JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was going through a batch of 9mm Luger military brass that have been gathered here and there. I was decapping them, getting ready to swage the primer pockets. Had one that just wouldn't cooperate.
I pulled it out to inspect. I supposed a bedan primer had got past the inspection process. .. but look at what I found. I have seen a few strange things but never something like this. I tried to call Fox Mulder from X-Files thinking it was an Alien Raygun load but he didn't answer so I am throwing it to this large group of experience re loaders.

9mm-Luger-B.jpg 9mm-Luger-C.jpg 9mm-Luger-A.jpg

Last Edited:
I think I see a flash hole at the end of this stem. The stem is close to the length of the cartridge so seating a bullet would not be typical. Can only image a very hollow-based projectile. The head stamp is WMA which my reference says is Winchester. The year is 2018.

Last Edited:
I thought so too but its much thinner than any decapping pin I have seen and it appears to be lacquered into the base. But it's a good thought.

I've never seen or heard of any experimentation with 9mm, but it resembles a flash tube some mfg's were experimenting with for frontal/mid ignition and/or duplex powder loads.

From what I remember though it was mainly tested with 30-06 rounds. Or at least that's all I remember hearing about.

The concept isn't new and is used in some of the large military shells... like tank/artillery shells. The most common were mid ignition and many had small holes drilled along it's length. There are advantages to fontal ignition and there was a period when several mfg's were experimenting with them for small arm military use.

On the other hand... it may just be some broken pin from somewhere along the mfg'ing process that got stuck in the primer and/or sealant. Like a support pin from one of the washing/drying/spray/etc processes. A complete fluke.

Yes, I am aware of what you talked about. Thank you for the explanation. Like you said, I've never seen that on something as small as a 9mm. The tube is not loose and appears to be laminated to the base, lending to the ignition thought. I will place it into my oddities box for future conversations.
Thanks for answering.

I was going through a batch of 9mm Luger military brass that have been gathered here and there. I was decapping them, getting ready to swage the primer pockets. Had one that just wouldn't cooperate.
I pulled it out to inspect. I supposed a bedan primer had got past the inspection process. .. but look at what I found. I have seen a few strange things but never something like this. I tried to call Fox Mulder from X-Files thinking it was an Alien Raygun load but he didn't answer so I am throwing it to this large group of experience re loaders.

View attachment 1809434 View attachment 1809435 View attachment 1809436
That's called primerus erectus. :s0070: Maybe it was a 9mm secretly trying to be a pinfire round?

I asked ChatGPT about it. It told me that "primer extension tube are generally used in fixed armaments (meaning like a typical cartridge rather than ammunition where the powder charge is a separate item in the breech). I.E. such as 105mm tank rounds. Any use in small arms would be proprietary info". LOL.

It suggested that SIG is the developer in association with Winchester.
M1153 and M1154 9mm ammunition.

Who knows? Not sure how much you can rely on what it says.

Thank to those who have read and answered.

Last Edited:
There's something else strange about the inside. Looks shallower than normal.

WMA = Winchester Military Arms. And a NATO symbol. Some sort of specialized training round.
Winchester sells 9mm NATO. Midway carries it.

Sig makes their own brass. Of course, that doesn't stop them from using Winchester brass. I think Sig's M17 9mm ammo has "+p" and "SIG" in the headstamp. I think that's where my Sig +p brass came from.

Maybe one of those polishing pins got stuck in the flash hole. I mean, if there's a hole, a pin is gonna to find it. Specially if there's hair around the hole.

It looks like a metal rod. Mystery solved.

Besides my SA answer, why would anyone tried to fire the round? If found on the range and missing the projectile, how did it fire if the flash hole was plugged?

Don't know how these work, but maybe:

9mm-percussion-ignition-blasting.jpg

NSD WORKS consists of a special non-electric detonator with a cumulative recess fitted with a 9 x 19 PARA case (or optionally .45 ACP) detonating tube. Produced in variants: 10, 15, 30, 50, and 100 meters with 1, 2 or 3 detonators connected by a special connector.

Bruce

Perhaps a tracer round, the phosphorus in the base of the bullet would need to be reliably ignited…

Just a wild guess…
Your explanation certainly make the most logical sense. Being a tracer needing the ignition, the shallowness of what the seating could be, it all adds up.

Don't know how these work, but maybe:

View attachment 1809649

NSD WORKS consists of a special non-electric detonator with a cumulative recess fitted with a 9 x 19 PARA case (or optionally .45 ACP) detonating tube. Produced in variants: 10, 15, 30, 50, and 100 meters with 1, 2 or 3 detonators connected by a special connector.

Bruce
I bet that's it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews