JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today I found a loaded revolver at work. I do landscape construction, I was digging a hole to plant a tree in. I haven't seen a thread on this so I thought I'd start one.

IMG_4243.jpg

Looks like a charter arms 44 spl? Makes you wonder why someone was hiding it?

I know someone who bought a pre-owned vehicle from a dealer and there turned out to be a Glock in a holster under the seat. Makes me think it could of been a repo car.

I've wondered how you check whether a firearm is stolen without implying that you know where it is and risking confiscation or further questions?

That is an interesting find! Looks like it is in pretty good shape too, I'm guessing it hasn't been buried for too long.

I would probably suggest reaching out LE if you haven't already, as they're the only ones who can check the serial number to see if it is stolen.

I turned it it to LE. Interesting find however the risks outweigh the benefits of keeping for me. I'm happy with the guns I own and know are not murder weapons and or stolen.

I know someone who bought a pre-owned vehicle from a dealer and there turned out to be a Glock in a holster under the seat. Makes me think it could of been a repo car.

I've wondered how you check whether a firearm is stolen without implying that you know where it is and risking confiscation or further questions?
I wish they had similar "lost and found" policies for firearms as everything else. Sure would make things a lot easier to justify. You found something that no one claimed? Wait X months and you can pick it back up and keep it. But noooo, firearms are special. You turn in a firearm and its "Wait X months and they will cut it up for scrap." So what if it might have been a historically significant find, off to the scrap heap it goes! Makes it really hard to justify turning anything in even if you do want to give any potential legitimate owners a shot at getting it back.

I was wading through a river years ago on a hot day and tripped in a Nylon 66. It had spent a long time in the river and was rusted really bad. Found it just downstream from a bridge. I also turned it in to the county sheriffs but thought it would be neat to keep it.

You can call the police to see if it's stolen. I've done it.

If the gun/serial was linked to a murder or crime and could help solve a case then it NEEDS to go to law enforcement ASAP. If the gun was reported as lost or stolen that would also tell you what to do.

If no one is looking for it though, I lean towards finders keepers.

I almost left a gun at the range once. I was leaving and my pocket didn't feel right so I went back, and there it was. DOH

My sister in law lost a pistol while out snowmobiling. She didn't realize it til much later. She didn't know the serial number so there was no chance of getting it back.

My sister in law lost a pistol while out snowmobiling. She didn't realize it til much later. She didn't know the serial number so there was no chance of getting it back.
This is why inventory lists are essential, even if you have just one. Copy down the make, model and serial and keep it somewhere secure (like with your other paperwork, auto titles etc.). If you collect a lot it is also prudent to take inventory on a somewhat regular basis just to validate.

Where there any empty chambers, spent shells?

If the chambers were full I would bet on someone not allowed to have a firearm had a firearm that they needed to stash quickly.

If there is an empty chamber I would report it to the cops. "I" would rather a crook be brought to justice than have a free firearm that may have been used in a crime.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads