JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most likely they would have fled at the first shot like most these morons. That's why I say it might not matter what type of gun.

I fire cracker could of went off and I bet these cowards would have ran for the hills....I would have taken my chances
Probably but no guarantees.

It is good to know how quickly something can go down though. I think it would be as useful to learn what a Jugging is and how to spot it, that would really turn things in favor of the good guy.

I fire cracker could of went off and I bet these cowards would have ran for the hills....I would have taken my chances
Agree. I have witnessed 3 armed carjacking attempts in Pdx. All were knives. All went running when bystanders confronted them. One of them we caught after pinning in someone's back yard. bubblegumer tired me out though.

The only thing I've come close to when driving is crazy idiot which I showed video and have a thread about. When he pulled in front of me and stopped I was already in condition orange. When he opened his door to get out I was in condition red and was ready to use my 10.5" brn-180 .223 that was sitting on my lap if needed. The reason is between the time he opens the door to get out and the time he is pointing a gun at you can be like 1 second. So you have to be prepared Imo. Doesn't mean you can't run him over instead or whatever but it's nice to have all the options. No big deal in that case but there is very little time to go digging for a gun etc if you really need it.

How many people drive around every. single. day looking over their shoulder?
3 against 1 is pretty bad odds, if he had shot one of them would he have still won the fight?
Right. Driving off before they get close enough to pound on or shoot through windows is far more likely to leave you unharmed than engaging with them with your gun.

Actually, looking over your shoulder and all around is a good habit to get into when approaching and entering or leaving your car. Or house. Just like always sitting with your back to the wall in a restaurant and so situated so that if bad guys enter through front door you have the option of leaving through the back door or kitchen . Probably lots of people here do that. The guy in the video appeared to be in a residential area with little traffic. If so, ideally we would have noticed a vehicle with multiple passengers following us and would have passed our own home and led them off to somewhere else. Like the police department parking lot. That way bad guys wouldn't end up knowing where we live. Also, look around when leaving a bank and when approaching your car. And be aware of anybody following your car when you have left a bank. I have actually never used an ATM machine let alone after hrs. I use drive up window during banking hours.

Actually, looking over your shoulder and all around is a good habit to get into when approaching and entering or leaving your car. Or house. Just like always sitting with your back to the wall in a restaurant and so situated so that if bad guys enter through front door you have the option of leaving through the back door or kitchen . Probably lots of people here do that.
I agree its important to have situational awareness and know whats going on around you, but I'm not certain many (even many here) live life with their back to the wall everywhere they go... The latter seems to describe a whole different level other safety concerns than day to day life situational awareness.

How many people drive around every. single. day looking over their shoulder?
3 against 1 is pretty bad odds, if he had shot one of them would he have still won the fight?
Most days, even after a decade of not driving school buses, I still look for patterns, predict drivers actions by readying what they are doing, predicting pedestrians, looking for unusual situations, planning a way out, what if scenarios, planning how to react for certain situations.

Having a pre-prepared plan has saved me from many nutball drivers and thus far, I have dodged more accidents than I can count...

Knowing that in reverse and a slight turn on the wheel can whip the front of the vehicle around very fast.

When I have to be sitting in my work van, its in neutral with the e-brake on just enough to stop rolling, a light push or pull without use of brake to go into gear for a rapid getting out of an area...

I know my work van can backup upwards of 30mph, although steering is rather sensitive at that speed, mirror driving and maneuving is fun and when available, I'll back my work van for miles down long, narrow, and winding driveways for extra practice...

I agree its important to have situational awareness and know whats going on around you, but I'm not certain many (even many here) live life with their back to the wall everywhere they go... The latter seems to describe a whole different level other safety concerns than day to day life situational awareness.
We develop habits and do them automatically. Ya just think about any habit once and select the safer option. When conducting my habits I'm not thinking about them at all. So it requires no particular paranoid state of mind. Just like keeping our finger off the trigger when we are not aiming at something we intend to shoot. Once learned and reduced to habit we do it automatically without thinking about it at all.

