JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For many decades now, the "riot gun" shotgun has been often viewed as the quintessential preparedness arm for defense of hearth and home during civil unrest and related. Often simple, effective, reasonably priced, and available in even the most restrictive states, it isn't difficult to see why. With that in mind:

• What say you makes the perfect riot gun?
  • What chambering?
  • What loads?
  • What accessories?
  • Standard length or NFA shorty?
  • Anything else you can think of that makes the type of arm helpful when the thin veneer of civilization is stripped away?
Enjoy. :)

There is a practical standard that establishes ease of operation, ease of maintenance, ammunition cost and availability, and avoiding legal hassles/expense.

In my estimation, 12 gauge, 2-3/4" 00 buckshot would be standard chambering. Length to match or slightly exceed NFA standards to avoid paperwork and expense. Action to be minimum of double barrel, with pump and semi-auto as basic upgrades.

Beyond this minimum, it is personal preference to go for larger magazine capacity, fancy grips, folding stocks, sights, and bling.

I've owned many a "riot gun"....
Winchester 1897's and Model 12's....
Ithaca 37's...
Mossberg 500 series...
Remington 870's....
Remington Model 11...
All were fun ....all have been sold or traded as well.
Back when it was easy for a private firearm transaction..it was fun to buy , sell and trade for these.

While in the Army...I had occasion to use a Model 12 "Trenchgun" at few times for duty when walking point or...
Being the first through a doorway / window entry....they work well for that , let me tell you.

As far as a gauge...
Well 12 is the "standard"....a load of 00 or #4 buck is always good.
Nowadays I am trying to keep with like calibers and gauges...so for me....
A 20 gauge would fit the bill.

I also prefer a wooden stock...with a bead sight and nothing else...
Well maybe a sling and shell carrier for the stock.
20 gauge with a 18 -20 inch barrel and an Improved Cylinder choke.
4 - 5 shot magazine...
I like to keep things simple.
Andy
Edit it add :
The Winchester SXP "Defender" in OD Green and 20 gauge is tempting... :D

Last Edited:
1705186269991.png

Well, to answer my own question:

What say you makes the perfect riot gun?
A pump or a quality semi-automatic. Rock solid reliable, a lot of practice, and call it good. I prefer anything with a stock versus pistol-grip only, though the latter can be mastered with enough practice.

What chambering?
12 or 20, in that order. And I wouldn't turn my nose up at a properly loaded .410-bore. Biggest argument for the 12 is ammunition availability.

What loads?
00-buck is our staple. #4 is certainly good too. A few slugs doesn't hurt. We've kept a few flares too for signalling, though the utility of said is debatable.

What accessories?
A good light is plus to see better in poor lighting. Folding stocks make for a handier package, but I've yet to experience one as good as a standard stock. Our scatterguns aren't so equipped, but a bayonet would have a certain intimidation factor. Most of the other do-dads are a bit dubious in my humble opinion.

Standard length or NFA shorty?
Either.

Regarding the current line up:

Primaries:
Mine: Mossberg 500 series in 12-gauge, with a light, and loaded with 00-buck. Wife's: Mossberg 500 in 20-gauge, loaded with #3 buck. (I've been tempted to upgrade the former to a Mossberg 930, but other projects always have come up.)

1705189838250.png

Honorable mentions:
Serbu Super Shorty and Lupara. Former is a Mossberg-action, pump, 2+1 shot, very abbreviated, 12-gauge (2¾ and 3"); the latter a double-barrel, 12 (2¾" only). Both either fold up or break down into a package that will fit in a briefcase, backpack, etc., so quite portable and concealable. And and any assailant being stuck by buck from said will likely also be caught on fire by the rather dazzling blaze these produce upon firing.

1705189293197.png

Certainly not a "riot gun" as it is for bird hunting. But loaded with two 3½" 10-gauge, 00-buck shells, with 2¼ ounces of said being sent down range each trigger pull, it could be dubbed "The Spanish Claymore". :s0165:

1705189527293.png

Last Edited:
I always thought my old Winchester SS Marine Riot Gun was not only cool, but practical. :) It is a pump action, with an18" cylnder bore barrel and rifle sights. Just the thing for my boat to, "Repell Boarders". :rolleyes:

Then I found out the receiver isn't SS. It's only plated. :( And the plating started to bubble with corrosion under it before it was descovered. :eek:

Frosting on the cake is, The Canadians now want to charge me $50.00 everytime I take it up there. :mad:

For many decades now, the "riot gun" shotgun has been often viewed as the quintessential preparedness arm for defense of hearth and home during civil unrest and related. Often simple, effective, reasonably priced, and available in even the most restrictive states, it isn't difficult to see why. With that in mind:

• What say you makes the perfect riot gun?
  • What chambering?
  • What loads?
  • What accessories?
  • Standard length or NFA shorty?
  • Anything else you can think of that makes the type of arm helpful when the thin veneer of civilization is stripped away?
Enjoy. :)
If shotgun is the choice, the riot gun has evolved imo. 300 rounds per minute accurately delivered from 20 +1, ultra reliable and 70% reduction in recoil.

Last Edited:
Interesting setup. Saiga, I presume. What of the other components, magazines, et al.? :)
Lynx 12 actually which is much more reliable than saiga (this reported by many, including owners who have both). Uses saiga mags and muzzle brakes. They make left hand charging version with pic rail (they call it 3 gun model) mounted to dust cover and right hand charging version (shown above). Made in factory 96 which has made AKs for over 50 years. I researched it a lot before buying mine and the only failure I've heard of is a bolt failing at 11,000 rounds. Bolts are only $59 though. After buying this I sold all my tube fed shotguns cuz I could never go back despite using them for decades. There is just no comparison for tactical type shotgun imo. Various mags r available. Uses standard aK furniture so can be configured however. Mine is Zhukov folding stock and magpul furniture except for the quad rail handguard. I adapted a Vepyr wood stock and handguard on another one for a diff look.

I have a Beretta 1301 Comp with a 21" barrel and 9-round tube. When I was well practiced, I could nearly empty it before the first ejected shell hit the ground.

I don't do any tactical ted stuff anymore, and I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!

This crappy picture is the only pic I have of my "riot gun." It's a 20" barrel with a 7+1 capacity Mossberg Maverick 88 in 12 Gauge. it's loaded with 00 Buck now, but if I take it in the woods I may switch to alternating with slugs. I'd like better sights, but I might settle with a big fiber optic bead.
This is my bedside gun.

Mav88.jpg

During the LA Riots, the Korean Militia on the ground used 12GA pump shotguns loaded with birdshot to dissuade hundreds of rioters advancing on their neighborhoods. Aimed at the asphalt in front of the mob, the small shot would spread out and travel above the ground striking the legs with non-lethal force. The mobs ran away and lawsuits were avoided.

Of course they had Roof Koreans with rifles for overwatch.

During the LA Riots, the Korean Militia on the ground used 12GA pump shotguns loaded with birdshot to dissuade hundreds of rioters advancing on their neighborhoods. Aimed at the asphalt in front of the mob, the small shot would spread out and travel above the ground striking the legs with non-lethal force. The mobs ran away and lawsuits were avoided.

Very interesting point.

Reminds me of this thread: The Guns of the L.A. Riots
And this article: The Guns of the Roof Koreans

Cheers. :)

Interesting. I had not heard that one. Thank you.

Very interesting point.

Reminds me of this thread: The Guns of the L.A. Riots
And this article: The Guns of the Roof Koreans

Cheers. :)
Lots of directions to go with "civil unrest defense of hearth and home" including stealth (300BO suppressed or even better 8.6 BO) or ultra stealth (FA .22 suppressed) .

If the object is to get the mob to disperse a .308 in 8.5 - 12.5" barrel length is gonna spit huge fireballs and massive noise (ie scary and the opposite of stealth). Shotgun would be damn good at that also as mentioned with the la riots. Explosive HESH slug out of a high capacity shotgun would make them head to the hills and never come back (even if shot in the ground I would guess)!

Here's a HESH slug on a realistic ballistic dummy head.

Lynx 12 actually which is much more reliable than saiga (this reported by many, including owners who have both). Uses saiga mags and muzzle brakes. They make left hand charging version with pic rail (they call it 3 gun model) mounted to dust cover and right hand charging version (shown above). Made in factory 96 which has made AKs for over 50 years. I researched it a lot before buying mine and the only failure I've heard of is a bolt failing at 11,000 rounds. Bolts are only $59 though. After buying this I sold all my tube fed shotguns cuz I could never go back despite using them for decades. There is just no comparison for tactical type shotgun imo. Various mags r available. Uses standard aK furniture so can be configured however. Mine is Zhukov folding stock and magpul furniture except for the quad rail handguard. I adapted a Vepyr wood stock and handguard on another one for a diff look.

Interesting. So, if one was so inclined, it could be setup with:

• Traditionally styled wood furniture.
  • Detachable box magazines.
  • A weapons light.
Yes?

I have a Mossberg 20" 590A1 and a 18" FN SLP. as my primary shotguns. I only shoot 00 buckshot from both shotguns. I could shoot smaller shot from the 590A1 but have not tried.any yet. Since they do not make SLP shotguns anymore Look at Benelli or Baretta. I would like to try a Baretta 1301 Tactical but not sure I could rent one locally to try.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top