JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I could get this in 20 gauge I'd be very happy.
As is...
It is a 1981 Remington 870 12 gauge Wingmaster with a 18 inch barrel.
Andy
Andy i know you love the remmy but take a look at the High Standard Riot Guns. the actions are butter smooth and affordable. Not the ones like i posted but the true Riot Guns. Gunbroker has them all the time.

Andy i know you love the remmy but take a look at the High Standard Riot Guns. the actions are butter smooth and affordable. Not the ones like i posted but the true Riot Guns. Gunbroker has them all the time.
High Standard made a fine shotgun for sure.
Their riot guns only came in 12 gauge...and I am wanting something in 20 gauge.
That said...a nicely cut down High Standard in 20 gauge would not be kicked away.... :D
Andy

For many decades now, the "riot gun" shotgun has been often viewed as the quintessential preparedness arm for defense of hearth and home during civil unrest and related. Often simple, effective, reasonably priced, and available in even the most restrictive states, it isn't difficult to see why. With that in mind:

• What say you makes the perfect riot gun?
  • What chambering?
  • What loads?
  • What accessories?
  • Standard length or NFA shorty?
  • Anything else you can think of that makes the type of arm helpful when the thin veneer of civilization is stripped away?
Enjoy. :)
In my opinion the perfect riot shotgun has a barrel under 22", a capacity of at least 5+1 (7+1 or 8+1 is better, and more than that is icing on the cake), weapon-mounted light, and spare shell carrier. 12ga is definitely my preferred chambering, as it's the most common shotgun cartridge. 00 buck would be my preferred load, followed by #4 buck, followed by low-recoil slug.

I think the riot shotgun is a fine weapon for personal protection, particularly for folks who don't have as much experience with firearms, or for those who live in a state where more effective weapons (semi auto rifles with capacity greater than 10rds) are prohibited. It's not my go-to defensive arm of choice, as I prefer semi-auto rifles, braced pistols, and PCCs. That being said I have several in my collection and am glad to have them.

BUT, But, but.....WHY?

Because, being CORRECTLY ARMED is the MOST important thing.

1705282647022.png

Aloha, Mark

1705282818841.png

I would go with 12 ga 00 buck dispenser all the way but if you want to be classy this would be the rig !!!
1705283364771.png
for the record I don't do black powder but would in this case and none of those fast running zombies dey gots to be slow !

Last Edited:
I'm in overall concurrence with @Andy54Hawken concerning "riot guns"… I too carried one while on active duty, usually at static positions while guarding VIPS and TOC's…. It gets people's rapt attention QUICK-SMART!

As for capacity, these days I don't worry about fancy drum or stick mags, I just pick up another loaded shotgun, or use it as a pugil-stick… you'd be amazed how much pain you can inflict on someone just using it as a "spear" or butt-stroking someone with it!

3-M500's and 2-M930's (one not pictured)
IMG_5032.jpeg

This one is my primary; kitted with mepro-light front sight-bead (I'm not much for ghost-rings), holds 9 rounds (ghost loaded) of 2-3/4" 00-buck and/or 1-oz slugs, a pig-sticker for holding off tundra-pigs, and a breacher barrel for when I feel like breaching things (LMAO)….

IMG_1960.jpeg

And a cool Inforce light that blinds the H outta ya if you look into it, that also strobes causing some to have an epileptic seizure…

IMG_1963.jpeg

The only thing I can't post is the sound of a mic-drop, sorry! :D

I've got a Rem. 870 that I bought in 1970, it's a slick stock deer gun with 20 in. imp. cyl. bore and rifle sights. No add ons. My idea is that in a home defensive situation, chances are there won't be an exchange of lots of shots. One shot, you're done or they're done or more likely, the first shot caused them to flee the scene. So a load of birdshot is good enough for should I say, exhibition purposes. Loads of various sizes of buckshot for serious business. In this same line of thinking, a gun used for brief encounters probably doesn't need many extras. In my own situation, I don't envision being in a situation where "riot" figures into the scene.

001.JPG

More lately, I discovered that I could buy NEF / H&R 1871 pump shotguns inexpensively. These are copies of the 870 design made in China by Hawk Industries, they cost average $150 apiece. I've got a couple of 18 inch bbl. cyl. bore 12 ga. versions. Also a 12 ga, wood stocked deer gun with rifled barrel which I bought a spare riot bbl. for. After some load development and adjustment to the rifle sights, I'm able to put a handloaded DGS slug dead nuts into the center of a target at 60 yards. Then there is a wood stocked version in 20 ga., it has a 20 in. bbl. with a removable choke and I keep a skeet choke in it. With a modified choke, my grandson and I have used this one a lot for shooting clay birds. As I've gotten older, I've liked 20 ga. more. The reason for the extra guns, who knows, maybe other family members may have a need some day.

P3090431.JPG P7250104.JPG P7050014.JPG P4260480.JPG

Most of my experience with shotguns (for what its worth) is upland bird hunting and several years of duck hunting but the main concern is the location of the safety. I prefer tang safeties as they are easily accessible and easier to push to fire with the thumb forward instead of using the index finger to the side.

Next, would be rear of the trigger guard (towards the stock) as its easier to apply pressure if the finger is curled instead of straight if safety is forward of trigger.

Cold mornings often makes safeties harder to operate and the seconds it takes to operate the safety can mean a 20 yard shot or 30 yard shot.

This crappy picture is the only pic I have of my "riot gun." It's a 20" barrel with a 7+1 capacity Mossberg Maverick 88 in 12 Gauge. it's loaded with 00 Buck now, but if I take it in the woods I may switch to alternating with slugs. I'd like better sights, but I might settle with a big fiber optic bead.
This is my bedside gun.

View attachment 1801689
Yup, there it is. My bedside shottie also... well, the 500 version that is

My favorite is a Vang-Comp Mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights, a Bantam stock and Sure-Fire light in the fore-end.
Number 2 favorite is a Benelli M-1 Super-90 which is the fastest cycling shotgun I've ever owned and has excellent accuracy with bird and buck.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top