I (and the wife) were carjacked at gunpoint in Miami in the late '90s. We were in a rental car. We were down there for the wife's HS reunion. I was still active duty, and it was before LEOSA anyway -- Florida recognized WA CPLs at that time, but I was not carrying as I at that time was not habituated to do so (obviously, after going in to LE full-time, I bought into the concept). Both of us instantaneously recognized that the two armed thugs would have no compunction about shooting us , so we gave up our rental car.

At the time, it was a good decision. Now if we'd had the grandkid in the backseat in a carseat or we'd been feeling a bit more prickly, who knows.

Had I been armed at the time, I would still have given up the rental car. So easy to say what one would do until it happens to you.

Regarding compliance. There's plenty of criminals that have killed their victims after they complied, and fighting back doesn't mean you will win the fight. There isn't a formula for this other than to keep your guard up.

Right. Driving off before they get close enough to pound on or shoot through windows is far more likely to leave you unharmed than engaging with them with your gun.

Actually, looking over your shoulder and all around is a good habit to get into when approaching and entering or leaving your car. Or house. Just like always sitting with your back to the wall in a restaurant and so situated so that if bad guys enter through front door you have the option of leaving through the back door or kitchen . Probably lots of people here do that. The guy in the video appeared to be in a residential area with little traffic. If so, ideally we would have noticed a vehicle with multiple passengers following us and would have passed our own home and led them off to somewhere else. Like the police department parking lot. That way bad guys wouldn't end up knowing where we live. Also, look around when leaving a bank and when approaching your car. And be aware of anybody following your car when you have left a bank. I have actually never used an ATM machine let alone after hrs. I use drive up window during banking hours.
I've driven by my house a couple of times due to cars following. The situation turned out to be false alarm. But a precaution taken without cause is okay.

Cowards, I don't know about that. In my mind, it takes some nerve to park in the middle of the street like that, go up on someone's property and accost a person in their vehicle. Standing there tapping on the windows like that; the clock's ticking. I guess the perps are used to non-response from bystanders and that emboldens them. Not good in any event. Car jacking is one thing I really shouldn't worry about because what I drive they don't want.

I've driven by my house a couple of times due to cars following. The situation turned out to be false alarm. But a precaution taken without cause is okay.

Cowards, I don't know about that. In my mind, it takes some nerve to park in the middle of the street like that, go up on someone's property and accost a person in their vehicle. Standing there tapping on the windows like that; the clock's ticking. I guess the perps are used to non-response from bystanders and that emboldens them. Not good in any event. Car jacking is one thing I really shouldn't worry about because what I drive they don't want.
A Ford? ;)

What's interesting is the perps were tapping on the glass with the gun but didn't shoot. You never know if they are going to shoot or not. That guy in Gresham a couple days ago was sitting in his car for warmth and perp shot him and took his car. Fwiw of the 3 car jackings I witnessed one guy got stabbed.

In addition to the delay from looking up from the text or deciding WTF is going on, I could see hesitation from wondering if they are going to instead try to get in your house where your wife and kids are.

Interesting video to watch. I've shot pistol match stages from an suv drivers seat out open passenger and drivers side windows. Those are tough angles to navigate from seated inside. Never shot through a car window but I imagine deflected points of impact would occur too. Three bad guys with firearms outside, I think the smart move was to drive away.

Yes, that and they are old. Mrs. Merkt's Hyundai I've read is often stolen but more due to technical ease of theft rather than jacking. We've had it back to the dealer for the recall and update. It's the cheapie model, probably not worthy of theft anyway.

My Crown Victoria may some day be coveted by thieves. I see they are racing them, tricking them out with hydraulics and big fat wheels so you never know.

There is an interesting Crown Vic over on the highway inland from here. It's a ex-police car that saw final service as a training vehicle for the PIT maneuver. It has massive, custom welded front and rear bumpers. It had I beam side rails which have been removed. Guy bought it at the local auction. He replaced the bent-up sheet metal, didn't repaint. He uses it for pizza delivery. Very scary, some people might not answer the door for him.

I once had a car follow me home to a dead end road on Lake WA. The guy was definitely following me. I had my 357 J frame in hand, and had just got back from a late night workout. I got out of the car with the J frame, and he drove off. One of the few times I seriously expected a bad outcome.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top