetration...I'll wait...

"Name one predator, 2 or 4 legged that was stopped by bullet expansion vs bullet penetration...I'll wait..."

In the end, "context matters". Whether you're defending yourself or hunting, consider factors like distance, barriers, and the specific threat. As always, the best bullet is the one that hits its mark. 🎯💥

I like to mix up hand reloads, fmj, corroded hollow points of various brands in a single magazine. Makes me feel like a real gansta. As long as they fit in the Lorcin I'm good.

Lorcin engineering, "live the dream".

View attachment 1838876
So, my friend, keep mixing those rounds. Keep living the dream, Lorcin in hand. And may your symphony echo through time, a testament to the artistry of chaos. ;)

🔫💫

I'll take bullet penetration over expansion any day.

Name one predator, 2 or 4 legged that was stopped by bullet expansion vs bullet penetration...I'll wait...
And although we don't see them often, I keep a supply of 9mm soft points for that reason.

Soft Points are far more common in traditional revolver cartridges. And that's what I carry.

Last Edited:
Saw this in an ad from Midway that was in my email inbox this morning. Couldn't help but think of this thread.

Hey, this is "Enhanced" Terminal Performance. Can't miss here. Am I right? :s0092:

Fairly cheap too. Sorry @Cerberus Group Doesn't mention penetration on the box but look at that mushroom. :p

Okay, so maybe I really have no idea how well this stuff works. ;) But I do love the name and marketing.

1709997164635.png

I carry 158gr softpoints in my 357s.
In the 45 it is currently Black Talon, but often times it has been handloads with XTPs.
38 Special is some Federal "short barrel" ammo and in the 380 it's FMJ.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top