JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I'm assuming that when one is cited or arrested, there is a section for their violation. What exactly would they be violating? ORS166.250? If so, a CHL holder is specifically exempt.
The argument is the exemption is only for handguns for CHL holders.. but like I question... none of the other sections actually say out loud what "concealed carry of firearms" are specifically exempted for each exception as laid out...

The only reconciliation I can see is basically... that these exceptions means any concealed firearms as defined in ORS 166.250 for these listed exceptions including that of concealed handgun license holders.

The argument is the exemption is only for handguns for CHL holders.. but like I question... none of the other sections actually say out loud what "concealed carry of firearms" are exempted for each exception as laid out...

The only reconciliation I can see is basically... that these exceptions means any concealed firearms as defined in ORS 166.250 for these listed exceptions including that of concealed handgun license holders.
It still is explicit in the writing. If you hold a CHL, you can't violate 166.250, as you are specifically exempt in 166.260.

It still is explicit in the writing. If you hold a CHL, you can't violate 166.250, as you are specifically exempt in 166.260.
The argument again seems to be that if it says "licensed to conceal carry a handgun", the exception is that the CHL holder cannot be cited for concealed carry of a handgun :rolleyes:

However your point, and mine too... is that since none of the other exceptions explicitly states what may be concealed carried by these exceptions is allowed.. it means any firearms and that goes also for CHL holders.

The argument again seems to be that if it says "licensed to conceal carry a handgun", the exception is that the CHL holder cannot be cited for concealed carry of a handgun :rolleyes:

However your point, and mine too... is that since none of the other exceptions explicitly states what may be concealed carried by these exceptions is allowed.. it means any firearms and that goes also for CHL holders.
Unless there's another statue that you can be charged with, how can one be charged?

Also, unless I use it to defend myself, any heavy-handed LEO (present company explicitly included) will be none the wiser....

Unless there's another statue that you can be charged with, how can one be charged?

Also, unless I use it to defend myself, any heavy-handed LEO (present company explicitly included) will be none the wiser....
Your guesses as good as mine :D like I said, not a lawyer. Be interesting to see if LEOs actually have cited the exempted people for violating ORS 166.250

You know... since ORS 166.250 explicitly says that openly carry in a belt holster isn't concealed for the purposes of of ORS 166.250; it can be argued, and if a LEO decides to be a jerk... a slung rifle /SBR/shotgun/anything else could be considered "concealed carry" :rolleyes: so... maybe I ought to be a jerk also and make some silly "belt holster" cuff for rifle stocks? :s0140:

Edit it also would handily cover the specific exceptions if indeed slung rifles are considered concealed on the person for ORS 166.250 since all these exceptions have obviously been seen openly carrying rifles and shotguns and so forth...

I'm assuming that when one is cited or arrested, there is a section for their violation. What exactly would they be violating? ORS166.250? If so, a CHL holder is specifically exempt.
Which would mean they were exempt from everything, including the mental health restriction.

Does that seem likely?

Cite it. So far we just have your feelings and zero ORS references besides definitions.
ORS 166.260 does say that only 166.250 does not affect or apply to the listed exceptions. ORS 166.250 does seem also.say this
"

(1)

Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260 (Persons not affected by ORS 166.250), 166.270 (Possession of weapons by certain felons), 166.273 (Relief from firearm prohibitions related to mental health), 166.274 (Relief from prohibition against possessing or receiving firearm), 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license), 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) or 166.410 (Manufacture, importation or sale of firearms) to 166.470 (Limitations and conditions for sales of firearms), a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:"

But.. looking up the relevant ORS listed..

None of them seem to say that someone adjudicated to be mentally ill is exempt from being charged with ORS 166.250?

Cite it. So far we just have your feelings and zero ORS references besides definitions.

