JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
xpyjw.jpg

Can your own. Hamburger or steak. Then you know what's in it. Bacon, pork, chicken breast and thighs, seasoned hamburger, soups, chili, got a supply of all of it, canned by us. Just finishing some chicken thighs and also some sausage right now. It does take some time but it is worth it in the end. Easy to store and doesn't need electricity. Eat it out of the jar or use it to make your favorite recipe.
Is it possible to can ground beef or mix sausage with beef? Or do you have to can steak in cubes or chunks?

Also one of my biggest concerns is shelf life. How do you know how long it's good? Did you waste money by letting your food go bad?

Ground beef is my favorite. We just tried canning sausage last month. It came out really good. Canned some of it loose and some of it in patties. No reason you couldn't mix ground beef and sausage. Beef and sausage should be browned before canning otherwise they will turn into a lump. An added benefit is that the fat separates out of the meats when they are canned so you get really lean meat, or you can stir the fat back into the meat when you use it and maintain the fat content. We do steak in cubes. They should be browned as well. To me the goal is to get as much in the jar as possible, so smaller pieces work better. Once you brown the meat it gets stiff enough it doesn't pack well. You could do it in whatever size pieces you want, depending on expected use. We've got hamburger on the shelf from April of last year that is still good. We've only been canning for a couple of years so I don't know what the actual shelf-life is, but nothing has spoiled yet.
We combine the drippings from browning with beef broth for canning liquid. I just can't bring myself to can meat with water, though lots of people do.
To make sausage patties roll or pat out the sausage to 3/8"-1/2" thick and then use an extra jar like a cookie cutter to make proper-sized patties. When browned they will shrink just enough to fit in the jars.
Wide-mouth pint jars are best for patties.
Meat-wise we've canned chicken breast, boneless thighs, and legs (legs are more bother than they are worth), hamburger and hamburger seasoned for tacos, bacon, pork, steak, breakfast sausage. Everything has been satisfactory as far as eating goes. The chicken legs require special jars known as asparagus jars or else need to be cut down or deboned to fit in a standard jar and are a PITA to separate the meat from the not-meat to use.

Right. Protein Poisoning, aka Rabbit Starvation. You get it by trying to live just on rabbit or other lean meats without enough fat or carbohydrate. Other lean meat can include carabou and various other lean game including venison especially toward the end of winter. One problem is the brain runs only on the sugar glucose. So if we have only protein we have to make glucose from protein for our brain to work as well as provide energy for the body. Only our liver can do this bit of metabolism, and not all that well. Our liver is at max capacity producing only about 35% of the glucose we need from protein. And it dumps waste products from the reactions into the bloodstream (ammonia, amino acids), overwhelming our kidneys ability to clear such stuff and causing toxicity. Meanwhile, we are starving for fat, carbohydrates, and micronutrients. Symptoms of rabbit starvation include fatigue, nausea, weakness, diaghrea, constant hunger, and death. The diaghrea starts about a week into the all rabbit diet. A person can gorge on rabbit and die with full belly feeling desperately hungery.

Interestingly, rabbit does have fat. But what fat it has is not under the skin or marbled in its meat. It's stored around the interior organs. So if you are in a situation where all you have is rabbit, eat the whole rabbit. Including the (fatty) brain, eyes, bone marrow, organs and fat around them, stomach and vegetation in it, and intestines. The source I read didn't say anything about the gall bladder; I'd skip that. Or about the small intestines and colon. I suspect eating those with contents might help nutritionally. Cook everything in a way that avoids losing any fat such as in a soup or stew. I don't know whether you could prevent or stave off rabbit fever on an all rabbit diet by eating the whole rabbit. But if there's plenty of rabbits you could add the fatty inside and brains of several extra rabbits to your stew.
I think I am drawing the line at the colon and its contents.

My Dad canned his Antelope came out pretty good if you over looked the fact he screwed up and used way to much salt. Mom had a cure for that. She made our school lunch sandwiches from it. Once out of the house she didn't have to deal with it lol.

My top trade goods to hord would be
Booze
Pot
Tobacco
Feminine products
TP
Soaps
Salt.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show