JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, What happens when a private buisness, (non-state or federal) has one of these signs? Is there any law or restriction against just ignoring it? I mean 99% of all mass murders are cimmitted in gun free zones. I have concealed permit in WA and OR. So far, (if they don't have a metal detector) I just think to myself, "hey, what they dont know won't hurt them and go ahead through. End of the day, I probably go in and out of dozens of doors with these signs. Lately though, I''ve started to worry "what would be the outcome" of someone found out and followed through with a legal path?

ccl1.jpg ccl2.jpg

As the liberals like to sing to protest signs,
"Sign, sign
Everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery
Breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that
Can't you read the sign?
"

Most likely would be asked to leave the premises. Failing to do so could result in being trespassed. There's always the risk of being trespassed, should you be discovered to be carrying a firearm in a posted facility.

Like you, no metal detectors, no wanding, then I'll keep my sidearm, thank you very much.

The illustration on that first sign looks like it says: No flare guns or dull KA-BARS.

Who's to say that you didn't happen to read the sign in question?

almost every type of medical clinic is a gun free zone these days. a lot of the hospitals are making you go through a weapons screaning checkpoint before you can enter now. it's like a form of covert gun control, no need to ban guns when they can just ban them from being carried anywhere outside your residence.

Unless it's a controlled facility, I don't obey them.
Properly controlled facilities should be the only acceptable "gun free zone" allowable. And I mean properly properly; armed guards, thorough screening, all access points covered... If I can walk past a sign with a gun so can a bad guy.

Of course it really isn't a "gun free zone" at that point anymore either, it is a "only vetted people with guns" zone, witch is the proper definition of a "secure/sensitive facility."

Your issuing authority usually has conditions on the back of your CCW. Mine, here in Klamath Falls states "...prohibited in...any other private location where posted."
If you're not going to obey the conditions, why bother getting one?

Your issuing authority usually has conditions on the back of your CCW. Mine, here in Klamath Falls states "...prohibited in...any other private location where posted."
Because it gives you legal cover in every other situation. Pretty simple actually.

Im not aware of any Oregon law that prohibits carry in private locations when posted?

olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2021R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/sb554/Enrolled
See this SB 554 page and read the whole thing, and in section 166 on the other page all ORS sections incorporated by reference and every definition pertaining to every piece of them all.

To my eye, the law reads to declare that in certain public buildings ,and at posted buildings and properties of some schools and universities, the nature of the building or the posted notice of prohibition status at a school/university REMOVES the affirmative defense of holding a CHL.
An affirmative defense is a set of facts the defendant must prove to avoid conviction if arrested.
In other words, the CHL defense evaporates as if you have NO CHL and arrest might result. Still, though, if I read it correctly, the nature of the premises involved or posted reduces the crime, which is to a non-CHL holder is a felony offense, to a misdemeanor offense if your CHL is otherwise proper. A firearms misdemeanor conviction in Oregon bars issuance of CHL or demands CHL revocation. So I'd be very careful.
I am no lawyer. But I can read.
This became law when SB554 bubbled out of Salem in a law named after the a victim of the Mall 205 shooting - a shooting that was HALTED by a CHL holder.
Goes to show that facts and truth can only make legislators do whatever they want to do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top