(1)

Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260 (Persons not affected by ORS 166.250), 166.270 (Possession of weapons by certain felons), 166.273 (Relief from firearm prohibitions related to mental health), 166.274 (Relief from prohibition against possessing or receiving firearm), 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license), 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) or 166.410 (Manufacture, importation or sale of firearms) to 166.470 (Limitations and conditions for sales of firearms), a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a)

Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

(b)

Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or

(c)

Possesses a firearm and:

(A)

Is under 18 years of age;

(B)

Intentionally left blank —Ed.

(i)

While a minor, was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470 (Limitations and conditions for sales of firearms); and

(ii)

Was discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court within four years prior to being charged under this section;

(C)

Has been convicted of a felony;

(D)

Was committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness);

(E)

Was found to be a person with mental illness and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness) that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness;

(F)

Is presently subject to an order under ORS 426.133 (Assisted outpatient treatment) prohibiting the person from purchasing or possessing a firearm;

(G)

Has been found guilty except for insanity under ORS 161.295 (Effect of qualifying mental disorder) of a felony; or

(H)

The possession of the firearm by the person is prohibited under ORS 166.255 (Possession of firearm or ammunition by certain persons prohibited).

That's everything that falls under 161.250. If a CHL is a blanket excempton, then it would apply to all of these, like being a felon?

(1)

Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260 (Persons not affected by ORS 166.250), 166.270 (Possession of weapons by certain felons), 166.273 (Relief from firearm prohibitions related to mental health), 166.274 (Relief from prohibition against possessing or receiving firearm), 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license), 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) or 166.410 (Manufacture, importation or sale of firearms) to 166.470 (Limitations and conditions for sales of firearms), a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a)

Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

(b)

Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or

(c)

Possesses a firearm and:

(A)

Is under 18 years of age;

(B)

Intentionally left blank —Ed.

(i)

While a minor, was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470 (Limitations and conditions for sales of firearms); and

(ii)

Was discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court within four years prior to being charged under this section;

(C)

Has been convicted of a felony;

(D)

Was committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness);

(E)

Was found to be a person with mental illness and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness) that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness;

(F)

Is presently subject to an order under ORS 426.133 (Assisted outpatient treatment) prohibiting the person from purchasing or possessing a firearm;

(G)

Has been found guilty except for insanity under ORS 161.295 (Effect of qualifying mental disorder) of a felony; or

(H)

The possession of the firearm by the person is prohibited under ORS 166.255 (Possession of firearm or ammunition by certain persons prohibited).

That's everything that falls under 161.250. If a CHL is a blanket excempton, then it would apply to all of these, like being a felon?
I'm pretty sure felons aren't allowed to own a gun, let alone receive a CHL, what else have you got?

Ooh. What's the requirement to get a CHL...?

Hey..
"(g)Has never been convicted of a felony or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295 (Effect of qualifying mental disorder), of a felony;
(h)Has not been convicted of a misdemeanor or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295 (Effect of qualifying mental disorder), of a misdemeanor within the four years prior to the application, including a misdemeanor conviction for the possession of marijuana as described in paragraph (L) of this subsection;
(i)Has not been committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness);
(j)Has not been found to be a person with mental illness and is not subject to an order under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness) that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness;"

Hey. @PNW Scout What does this mean..

A peace officer may not arrest or charge a person for violating ORS 166.250 (Unlawful possession of firearms) (1)(a) or (b) or 166.370 (Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility) (1)(a) if the person has in the person's immediate possession:

(1)A valid license to carry a firearm as provided in ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing), unless the person possesses a firearm within the Capitol, within the passenger terminal of a commercial service airport with over one million passenger boardings per year or on school grounds subject to a policy described in ORS 166.377 (Possession of firearms in certain public buildings by concealed handgun licensees);

(2)Proof that the person is a law enforcement officer; or

(3)Proof that the person is an honorably retired law enforcement officer, unless the person has been convicted of an offense that would make the person ineligible to obtain a concealed handgun license under ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing). [1999 c.1040 §5; 2015 c.709 §3; 2021 c.146 §11]

Can you get a CHL as a felon?
Nope, unless you've applied for relief from prohibitions like in

Does a felony cause a CHL to be revoked or voided?

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top