JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's what's always scared me about a "jury of my peers". You mean... trust your fate to the only folks that weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty?? Or... the type of personalities that willingly desire to have power over other peoples lives or... have an agenda??

To be fair, I can kind of see how an otherwise decent person might get railroaded into it. I once got a bit nervous when it got down to the last 30 people and the attorneys Q&A phase. All I can imagine is I somehow fit some demographic profile they were looking for and got kept around longer than usual, but all it took was raising my hand once and giving a "creative" answer that seemed to salvage the remainder of my day. 🤣
I was put on a jury and made it through the entire selection process. The defendant was a black guy and I happened to have a freshly shaven head and a camo sweatshirt so when they asked me to tell them about myself it was all about driving trucks and shooting guns. Figured the defense would kick me right off for fear of being a kkk member. My plan did not work and I had to sit through the whole trial which amounted to a cheating wife tripping and skinning her knee. Made a whole $20 or so that week.

I was put on a jury and made it through the entire selection process. The defendant was a black guy and I happened to have a freshly shaven head and a camo sweatshirt so when they asked me to tell them about myself it was all about driving trucks and shooting guns. Figured the defense would kick me right off for fear of being a kkk member. My plan did not work and I had to sit through the whole trial which amounted to a cheating wife tripping and skinning her knee. Made a whole $20 or so that week.
That's the thing, for me. I understand civic duty but our society is so litigious that jury trials for civil and personal injury matters make up something like 98% of all jury trials with no widespread or societal impact.
Taking days out of your life to determine if Mr. Jones tree does in fact illegally extend over his neighbors property line seems a bit much to ask of your fellow citizens.
There's always going to be folks with nothing better to do or are otherwise interested in having that type of experience.... so.... more power to em! Don't let "me" stand in your way. 🤣

That's the thing, for me. I understand civic duty but our society is so litigious that jury trials for civil and personal injury matters make up something like 98% of all jury trials with no widespread or societal impact.
Taking days out of your life to determine if Mr. Jones tree does in fact illegally extend over his neighbors property line seems a bit much to ask of your fellow citizens.
There's always going to be folks with nothing better to do or are otherwise interested in having that type of experience.... so.... more power to em! Don't let "me" stand in your way. 🤣
I hadn't thought about it now, that makes it even more crazy with my personal experience. I've been on the county grand jury once, so that's a pile of criminal cases. Then I've been called up 3 times for federal. Once when going to OSU I got called to Eugene, and twice since where I got called to Portland. In all three I sat through voir dire and all three were criminal cases. In one, I was seated on the jury but they plead out before opening statements. In the other two they filled the alternates before me.

Not many people get called that many times, and for me to have had all of them criminal is even rarer.

Not many people get called that many times, and for me to have had all of them criminal is even rarer.
I think there are a good number of criminal cases where a jury is assembled, but statistically... only about 2% of criminal cases actually go to a jury trial. That could very well mean that it's most common for a jury to be assembled, but not actually serve since pleadings and such typically occur prior to or shortly into a trial.

Maybe the "numbers" should be not how many jury's are selected but how many actually proceed through a trial(?) I was just going off what I had been told by a friend who teaches law at Willamette Univ, but it wasn't an all encompassing conversation.

From my own experience, the jury duty that sucks the most and incredibly difficult to avoid is grand jury duty. Not many are called so the odds are great you're gonna do the time and you can't count on the case pleading out early and not having to actually serve. You're on the hook for a predetermined period of likely 3 days, a week or even two. More interesting, but long days and once they got ya... you're cooked! ;)

I think there are a good number of criminal cases where a jury is assembled, but statistically... only about 2% of criminal cases actually go to a jury trial. That could very well mean that it's most common for a jury to be assembled, but not actually serve since pleadings and such typically occur prior to or shortly into a trial.

Maybe the "numbers" should be not how many jury's are selected but how many actually proceed through a trial(?) I was just going off what I had been told by a friend who teaches law at Willamette Univ, but it wasn't an all encompassing conversation.

From my own experience, the jury duty that sucks the most and incredibly difficult to avoid is grand jury duty. Not many are called so the odds are great you're gonna do the time and you can't count on the case pleading out early and not having to actually serve. You're on the hook for a predetermined period of likely 3 days, a week or even two. More interesting, but long days and once they got ya... you're cooked! ;)
For me grand jury was one day a week for 6 weeks. The days ran from 6 to 9 hours each time.

No doubt they will fight but, how long and how much will it end up costing even if they are able to win. Hopefully others will learn from their lesson. Poking that bear is a dangerous little game to play :s0092:
Unfortunately the bear will never get the spanking they deserve. I don't know why the courts don't do what they are supposed to. What is the backlash for the judges? Especially in light of all the shenanigans going on.

Unfortunately the bear will never get the spanking they deserve. I don't know why the courts don't do what they are supposed to. What is the backlash for the judges? Especially in light of all the shenanigans going on.
Sadly from the way "it looks" is MANY black robes are happy to shaft people who they do not like. That sadly is of course not how its supposed to work but, sadly its what we have to work with. The last many years black robes are all too often not even trying to hide that they are making laws they think should be instead of what they say. Power does corrupt. :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top