JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Although I'm an Oregon resident, I've also had a Washington "Concealed Pistol License" for a long time. You may already know what I'm about to suggest, but I wasn't sure if you did based on the original post. If this is something you knew already, then my apologies.

Anyway ...

So, if my wife is driving the car and a cop pulls her over then will that not cause confusion as she will not have a ccp?
If you're wife is driving the car without you in the car, and the weapon is concealed in the car where the driver can access the weapon (e.g. an unlocked glove box or center console), then your wife is in possession of an illegally concealed firearm IF she doesn't have her own WA "Concealed Pistol License".

My suggestion is do not leave the firearm in the car, whether it's locked in a glove box/counsole, or not. Keep it on your person.

Cheers.

My GF has her permit so that if I have to leave my pistol in her car (to go into the Spokane Eye Clinic where guns are prohibited for example) or under the seat it can be left loaded. Of course no one is going to be able to use x-ray eyes to see the loaded pistola under the seat but it is a pretty good precaution if you ask me in case things go wrong while I am having my eyeballs checked. I am not in the habit of leaving it in a car and forgetting about it but some are. My understanding of Washington Law is that if it is loaded in the car, somebody needs the valid CPL. No muss no fuss, $60 bucks of good insurance.

Echoing this, a huge amount of self defense is mindset and philosophy. This has to be integrated into your psyche so it runs as a core part of your decision making process. e.g. when a situation first starts warming up you instinctively look for deescalations and exits, not confrontations. There is also a fair bit of humility that you have to integrate, as in "I may be right, but is it worth having that argument if it is just going to tick off this guy enough for him to start an altercation?". Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and walk away because you know any other course of action runs the risk of entangling you in a far worse situation. It is worth reevaluating your ideas on when it is worth getting into an argument and when it is not, and actually thinking about it now, not waiting for some situation and trying to figure it out on the fly. 99% of proper self defense happens before you ever reach for a firearm.
+1 to both @User 1234 and @lucusloc - very good advice. I would add it is worthwhile to read up on self defense law so you better understand the legal standards you need to meet to have a legitimate self defense claim. Reading Andrew Branca's book Law of Self Defense or taking a class would be strongly advised.

Last Edited:
Moot any way (if tied to plate or not tied to plate).

OR & WA have no legality to inform an officer if pulled over for a routine traffic stop.

Some States you do…
Yep, this ☝. There is no 'duty to inform' in WA. Unless specifically asked.

Get a dresser with some huge empty drawers, label them "holsters that didn't work well for me."
Yep, this ☝. Be prepared to spend 2x on holsters compared to what you actually paid for your carry weapon. Then do that for every carry weapon you have.

I would add it is worthwhile to read up on self defense law so you better understand the legal standards you need to meet to have a legitimate self defense claim.
Yep, this ☝. First and foremost legal standard is to not be a straight white male.

Carry permit or not WA STATE law dictates the ONLY way a handgun can be
" loaded" In a vehicle is WHEN the person has a CPL license and it HAS to be " ON YOUR PERSON " not in a box or under a car seat and still loaded. A loaded handgun has to be on the person and said person has to be a current carrier of a CPL license or you're in trouble. Plain and simple.

If you leave a pistol ( or any gun) in your vehicle while going into a store or somewhere that you cannot carry it legally. Then by law, that pistol or ANY gun in a vehicle HAS to be UNLOADED and Hidden from plain view from any angle looking into the vehicle by law. 👍

A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
RCW 9.41.050(2)(a).

Although I'm an Oregon resident, I've also had a Washington "Concealed Pistol License" for a long time. You may already know what I'm about to suggest, but I wasn't sure if you did based on the original post. If this is something you knew already, then my apologies.

Anyway ...

If you're wife is driving the car without you in the car, and the weapon is concealed in the car where the driver can access the weapon (e.g. an unlocked glove box or center console), then your wife is in possession of an illegally concealed firearm IF she doesn't have her own WA "Concealed Pistol License".

