JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Everyone should read the linked article. Especially the explanation of the the "fawn" response. If you think about it, it is possible to condition an entire nation to exhibit the "fawn" response to an abusive government. Then look at what our K-12 education system has become, combined with social media. :eek:
I mean, I guess that's one way of looking at it . . .

Right vs left brain.jpg

Reads to me that he's saying it was all fake, no one was really killed and what you are watching is a bunch of actors, no one was really hurt, no one was killed and it was all fake
It's a odd take, but a popular one with some folks for reasons I don't understand 🤷‍♂️
I kinda figured it was something to that effect but I was hoping he'd say it because it seems like one of those things that sounds absurd when outright stated so it has to be danced around with, "I'm just asking questions" type arguments.

That's only part of the reaction options, the full list is fight-flight-freeze-fawn, and there is also disbelief / rejection of reality. If you have seen the videos from the Indonesian tsunami in 2004 it's horrifying to see people just walk out onto all the exposed beach after the waters receded, like even if it came back at a normal slow speed it wasn't going be a issue to be that far out
Like the man said:
I'm not a coward, I've just never been tested
I'd like to think that if I was, I would pass
Look at the tested, and think "there but for the grace, go I"
Might be a coward, I'm afraid of what I might find out

It could also be reverse survivorship bias, you are only seeing the ones that stayed, the ones that dipped are already gone or are leaving so you just focus on the ones that stay

They keep adding to that. Used to be just fight/flight. Those reactions are hard wired. They can be changed temporarily from an experience, such as narrowly missing a bad accident or almost dying, but eventually goes back to baseline.

They keep adding to that. Used to be just fight/flight. Those reactions are hard wired. They can be changed temporarily from an experience, such as narrowly missing a bad accident or almost dying, but eventually goes back to baseline.
That is an oversimplification. "Freeze" has always been in there too, and can be observed in nature, not just human reaction. "Fawn," from a natural perspective, is probably just a glitch. There have been strange cases of it recorded in nature (the calf laying down with the big cats eating its mother, for example) but it is rare enough they can be taken as one-offs. It is more interesting as a human reaction, because it does seem it can be conditioned at a larger scale in compliant populations. It seems to be rooted in the "if I seem compliant or supportive they will not target me" mindset. The calmness comes from the perceived deflection of the danger; you are integrating yourself with the attackers and thus defusing your danger response. Whether that is a realistic perception is, of course, situational.

That is an oversimplification. "Freeze" has always been in there too, and can be observed in nature, not just human reaction. "Fawn," from a natural perspective, is probably just a glitch. There have been strange cases of it recorded in nature (the calf laying down with the big cats eating its mother, for example) but it is rare enough they can be taken as one-offs. It is more interesting as a human reaction, because it does seem it can be conditioned at a larger scale in compliant populations. It seems to be rooted in the "if I seem compliant or supportive they will not target me" mindset. The calmness comes from the perceived deflection of the danger; you are integrating yourself with the attackers and thus defusing your danger response. Whether that is a realistic perception is, of course, situational.
Whether or not it's "always been there in actuality" wasn't my point. But thanks for the extra stuff.

Not saying it out loud is what makes it so fun! ;)
Well in that case, you ever actually driven across that bridge in Baltimore?? Cuz I've been to Baltimore for a couple of days about 15 years ago and I don't recall ever having driven across it. How do we know it was ever really there?

The wife and I have split season tickets for the Kraken. They have never balked at me bringing a Surefire in the arena.
At the Winterhawks games, they have started scrutinizing all of the items on even my keys.
Using a little dowel to poke at the items I put into the little dog bowl for visual inspection.

Yet, the metal detectors do not pick up on the defibrillator planted in my chest.
I have also accidentally walked through the metal detectors with my pocket knife in my pocket and they do not go off.

At the Winterhawks games, they have started scrutinizing all of the items on even my keys.
Using a little dowel to poke at the items I put into the little dog bowl for visual inspection.

Yet, the metal detectors do not pick up on the defibrillator planted in my chest.
I have also accidentally walked through the metal detectors with my pocket knife in my pocket and they do not go off.
Interesting. They started walking everyone through metal detectors at Silvertips games this year. I don't bother to empty my pockets. Keys, phone, flashlight go right though without a beep.

Prior to that I would have my P365 on me. Downtown Everett isn't the ghetto, but there's been a few creeps on the way in and out on occasion.

So metal detectors at The Veterans Memorial Coliseum for Winterhawks games? Is that what I'm to understand?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top