JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regardless of all that chest-beating. Prove to us that you can convert a factory new RIFLE into a PISTOL without running afoul of the NFA.
https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download
there ya go...Plain as day.. The old Thompson center guns and Ar7s are exempt..same as Hi powers and broomhandle mausers with ORIGINAL Matching stocks. I dont see any chest beating just someone that stated facts and got bulldozed by guys that play on forums all day..:rolleyes:

https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download
there ya go...Plain as day.. The old Thompson center guns and Ar7s are exempt..same as Hi powers and broomhandle mausers with ORIGINAL Matching stocks. I dont see any chest beating just someone that stated facts and got bulldozed by guys that play on forums all day..:rolleyes:
Not "plain as day" since it doesn't expressly mention the Henry AR-7, and the examples you gave involve pistols to rifles, not the other way around. Furthermore, you could easily argue that the AR-7 is not a "kit" sold with a receiver and pistol/rifle parts. It is a rifle, and transferred on a 4473 as a long gun. Period. Dot. You're welcome to submit a letter asking for clarification to the ATF tech branch. That's the only way you can get a "clear as day" answer.

Dude...you totally missed the fine print.. OLD "OLD" Meaning those sold as kits not today or yesterday but "OLD" They used to sell those as interchangeable kits. ATF has a list of guns that are short barreled rifles that are not NFA..you can use google to find it. I just pulled up the one of many documents i had handy and posted it. And ive sold close to 3k guns on 4473's im pretty sure i grasp the concept better than most..Just because its sold as a long gun does not mean it has to stay a long gun "period".

Not "plain as day" since it doesn't expressly mention the Henry AR-7, and the examples you gave involve pistols to rifles, not the other way around. Furthermore, you could easily argue that the AR-7 is not a "kit" sold with a receiver and pistol/rifle parts. It is a rifle, and transferred on a 4473 as a long gun. Period. Dot. You're welcome to submit a letter asking for clarification to the ATF tech branch. That's the only way you can get a "clear as day" answer.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

They are a misc. Firearm.
But you would know this if you were a holder of a ffl and a MFG license.
That is how they are registered by the mfg in the book's and in the end of year report with BATFE.

Same as a 1919 with a 8 " barrel.:)
Good to go with the short BBL set up as long as there is no stock.
If a Stock is attached you MUST have a 16" barrel in conjunction to be compliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup ^^ same as pistol grip shotguns you have to be 21 to purchase because they are a "other" so just because it looks like a long gun or pistol does not make it one...

The cool thing about MISC. Firearm's is that they don't fall in the 26'' length requirement of BATFE,.

Hence the conversion kit's for different barrel's length's and such for MISC. firearm's.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

They are a misc. Firearm.
But you would know this if you were a holder of a ffl and a MFG license.
That is how they are registered by the mfg in the book's and in the end of year report with BATFE.

Same as a 1919 with a 8 " barrel.:)
Good to go with the short BBL set up as long as there is no stock.
If a Stock is attached you MUST have a 16" barrel in conjunction to be compliant.
Show me ANY documentation that says a Henry AR-7 survival rifle is transferred on a 4473 as anything other than a rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I have to say is use the internet for research instead of trying to be a internet tough guy OR get a FFL. And learn the rule's from the BATFE hand book AND people that do it for a living. Instead of talking out you ArZ.
I do work for an FFL, and consult for another one. I spent a good 30 minutes looking through ATF letters and exemptions trying to support your claim, but the point is that the burden of proof lies with YOU, not with those who disbelieve the claim. The person making the claim has the obligation to present their evidence.

There is NOTHING that supports your claim that a Henry AR-7 survival rifle is sold as "other" on a 4473. You can not convert a rifle to a pistol without an approved form 1. The distraction about the T/C recivers has nothing to do with this conversation.

No more name calling.

You
I do work for an FFL, and consult for another one. I spent a good 30 minutes looking through ATF letters and exemptions trying to support your claim, but the point is that the burden of proof lies with YOU, not with those who disbelieve the claim. The person making the claim has the obligation to present their evidence.

There is NOTHING that supports your claim that a Henry AR-7 survival rifle is sold as "other" on a 4473. You can not convert a rifle to a pistol without an approved form 1. The distraction about the T/C recivers has nothing to do with this conversation.

