JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so I ordered it. I was notified when it got to the store (Sportsman, UGH). So I went in to get it.

Instant approval, happiness. And then the counter guy said, "One more thing here." He said

I had to complete a "STRAW SURVEY". He read of the names of 9 people all with my last

name and Oregon residents. I gave it the old WTF and he said these were people who had

recently been denied to buy a gun and the survey wanted to know if they were relatives.

None were. I took the gun and left. About a week later at Northwest Armory I bought

another pistol ( The new S&W 22 WMR). Instant approval and no straw survey. Have

any of you recently encountered this?

Last Edited:
Unless I'm getting a discount or getting paid for my time Id figure the BGC paperwork is all I need to do and refuse, I would not entertain a straw survey. It wastes my time as a customer and would have infuriated me.

Unless I'm getting a discount or getting paid for my time Id figure the BGC paperwork is all I need to do and refuse, I would not entertain a straw survey. It wastes my time as a customer and would have infuriated me.
I agree. Yet it caught me off guard. And that's the reason I put

the question out here. And the fact that no others have replied

causes me to wonder. I assure you and myself it'll never happen

to me again.

I agree. Yet it caught me off guard. And that's the reason I put

the question out here. And the fact that no others have replied

causes me to wonder. I assure you and myself it'll never happen

to me again.
It's interesting because Sportsman's Warehouse was/is home based in the smallish, conservative, semi rural community I grew up in. Midvale Utah. Should of seen their flagship store back then. It reminded me of the war surplus stores around the area when I was growing up. Seems strange that they are jumping on the liberal gun wagon of our area now? It's a shame. But then The Salt Lake Valley is turning more dim, like most big cities.

Last Edited:
so I ordered it. I was notified when it got to the store (Sportsman, UGH). So I went in to get it.

Instant approval, happiness. And then the counter guy said, "One more thing here." He said

I had to complete a "STRAW SURVEY". He read of the names of 9 people all with my last

name and Oregon residents. I gave it the old WTF and he said these were people who had

recently been denied to buy a gun and the survey wanted to know if they were relatives.

None were. I took the gun and left. About a week later at Northwest Armory I bought

another pistol ( The new S&W 22 WMR). Instant approval and no straw survey. Have

any of you recently encountered this?
No but

where did you
get

your keyboard?

I'd be inclined to ask why those individuals were denied. If due to felony records, how many of them were prosecuted for attempting to illegally purchase a firearm? I'll wager NONE!
I'm not sure I agree with excluding ALL felons from firearm ownership, but that's a different topic. For now, it seems, our "public servants" are far more concerned with ignoring existing gun laws, while focusing on denying the rest of us our 2A rights.

Never experienced such.

Never heard of such.

Edit adding: Sportsman's is weird though. Do recall them calling me back in to correct the spelling of Massachusetts on the 4473, because I misspelled it.

Did so, dunno why, I all ready had the rifle…

I was talking to a Sportsmans guy one time and straw purchase came up because we were talking about all the stupid questions on the form (wasn't the only thing we talked about). He was saying straw attempts are fairly common, more common ant the big stores, and often easy to sniff out. Was he telling the truth? IDK. He wasn't accusing me and had no motive to lie. But I didn't know they had a Straw purchase survey.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top