JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of my high school acquaintances lived along an arterial road. Actually, his back yard faced this road. One time, he went out back and found a little Walther Model 9 laying in the grass. It seemed that someone had thrown it out of a vehicle that was driving along the road. He turned it in to the local PD, and several months later, they gave it back as unclaimed. This was around 1967, I don't think this same dept. gives back guns now.

I also do have a minuscule experience with a found gun, maybe. In the 90's in Vancouver (I would've been elementary school aged) I was playing outside with a friend and another friend found us and told us someone found a gun. This wasn't a nice part of Vancouver (although I'm not sure there were any nice parts of Vancouver at the time!) Friend #2 led us over to car that was parked on a nearby street and bunch of neighborhood kids were gathered around. There was a pistol under said car (not sure how anyone would've noticed it, but they did). It looked to be something like a 1911 or at least the size of one, if memory serves. The group of us debated whether it was real or just a BB gun (it definitely didn't appear to be a toy). In any case, even at that age we knew not to touch it and to have someone call the cops. They showed up, shooed us all away and of course none of us ever found out anything more.

I know 2 people that found weapons, one was an AR15 buried in a plastic pipe at this ranch where he worked, and another was a friend that did scrap metal, and he found a 9mm pistol in a car he was scrapping. Both were in excellent condition.

The ranch's previous owner was a Vietnam vet, and we figured he's the one who buried the AR15. The 9mm was hidden in the headliner, and I'm surprised he found it.

For an even less exciting "found weapons" story than my last one, still while growing up in the Couve, there was a was a forested area not far from where I lived where a friend and I found an extremely crude plywood shack built by homeless people. There was a brick of .22 lr in it (I distinctly remember the Remington green box)… and also some nudie magazines.

Whilst we were distributing these treasures between ourselves the homeless people came back and chased us away. We were able to escape but had to run to the opposite side of the forested area from our neighborhood. The other side was was closed off with a chain link fence with plenty of gaps in it. On the other side was a strip mall and we took refuge in a Vietnamese grocery store, figuring (apparently correctly) that they wouldn't follow us inside. We wandered about the store till we felt like the homeless people wouldn't be out there still waiting for us; we also bought some of that weird candy that looks like Dremel cutoff disks with some pocket money.

Of course we had to take the long way home to avoid the forest. I'd somehow forgotten about the ammunition in my pockets and got quite the talking to from my mom on laundry day. I would've been in much worse trouble if I'd been the one that ended up with the nudie mags, though.

I'd like to hear it if you'd care to share. I like those kinds of stories.
My bum cousin (who had disrespected and taken advantage of his grandfather) walked off with it "for safe keeping". This was suspected by some, but nobody ever expected to see it again. All in all maybe for the best, considering there was some dementia involved. After he passed, said cousin brought the gun and gave it to me, said it was supposed to go to me. I was never told that but apparently he had been at some point, by someone. I never heard. It's a nice old Colt commercial Govt Model that he bought after the war. It will go to one of my kids someday.

Friend of mine was contacted by our local Sheriffs dept a couple months ago. A Ruger revolver he had bought new and given to a girlfriend about 40 years ago had been recovered in a clothing donation bid in Sedro Woelley. They ran the numbers and it came back to him hence they contacted him and said he could come down and claim it from SW PD. Did a background check and he has it now! He figured it would be trashed. It turned out to be in great shape but was missing the convertible cylinder. Good story in today's world. Probably would have been a different story if it had been an AR.

Friend of mine was contacted by our local Sheriffs dept a couple months ago. A Ruger revolver he had bought new and given to a girlfriend about 40 years ago had been recovered in a clothing donation bid in Sedro Woelley. They ran the numbers and it came back to him hence they contacted him and said he could come down and claim it from SW PD. Did a background check and he has it now! He figured it would be trashed. It turned out to be in great shape but was missing the convertible cylinder. Good story in today's world. Probably would have been a different story if it had been an AR.
I love a happy ending.

My bum cousin (who had disrespected and taken advantage of his grandfather) walked off with it "for safe keeping". This was suspected by some, but nobody ever expected to see it again. All in all maybe for the best, considering there was some dementia involved. After he passed, said cousin brought the gun and gave it to me, said it was supposed to go to me. I was never told that but apparently he had been at some point, by someone. I never heard. It's a nice old Colt commercial Govt Model that he bought after the war. It will go to one of my kids someday.
All's well that ends well.

About ten years ago, I knew a guy who'd grown up in New England. His dad had been in Europe as a soldier in WW2. Who had brought back a German Luger. My acquaintance didn't know anything about what kind of Luger it had been; as a child that wasn't a matter of consequence but he did remember that it had a crown on top of it somewhere. Which makes me think it might've been a WW1 Erfurt piece. Anyway, the reason it came up for discussion was because he was telling me the story about how he almost shot his little brother with it. Playing with guns, he didn't know it was loaded and it went off. It missed his brother by not much, I guess. But the end of the story was, one time there was family over for a holiday or whatever, the gun was never seen again thereafter. I had been stored in a bureau drawer.

Years ago, people weren't as conscious about keeping guns locked up. They didn't write down serial numbers. Oftentimes, guns were looked upon simply as tools. After all, you bought them at the hardware store on a handwritten receipt.

I would bet money that gun was involved in a crime, and not just stealing the gun itself. There is no reason you would steal something just to bury it and there is no reason you would bury a gun directly into the dirt if you ever wanted to recaim it again. Spooky. What type of location did you find it? Hopefully the cops put some time into figuring it out. It would be cool to know what comes of it but probably unlikely.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top