JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have one family car that me and my wife both drive. We both are on the title and registration.

If I apply for a conceal carry permit, the details will get added to my license plate record as well since I have my name on the title. So, if my wife is driving the car and a cop pulls her over then will that not cause confusion as she will not have a ccp?

Should I transfer the title in her name and make her the sole owner of the car before I apply for a ccp ? That way the title and registration will be in her name and I will be on the insurance.

Who's name the car is in has no bearing on who has carry permits. Not sure where you got that idea from, but it has nothing to do with your cars license at all in WA State. The two are not connected. I've had a permit for yrs. No details of anything concealed carry related gets added to your car info.

I'm thinking you must have never had a ccl license before. Just go get your permit and sleep easy. If a police officer pulls you over you also do not have to tell him you have a carry permit or a handgun on your person. That is UNTIL they ask you about such things and info. At that point, it is the law to inform the officer whether you a handgun on your personal and where on your personal it's being carried. Because WA State is not a state is not a state that requires you to divulge such info yo any office UNTIL ASKED at which point you are legally required to.

Anytime I may get stopped for anything. I keep both hands on the steering wheel and calmly inform the officer nicely that I have a carry permit and that I'm carrying, and where it's located on my person. That usually keeps the officer calm because then they know you're oneb of the good guys. Most of the time they will just say leave your gun in its holster where it's at and don't reach for it at all abd things will be all good. That's been my experiences the few times over been stopped over many years.

Hope this helps you đź‘Ť

Last Edited:
I am applying for the CCP for the first time. Never had it before.

Here is a dumb question,
After pulling over and before approaching the vehicle, when the officer pulls record using the license plate number, will it not have the details stating that the driver holds a ccp ?

I might be overthinking but just want to get my doubts cleared

Your driver's license will when he runs that through their system, but that's not anything to do with the vehicle I was told, because anyone could borrow a car etc. That's what I have always been told by the local sherrif's dept. If for some reason you're worried about who's driving it that gets stopped, call your sheriff's debt and ask them about it.

Last Edited:
I am applying for the CCP for the first time. Never had it before.

Here is a dumb question,
After pulling over and before approaching the vehicle, when the officer pulls record using the license plate number, will it not have the details stating that the driver holds a ccp ?

I might be overthinking but just want to get my doubts cleared
This varies by state. In OR they will pull up your car registration info, then your driver's license. On your license it will have a little indicator for a CHL holder. This is not tied to the car, it is tied to the driver. If they see you they may know you have a CHL, if they see her they may know she doesn't. That is about the extent of it. You don't need to reregister anything.

There have been several court rulings that state holding a CHL is not grounds for any kind of searches or detainment. Most cops won't even ask about it, as they know CHL holders are statistically one of the most law abiding demographics out there. Just don't be an bubblegum about the stop and you will have zero problems.

One tip: Keep your wallet in an easily visible console up front, not in a back pocket near your holster. If you're pulled over and the officer asks for your license and registration you want them to remain calm and able to see everything you are reaching towards, nowhere near your holster/waistband/a dark console.

I would not worry about them assuming your wife may have a concealed weapon if the car is stopped. Many, many, couples in Washington State have the same circumstances as you describe.

If you haven't had firearms training; I definitely recommend it. Not only to develop proficiency with the hardware. Practicing the decision making skills, the mindset of avoiding confrontations, situational awareness, and shoot/don't shoot scenarios.

Steve Shields' training at Cerberus Group is excellent, better than my military training. I don't have much first hand experience with other Washington trainers.

In the Air Force we used FATS (giant video screen and pneumatic inert weapons) and Simunitions for scenarios. After each scenario the facilitator would ask us why we made each decision we did, highlight threats we overlooked, assumptions we were using that weren't really there, etc. I learned a lot more from that than I did on the military ranges. The off-hand reloading, moving and shooting, was comparatively easy. I was never an expert, just competent.

Hopefully something similar, tailored for self-defense, exists in the PNW.

If you haven't had firearms training; I definitely recommend it. Not only to develop proficiency with the hardware. Practicing the decision making skills, the mindset of avoiding confrontations, situational awareness, and shoot/don't shoot scenarios.

Steve Shields' training at Cerberus Group is excellent, better than my military training. I don't have much first hand experience with other Washington trainers.

In the Air Force we used FATS (giant video screen and pneumatic inert weapons) and Simunitions for scenarios. After each scenario the facilitator would ask us why we made each decision we did, highlight threats we overlooked, assumptions we were using that weren't really there, etc. I learned a lot more from that than I did on the military ranges. The off-hand reloading, moving and shooting, was comparatively easy. I was never an expert, just competent.

Hopefully something similar, tailored for self-defense, exists in the PNW.
Echoing this, a huge amount of self defense is mindset and philosophy. This has to be integrated into your psyche so it runs as a core part of your decision making process. e.g. when a situation first starts warming up you instinctively look for deescalations and exits, not confrontations. There is also a fair bit of humility that you have to integrate, as in "I may be right, but is it worth having that argument if it is just going to tick off this guy enough for him to start an altercation?". Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and walk away because you know any other course of action runs the risk of entangling you in a far worse situation. It is worth reevaluating your ideas on when it is worth getting into an argument and when it is not, and actually thinking about it now, not waiting for some situation and trying to figure it out on the fly. 99% of proper self defense happens before you ever reach for a firearm.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top