JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I let my permit lapse thinking I didn't want to be "outed" with all the privacy breaches and garbage intrusions into our privacy. Although I rarely go out in public these days it's awkward trying to open carry and keep a low profile. Also going into Winter I'm not sure if wearing a coat counts as "concealed". I'm on a few more political type boards and I'm concerned some of my posts could bite me in the bubblegum one way or another. I don't post stupid stuff, but I've certainly posted a lot of patriot type things. I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and just renewing my permit but I have concerns.
I'd appreciate any input you guys could give me.

Personally-

Renew the permit.

Don't post online if your that concerned about it.

If the gun is covered by a jacket than it just went from open carry to concealed carry.

Depending on where you live or travel (city/county) you can't open carry a loaded firearm unless you have a CHL any way.

If I have the option I will never open carry.

Thanks Marine. It's a tricky line to walk so I'll probably just renew it and be done with it but I wanted to see what some of you guys think first.

I'm thinking I would always want to be up to date and not let something like that lapse. With the patchwork laws and restrictions now approved by HB2005, it will be impossible to tell if you're legal or not. The CHL at least shows that you are vetted and doing everything possible to be a law abiding citizen if you accidentally step across the line.

For anyone thinking about getting their CHL now, the two courses offered by Oregon State Sheriff's Association for CHL and purchase permit are similar. The purchase permit course includes the current M114 language about current laws and suicide prevention. I believe SB348 had language saying the CHL classroom course will be sufficient for PP if it includes the updated information IAW M114. A big HOWEVER, we don't know what requirements will be in the coming weeks and months.

Last Edited:
I don't know of any current attempts to disclose CHLs holders. Years ago there have been attempts from the Democrats but Sheriffs refused to comply and the issue was let go.

If your passed experience doesn't show it to be an issue, you're probably hanging around the right crowd. It shouldn't be an issue in the future.

I don't think letting it expire cause any more issues than just renewing it. The future is so unpredictable, I just keep it all current.

Yeah, that seems like the best bet. I'll get the form downloaded, get started and get it over with.

Open carry is surely a means of outing yourself. Which in my opinion is a physical risk rather than an administrative one. It's really better if people don't know.

If you've had a concealed carry permit before, likely you are already on any "lists." In that sense, naught to be lost by renewal.

Yup. So I just downloaded the forms and filled them out. I'll call the Sheriffs office on Monday and find out what days they accept applications. With all the cutbacks they had reduced to only two days a week. When I first moved here they would make appointments but those days are long gone.

I thank you all for your input, excellent as usual. Since this has now become a non issue I'm going to ask a mod to close the thread and not waste anyones time. Gracias Dudes.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top