My suggestion is do not leave the firearm in the car, whether it's locked in a glove box/counsole, or not. Keep it on your person.

Cheers.
Nope, no leaving the weapon in the car. It will always either be on me or in a safe at home. Don't plan to install any car safes to store the firearm.
My GF has her permit so that if I have to leave my pistol in her car (to go into the Spokane Eye Clinic where guns are prohibited for example) or under the seat it can be left loaded. Of course no one is going to be able to use x-ray eyes to see the loaded pistola under the seat but it is a pretty good precaution if you ask me in case things go wrong while I am having my eyeballs checked. I am not in the habit of leaving it in a car and forgetting about it but some are. My understanding of Washington Law is that if it is loaded in the car, somebody needs the valid CPL. No muss no fuss, $60 bucks of good insurance.
That is a good idea, but will not work in my case as wifey does not want to get into CCP 😥
What ever you do, get a kydex holster. No leather or nylon or hybrid. Kydex is the way to go. For the love of god no serpas
Absolutely. I have read a lot about hoslters and I strongly believe in safety over style. Kydex all the way, need to protect that trigger from an accidental pull.
+1 to both @User 1234 and @lucusloc - very good advice. I would add it is worthwhile to read up on self defense law so you better understand the legal standards you need to meet to have a legitimate self defense claim. Reading Andrew Branca's book Law of Self Defense or taking a class would be strongly advised.
Thank you for the book suggestion, I will look it up.

Also a huge +1 on training, I am planning to complete conceal carry training and lot of dry fire practice, before I start carrying.

Carry permit or not WA STATE law dictates the ONLY way a handgun can be
" loaded" In a vehicle is WHEN the person has a CPL license and it HAS to be " ON YOUR PERSON " not in a box or under a car seat and still loaded. A loaded handgun has to be on the person and said person has to be a current carrier of a CPL license or you're in trouble. Plain and simple.

If you leave a pistol ( or any gun) in your vehicle while going into a store or somewhere that you cannot carry it legally. Then by law, that pistol or ANY gun in a vehicle HAS to be UNLOADED and Hidden from plain view from any angle looking into the vehicle by law. 👍

A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
RCW 9.41.050(2)(a).
Great info, so basically a car safe is a no-go when it comes to Washington.

Just to clarify, my reading of the full section of RCW 9.41.050(2)(a) is that if you HAVE A WA CPL, then subsection (a) (iii) indicates that you CAN leave a LOADED pistol in the vehicle as long as it is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

A person cannot carry or place a loaded pistol in a vehicle unless they have a WA CPL AND section (a)(i) AND (a)(ii) are true, OR section (a)(iii) its true.

This means that if you have a CPL you can go to your doctor at Kaiser (for example), where they post that weapons are not permitted on the premises, and you can leave your LOADED handgun in the vehicle as long as it is "locked within the vehicle and concealed from view."

Nothing in (a)(iii) says that the pistol must be unloaded when you leave it in the vehicle IF YOU HAVE A CPL.

Take what you like and leave the rest.

Cheers.

Last Edited:
This varies by state. In OR they will pull up your car registration info, then your driver's license. On your license it will have a little indicator for a CHL holder. This is not tied to the car, it is tied to the driver. If they see you they may know you have a CHL, if they see her they may know she doesn't. That is about the extent of it. You don't need to reregister anything.

There have been several court rulings that state holding a CHL is not grounds for any kind of searches or detainment. Most cops won't even ask about it, as they know CHL holders are statistically one of the most law abiding demographics out there. Just don't be an bubblegum about the stop and you will have zero problems.
Do tell - what is the little indicator?

I was thinking about getting McDonald's, but I'm worried my brother in law will get fat if I eat it. Should I change my name to his name so the burger will get the right person fat? What if the drive through person sees that I'm not named the same and puts extra lettuce on the burger instead of a meat patty? I better get a side of ketchup.

Your overthinking machine was printing foreign money on overtime rates.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top