JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are 2 key 'tells' that help me identify scammers on places like Armslist:

1. The price is below what the market would normally bear
2. They almost always use photos off the internet because they don't really have the item

Additional ones on this thread:

3. "No need to register" - just doing a quick internet search on these items, that sounds like complete B.S.
4. Money Orders for payment - never, never, never

So, here is my quickie way to test a listing for a scam, and it's what I did on this one - I use Chrome to do this, not sure if other browsers will do it:

Right click on one of the photos in the listing and select "Search Google for this image". It's amazing how often scammers just grab photos from random listings and use them for their listing. I found this happening all over when I was looking for used M1A's a while back. Anyway, on the listing above, I didn't find the photo of the sear itself, but the photo of the papers he posted - I found that on listings on 4 different sites - and each of those sites said that a $200 tax stamp was required for this item.

So yeah, I'd stay far, far away from a listing like this, even if I had the $$ and the desire - I have neither ;)

My gut feeling is that it is a fishing expedition. What gets my goat is that it seems OK for law enforcement to break the law to enforce the law. Go figure. I for one would not touch any of that stuff with a 10 foot pole. It is one of those lose lose situations.

OK kiddies, here's the current deal on MG's

No machinegun manufactured post '86 is (currently) legal for "civilian" ownership (BTW- I'm a citizen, not a civilian ;)) unless you have the proper FFL/SOL to posses "post-dealer samples".

The NFA machinegun registry was closed (in '86) to any further new registration entries for civilians (again, I'm a citizen, not a civilian ;)), so even if you found an awesome fully functional specimen like a Maxim, a Tommy-gun, Sturmgewehr, Sten, or Sterling (all produced before '86) in "uncle Tio's" attic or basement, you're (legally) SOL because the registry is (currently) closed.

Any auto-sear for a firearm is considered a machinegun, possessing the collective unassembled parts of an auto-sear is considered having a machinegun under "intent" rulings, a receiver manufactured or modified to be capable of readily accepting an auto-sear like an AR lower with drilled holes above the selector switch, a "tube gun" (Sten, Sterling) or a BMG style (M2, 1919, M249, etc) without "denial islands" welded in the receiver to prevent the "drop-in" use of a full-auto bolt is a machinegun.

All pre-'86 NFA registered "machine guns" are (currently) eligible for transfer, but if it wasn't registered BEFORE the '86 NFA registry closure it isn't legal.

Class dismissed. ;)

Last Edited:
Has anybody firgured out the difference between a sear made before 1981 vs. the later?

************ It's 100% legal to own if it is from Dodson**********************
Just not in Washington State.
It's worth about $200 so all you cop caller's Chill out.

Dodson owned Su-Press-on. he invented the DIAS.
he made a bunch of them.
ATF told him to stop.
He took them too court and won. IN *** 1981 ***

So if you had a sear made before 81 it could be sold with out paper's.
ONCE installed you had to register the gun.

DIAS after 81 had to be serialized. and transferred on a form 3.

Just look up the Su-Press-on add's in Shotgun news.

Super smart guy invented all kind's of gun stuff back in the 70's and 80's.
He and Cobray are the reason that ANY part of a suppressor is a suppressor.
They used to make and sell silencer kit's that just needed assembly. Like ONLY screwing them together to assemble.

tell him you have some genuine left handed screw drivers, a 6 legged hairless chupacabra, a week long stay at your ocean front house in colorado and a set of muffler bearings you'll trade him straight up

UGh You guy's kill me.
The AR7 is one of the gun's you can put a pistol or Rifle barrel on.
Either way it is not breaking the NFA rules.

It is statements like this that are infamous for getting people in trouble. I don't know if you are just trolling or if you really "think" you are on to something. Anyone who follows this kind of advice will find themselves standing in front of a Fed Judge. Telling the Judge that "some guy on the net told me this was fine" will get you no sympathy.

Well Who The FRU, please back up both statements with some facts and links
He's either trolling or just one of those guys who will argue just to argue no matter what. There is a slim chance he may really believe what he said about those old pistols they used to make. Back in the day they were making them they of course made them so the pistol barrel would not fit on the rifle for just this reason. It was dead simple to fix them so they would. Of course doing so was begging to end up in prison.

It is statements like this that are infamous for getting people in trouble. I don't know if you are just trolling or if you really "think" you are on to something. Anyone who follows this kind of advice will find themselves standing in front of a Fed Judge. Telling the Judge that "some guy on the net told me this was fine" will get you no sympathy.

Actually I know Mr.Dodson and knew him before his stroke. I have been Building firearms as a full time job for 16 year's. Machinegun's for 15 of that time.
As a MFG you always want to learn the good and the bad from the old timer's so you don't end up in a hole.
I'm not trolling I'm just letting you know what I know. If i'm flying the seat of my pant's somehow the BATFE Hasn't arrested me in those 16 year's during any of my many NFA audit's. So I'm not talking out my arZ.
Building NFA firearm's and knowledge of the NFA law's are how I make my living and stay on the correct side of the law.

BTW: Alexx1401
I'm the tard that came up with the Glock Sear's And you didn't listen or understand what my wife was trying to explain to you about them those many years ago.
jnc-manufacturing

If I post something it's not speculation it's from knowledge of the law and personal experience.

But i'm sure you read some stuff on the net and now you are an expert.;)

Last Edited:
Actually I know Mr.Dodson and knew him before his stroke. I have been Building firearms as a full time job for 16 year's. Machinegun's for 15 of that time.
As a MFG you always want to learn the good and the bad from the old timer's so you don't end up in a hole.
I'm not trolling I'm just letting you know what I know. If i'm flying the seat of my pant's somehow the BATFE Hasn't arrested me in those 16 year's during any of my many NFA audit's. So I'm not talking out my arZ.
Building NFA firearm's and knowledge of the NFA law's are how I make my living and stay on the correct side of the law.

BTW:
I'm the tard that came up with the Glock Sear's.
jnc-manufacturing

If I post something it's not speculation it's from knowledge of the law and personal experience.

But i'm sure you read some stuff on the net and now you are an expert.;)
Regardless of all that chest-beating. Prove to us that you can convert a factory new RIFLE into a PISTOL without running afoul of the NFA.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top