JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently realized that I hadn't shot my nightstand gun for quite a long time. Over 4 years, in fact... :eek:

It's a S&W M&P40 bought new in 2007 and is actually my oldest defensive handgun. It's got probably less than 200 rounds through it and is in immaculate condition since it just sits in my nightstand drawer. I added a weapon light and rubber grip sleeve to it and it makes sense to me as a bump-in-the-night pistol.

IMG_20200825_013749027.jpg

I took it out a couple of weeks ago and shot it. For some reason, the magazine was filled with handloaded 190gr hard cast rounds of a long forgotten formula. I shot up the magazine and one of them failed to fire. Likely one of my first batch of attempts to make my own pistol ammo and using a Lee hand priming tool that was not consistent in seating primers. Stupid.

I can't believe that for four years, I was relying on newbie handloaded ammo that actually failed to fire in case someone actually broke into my home.

I shot it a bunch, then cleaned it thoroughly and loaded the magazine with fresh Sig Sauer V-Crown 180gr rounds. Now it's good to go.

Just curious as to how often others actually shoot and refresh the ammo in their nightstand guns. I realize a lot of folks use their daily carry gun as a nightstand gun, but I have more than enough pistols to designate one in a specific role. My primary SHTF/rioters outside my door firearm is a 9mm PCC with 33 rounds of hollow points that sits behind a door with a biometric lock about 8' from my front door. My EDC is a P365 with 12 rounds and sits on the kitchen counter next to my car keys. Probably a bit of overkill in firepower due to the extremely low crime rate here, but, I like to be prepared, lol.

So, when's the last time you shot your nightstand gun?

I think it's a good idea for your night stand gun to be the same as your carry gun. It's what I prefer anyway...
I generally like the practice of not rotating carry pistols to maintain muscle memory for each pistol. I designated the M&P40 as my nightstand gun back when my EDC was an M&P40c.

But, using a P365 as a nightstand gun would not be optimal as the M&P40 has more capacity, more power, and a light. No way would I carry the full-size M&P with a light as EDC, but it has the same basic manual of arms as my carry gun with more capability, so I'm content with it.

Before my kid was born, I had the same situation going. I had Glock 17s and Mossberg 500s scattered everywhere. Now, I just carry a gun on me all the time so its not left where the kid can get a hold of it. When I go to bed, it sits on the nightstand with the hammer down. It gets shot pretty regularly. If I need to carry something small because its t-shirt and shorts weather, I switch out to a smaller gun at the safe before heading out.

When I was younger with kids in the home, I kept everything secured until they were old enough to learn gun safety. Now that I'm divorced and living alone, I can leave guns pretty much scattered throughout the home.

But, my home security system died about a month ago, so now everything is locked up tight. Having a 100lb dog with free reign of the property mean't I rarely even locked the back door. Now that he's gone, I've installed more locks and been strict about leaving any firearms unsecured. other than the nightstand gun.

My night stand gun is the same as my EDC gun and I shoot and replace the defensive ammo out of both my night stand gun and my EDC about every 6 months.

I try to shoot my EDC almost weekly to stay sharp but have a magazine+1 for chambered round of defensive rounds I take out and put back in after training days.

So far so good, have yet to have a jam or malfunction *knocks on wood*

I started a thread similar to this a while back about occasionally shooting my carry gun, which much like the OPs nightstand gun, got shot rarely.
Then my carry gun was a TCP. When I would take guns out to shoot the TCP got left behind. When I pulled the TCP out to take a few shots, second round misfeed.
Haven't shot that gun since. The Shield replaced it and was subject to random firings. It never missed a beat, proving why it was my carry gun for such a long time.

My bedside gun is my carry gun, and i shoot it every time I go to the range. Any gun who's purpose is to defend should be shot AT LEAST as much as any other IMO.

Like most every other post so far. My nightstand pistola is my main carry piece. It gets used regularly at the range on each trip. Wifey does the same with hers. Sometimes it is a long gun only session at the range with no pistols. But those are rare sessions. When I cannot get to the range I dry fire practice. Just did some of that with the less frequently used pistols this past weekend. Yep, muscle memory is important - especially as one ages... gracefully. :rolleyes:

My daily carry is DIFFERENT from my nightstand pistol.

WHY?

Because.....
I want the extra firepower that a double column mag allows me for my nightstand pistol. But, I don't really want the extra weight and bulk for my daily carry piece. YES, I worry that my pants will end up on the floor with all the extra weight. Not to mention that the double column's size is also a little more difficult to conceal.

That being said.....
YES.....by all means, practice.

On another note....
I like a double action first pull. Because it is familiar to me. Being that I'm old and I am used to revolvers.

BUT.....that's just ME.

Aloha, Mark

Except when in the shower, I am NEVER more than an arm's length from my EDC. My night stand is within arms reach.

But this thread made me realize I carry extra mags on the daily, but since I rarely wear pants to bed, I need to consider easier access to additional mags without having to get dressed.

Thank you.

My EDC and 'nightstand' gun are the same. Except it doesn't sit on the nightstand. I used to put it on the top shelf in the closet next to a flashlight to ensure I was wide awake before investigating a noise. Now it just stays with my pants, on the floor, right beside me. My EDC is a Shield with a Streamlight TLR-6 light/laser.

Before my kid was born, I had the same situation going. I had Glock 17s and Mossberg 500s scattered everywhere. Now, I just carry a gun on me all the time so its not left where the kid can get a hold of it. When I go to bed, it sits on the nightstand with the hammer down. It gets shot pretty regularly. If I need to carry something small because its t-shirt and shorts weather, I switch out to a smaller gun at the safe before heading out.

What hammer?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR