JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We've had some terror type attacks here. Pulse Nightclub comes to mind, the Marathon bombing, 9/11 obviously, etc...and, of course, we've had plenty of non terror related mass shootings. To this end, if you haven't seen the actual video footage of the Russian terrorists casually walking through the venue shooting people, you should search for the videos and watch them. They're horrific but they also paint a pretty sobering picture of how bad one of these things can be.

I have a number of friends who either carry smaller single stacks and/or who do not carry a spare mag. And I have plenty of friends who carry infrequently and/or do not carry everyday.

We haven't had too many situations with multiple assailants using rifles. But I'm actually surprised we haven't had more actual terrorist attacks like what happened in Russia and especially given how open our southern border is. I tend to think it is only a matter of time before we get something like that here.

I'm wondering if this latest attack has caused anyone to rethink their current carry choices? And if so, what changes you will be making?

I already carry a full size and a spare mag so there's not much more I can really do beyond maybe adding another mag. And at some point...like four dudes with rifles and plenty of mags...you're pretty screwed no matter what you're carrying.

Already rethought it due to lots of other factors. Went from a basic single stack .45 (because sexy) to kitting out a double stack 9 with everything (because lots of pews in a fast gun seems more sensible).

Only problem is I refuse to carry in one of those bulky kydex and polyester abominations and want something in leather, with belt snaps so I can continue my current practice of leaving the gun in the holster for all of time and only taking it out to shoot and clean. Trying to find a nice leather holster with an optic cut, some kind of optic cover, belt snaps and a light for any gun, let alone my gun, is proving to be challenging. I am about down to the point of ringing up shops and begging people to take on a 100% custom job. (any advice or pointers in that regard is appreciated)

I am also thinking about getting a belly-band/kangaroo pouch for it when concealment is more a thing I need, but I will still keep my 9mm mouse gun for when I really need deep concealment because there is not a lot better than that when "concealed means concealed" counts the most. I do have a concealment vest I use when on the trail with my 10mm, but that is for an entirely different kind of "oh shi--" situation than a pew party and I do not wear it in hot weather. For EDC carry I am looking for a more universal solution.

It is good to re-think and be adaptable.

With that said...
I would prefer to carry what I know I use well , which may be considered substandard by some ....
Rather than carry something I do not have the same confidence with .
Granted one can and should practice with whatever one carries so they are confident with it...
No matter if it is an old standby or new carry firearm.
This takes time...and practice.

And with that said....
As always....carry whatever works for you , in the situations that you find yourself in.
And remember that what works well for someone else , may not work so well for you.

In any event....
Those out to harm others do not care for what you carry or how you have practiced .
They have their own agenda , plans and ideas.
When faced against those who wish you harm , do the best you can with what you have.
Do what is needed to be done to stop the threat without any regrets.
Andy

I tend to think it is only a matter of time before we get something like that here.
Agreed.

I also suspect that American LE and other agencies have done remarkably well in preventing these sorts of attacks so far, given our profile in the world - but as you said, it's a matter of time, just as with nuke (and other WMD) proliferation.

Handguns aren't ideal defense tools in a firefight, but they are - for the most part - all most of us will have to work with if a surprise attack occurs outside of our domicile, such as what occurred in the recent attack in Russia. The preferable alternative, from a ballistic standpoint - carrying a rifle or shotgun - seems to me to be an unlikely solution (for obvious reasons), even though the high visibility of those tools might act as a deterrent in many instances.

I likely won't change my firearms carry habits: I will still carry, I will still carry a spare magazine... I *may* carry a secondary spare mag as well.

Already rethought it due to lots of other factors. Went from a basic single stack .45 (because sexy) to kitting out a double stack 9 with everything (because lots of pews in a fast gun seems more sensible).

Only problem is I refuse to carry in one of those bulky kydex and polyester abominations and want something in leather, with belt snaps so I can continue my current practice of leaving the gun in the holster for all of time and only taking it out to shoot and clean. Trying to find a nice leather holster with an optic cut, some kind of optic cover, belt snaps and a light for any gun, let alone my gun, is proving to be challenging. I am about down to the point of ringing up shops and begging people to take on a 100% custom job. (any advice or pointers in that regard is appreciated)

I am also thinking about getting a belly-band/kangaroo pouch for it when concealment is more a thing I need, but I will still keep my 9mm mouse gun for when I really need deep concealment because there is not a lot better than that when "concealed means concealed" counts the most. I do have a concealment vest I use when on the trail with my 10mm, but that is for an entirely different kind of "oh shi--" situation than a pew party and I do not wear it in hot weather. For EDC carry I am looking for a more universal solution.
I've heard really good things about Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosen holsters. Premium leather holsters (but you'll pay for 'em).

If a compact or subcompact, the Urban Carry G3 holster is pretty comfortable for appendix carry.

and Mitch Rosen holsters.
Yep, I carry my Kimber .45 in a Mitch Rosen and love the combination. :s0155: Also, depending on weather and attire, I carry in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig. My Rosen/Kimber.

thumbnail_20240211_081709.jpg

It's solidifies my opinion on micro/sub compacts and carry methods like "pocket carry."

Situational awareness.

Carry something you can fight with and extra ammo.

Carry Medical on your person daily.

The troubling thing about that event as it applies to one's concealed carry decisions is that may be irrelevant. The perpetrators chose a concert venue with metal detectors, which were likely manned by unarmed staff (or maybe "armed" with something like batons, not sure). We have many such venues/events here, too… where there are thousands gathered without so much as a knife between them.

Seems kind of odd that those rifles threw out so many sparks. Does your rifle throw out sparks like that?
Could be the lighting… if you've ever shot at dusk or in the dark, you'll often find it tends to be a lot sparkier than you'll notice in broad daylight.

I've heard really good things about Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosen holsters. Premium leather holsters (but you'll pay for 'em).

If a compact or subcompact, the Urban Carry G3 holster is pretty comfortable for appendix carry.
I love Mitch Rosen Holsters. Unfortunately they are not up for the amount of custom work my setup would require. They have one model of holster that might be able to fit my complete setup, but they do not offer that with belt snaps even on a custom order.

I will check out Milt Sparks to see if they have something that will fit.

Could be the lighting… if you've ever shot at dusk or in the dark, you'll often find it tends to be a lot sparkier than you'll notice in broad daylight.
Watch it again... Slow it down. I have shot 10's of thousands of times, and unless I was blowing out iron filings from a sparKLER, i've never seen a rifle spark like these did. It is almost as though they were shooting theater rounds. (for the movies). You know what I Mean?

The terror attack itself did not make me rethink but did validate conclusions I had already come to regarding the porosity of our southern border and some of the footage of well armed "guests" paying us a visit. It's not just Radical Islamists or drug cartels - we need to keep in mind that this is yest another volatile election year and damn near anything can happen.

Building a folding bag gun as we speak with integrated IFAK in the carry system. The Mrs. even used the bag (VERTX Commuter) as her purse as a test (no gun) while we went to dinner, movies, shopping, etc., and it didn't attract any notice.

Obviously I will avoid going anywhere I think I need to be armed and I'm a cranky old curmudgeon who avoids crowds anyway.

Watch it again... Slow it down. I have shot 10's of thousands of times, and unless I was blowing out iron filings from a sparKLER, i've never seen a rifle spark like these did. It is almost as though they were shooting theater rounds. (for the movies). You know what I Mean?
Could have been really old and crappy ammo. There is stockpile stuff out there from over half a century ago, and saying a lot of it was not stored in the "recommended manner" would be an understatement. If you get something where the powder is starting to go bad you could get results like that; incomplete and slow powder burn that sends embers out the muzzle.

A big difference in the terrorist attacks in Russia and the mass attacks in the US is on our soil the attacks are by a solo gun person or in a rare case one accomplent(?). The attacks over the decades in Russia have been large scale, well organized attacks backed by political groups and possibly governments.

In the Russia case a Glock 43 carrier may be able to thin the herd but the outlook is bad trying to take on a trained terrorist group with 9 or 10 bullets.

Mass events certainly make me rethink capacity. Then as times calm down I lean towards accuracy and limited capacity simply for convenience sake.. only to be reminded again that crazies are out there and sometimes my: 1911, revolver or little .380 with 6+1 won't cut it.. god forbid something like this comes my way.

I truly never want to or desire to be in a situation like that.. I know a lot of folks fantasize (or seem to) about a scenario like that.. I simply want to be ready for it, but I have zero desire to be in it. But being prepared is good, it helps us be ready for evil when it presents itself. Evil only wins when good folks stand down and do nothing to stop it.

Could have been really old and crappy ammo. There is stockpile stuff out there from over half a century ago, and saying a lot of it was not stored in the "recommended manner" would be an understatement. If you get something where the powder is starting to go bad you could get results like that; incomplete and slow powder burn that sends embers out the muzzle.
Maybe, but if you were going to do an event like this (pretending you are the bad guy) would you use nasty old ammo that was soso for detonation? Or would you use something that you could really rely on for maximum carnage?

Maybe, but if you were going to do an event like this (pretending you are the bad guy) would you use nasty old ammo that was soso for detonation? Or would you use something that you could really rely on for maximum carnage?
Don't knock on the ruskies for using Russian ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top