No more name calling.
you work for a ffl?? Lol!!! Your asking questions that anyone who really works and does 4473's wouldn't have to ask

No more name calling.

Fixi'n guns and knowing the law is a heck of alot different bud.

************ It's 100% legal to own if it is from Dodson**********************
Just not in Washington State.
It's worth about $200 so all you cop caller's Chill out.

Dodson owned Su-Press-on. he invented the DIAS.
he made a bunch of them.
ATF told him to stop.
He took them too court and won. IN *** 1981 ***

So if you had a sear made before 81 it could be sold with out paper's.
ONCE installed you had to register the gun.

DIAS after 81 had to be serialized. and transferred on a form 3.

Just look up the Su-Press-on add's in Shotgun news.

Super smart guy invented all kind's of gun stuff back in the 70's and 80's.
He and Cobray are the reason that ANY part of a suppressor is a suppressor.
They used to make and sell silencer kit's that just needed assembly. Like ONLY screwing them together to assemble.

Question-1:

Is a pre-'81 DIAS considered an "other" firearm that requires a 4473 (depending on State law)?

Question-2:

So a pre-'81 DIAS is legal to own and sell w/o NFA papers (which I assume you'd have to prove provenance), but since the NFA registry for MG's has been closed since '86 you're still SOL to actually use it, yeah?

Thanks for any finer points of clarification!

Pre 81 DIAS could be purchased WITHOUT papers' they are not considered conversion devices that was the 81 ruling . Still can be if they were from Su-Press-On.
You could put it in a gun and register the gun up to 86 as a transferable.( Big $$ )

No New DIAS could be made without a serial # after 1981.

Dodson was still selling off old inventory in 2009 last time I saw him.

You have to understand he made them in batches of 5,000 originally.
So if you have one and a copy of the BOS or the paper's he sent with them. You can own it POST 1981. Just cant install it without registration ( Form 2)

Last Edited:
Pre 81 DIAS could be purchased WITHOUT papers' the are not considered conversion devices that was the 81 ruling . Still can be if they were from Su-Press-On.
You could put it in a gun and register the gun up to 86 as a transferable.( Big $$ )

No New DIAS could be made without a serial # after 1981.

Dodson was still selling off old inventory in 2009 last time I saw him.

You have to understand he made them in batches of 5,000 originally.
So if you have one and a copy of the BOS or the paper's he sent with them. You can own it POST 1981. Just cant install it without registration ( Form 2)

Which isn't possible for "civilians" since the registry is closed... yes/no?

You
you work for a ffl?? Lol!!! Your asking questions that anyone who really works and does 4473's wouldn't have to ask

I don't need to ask a damn thing because I know what's legal and what's not. I read the laws, the definitions, and the decisions. I don't rely on old-timers' "knowledge" on the laws because the laws change, and failing minds don't tend to focus on the minutiae. I know damn well that no RIFLE sold can be converted to a pistol, or "other firearm" without NFA paperwork. What's your beef?

Fixi'n guns and knowing the law is a heck of alot different bud.

Enough of this BS. You made a claim. Bring a single shred of EVIDENCE to support your claim.

Which isn't possible for "civilians" since the registry is closed... yes/no?

Registry is closed to civilian MG's. You can still own the pre 81 DIAS. Just cant use or register them as a non SOT.

There is still 43 day's the GOVT. dint use on the book's so a amnesty might be possible but i doubt it.
Last one was in '06 for DD's. only lasted 30 day's.

Dude...you totally missed the fine print.. OLD "OLD" Meaning those sold as kits not today or yesterday but "OLD" They used to sell those as interchangeable kits. ATF has a list of guns that are short barreled rifles that are not NFA..you can use google to find it. I just pulled up the one of many documents i had handy and posted it. And ive sold close to 3k guns on 4473's im pretty sure i grasp the concept better than most..Just because its sold as a long gun does not mean it has to stay a long gun "period".
Which firearms are regulated under the NFA? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
What does number 4 say in the picture, and attached link?

IMG_4934.PNG

Yes but there are pistols with 16" barrels...:rolleyes: Like i said you missed the point Just like there are rifles out there with 12" barrels..Non NFA ones.. Just because it looks like something does not make it something in the gun world. But being you know all the laws you already know this.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top