JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How will the price of gas at the pump effect your SHTF plans?

• It won't - I'm probably staying in place

Votes: 36 63.2%
  • A little, but I don't have too far to travel

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • It'll put a good-sized dent in my plans

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I'm screwed if we hit $10 per gallon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *Burrrrrrp* uhhhhh... What were we talkin' about again?

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
I've got some USGI gas cans out in my storage building, they've been full of gasoline for SHTF purposes for many years. This might be the time to use them up as a part of stock rotation.

Fuel costs can't really be figured in SHTF plans beyond "They'll be really expensive."
As the issue continues prices will rise higher and higher while at the same time, paper money will be increasingly worthless. My advice would be to have gold or silver or some other barterable commodity for your fuel needs.

Doesn't that stuff need to be stabilized or something after awhile? You can't just keep it so long, right?

Sta- Bil is amazingly good
I had a Generac generator I had purchased for Y2K I filled the tank and put Sta-Bil in it and when I sold it prior to moving up here in 2018 it kicked over on the second pull with almost 20 year old gas. I swear by the stuff.

Doesn't that stuff need to be stabilized or something after awhile? You can't just keep it so long, right?
Pri-G & Pri-D and yes, you should eventually rotate it out. But rotating means replacing it when you use it, so you still need to buy fuel at current prices.

If SHTF and you have not replaced the fuel you used because you are waiting for the prices to come back down, you will be in a sorry position.

About 6 months, however general consensus states gas starts to get bad after a month. Proper storage can push this back, anecdotals apparently claim 20 years.

Staying in place. I have said this before, back east, and out here.

The ONLY way that I would leave is IF there is a FIRE outside - very close to my house or a FLOOD that would fill up the entire valley.

Once the fire or flood was gone... I would come right back to my land even if I had no home left.

Fuel? We have some spare fuel on hand for the generator and my husband's truck and car. I no longer drive and I do not own a truck or a car.

I do NOT have a LARGE container of fuel here as I did back in farm/lake country - back east.

I had 2 types of storage back there over the years. A gravity fed above ground tank and an underground one with a HAND pump NOT electric. BOTH of them were removed years BEFORE I sold out after my late husband died. We did have fuel for the generators, tractors, snow blowers, boats, mowers, etc. stored properly and in SAFE cans.

We lived in the boonies and even when fuel was cheaper - we spent a LOT of money on fuel even with energy efficient vehicles shy of some pick up trucks PLUS we put a LOT of miles on our vehicles over the years since we lived so far OUT.

Cate
Typos and added more.

Last Edited:
About 6 months, however general consensus states gas starts to get bad after a month. Proper storage can push this back, anecdotals apparently claim 20 years.
I can't claim 20 years, but I can claim several years with no noticeable effects in my cars, motorcycles, chainsaw or pruner - all of which require higher octane gas - the 2 strokes in the chainsaw & pruner (Stihl Kombi) would be persnickety (a tech term) about bad gas.

Fuel quality is a factor, I had a buddy call me just last week and say his two year old gas in his carb motorcycle fired up second kick and ran fine.

I had a bike that would fire but not run until I replaced the three month old fuel with fresh.

ARCO (for one) is a no go for a fuel purchase.

Fuel quality is a factor, I had a buddy call me just last week and say his two year old gas in his carb motorcycle fired up second kick and ran fine.

I had a bike that would fire but not run until I replaced the three month old fuel with fresh.

ARCO (for one) is a no go for a fuel purchase.
If you ever have fuel that causes problems, and you can empty the tank (like on a motorcycle) into a container, shake it up and put some in a glass container and let it sit for 10 minutes. The gas and water should separate and the water should be visible - if it is present. The only time I have had problems with gasoline, has been when there is water in it.

There are chemicals you can buy that you put on a stick to put in the fuel to test for water.

If you ever have fuel that causes problems, and you can empty the tank (like on a motorcycle) into a container, shake it up and put some in a glass container and let it sit for 10 minutes. The gas and water should separate and the water should be visible - if it is present. The only time I have had problems with gasoline, has been when there is water in it.

There are chemicals you can buy that you put on a stick to put in the fuel to test for water.
I hear ya, the problem was a can of fuel my buddy left here, after I told him about it he said it was only 3 months old at most. I only put Chevron in my Moto's, weed eater, generator and chainsaws. I drain the saws if they will sit for more than a couple of months. Never a problem with Chevron ethanol.

Don't worry folks, the financial collapse we are in should bring fuel prices back down to $2 a gallon in no time. If the repo man snagged your rig and you are sitting at home eating ramen noodles, not much reason to buy fuel. Ignore the continued rush hour traffic, it is likely Canadians passing through to Mexico.

I hear ya, the problem was a can of fuel my buddy left here, after I told him about it he said it was only 3 months old at most. I only put Chevron in my Moto's, weed eater, generator and chainsaws. I drain the saws if they will sit for more than a couple of months. Never a problem with Chevron ethanol.
Chevron gas comes from the same refinery/storage tanks that Costco gas comes from.

Shhhhh.................

I tell everyone else that I drive this.
1647308611208.png

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR