JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Dad canned his Antelope came out pretty good if you over looked the fact he screwed up and used way to much salt. Mom had a cure for that. She made our school lunch sandwiches from it. Once out of the house she didn't have to deal with it lol.

My top trade goods to hord would be
Booze
Pot
Tobacco
Feminine products
TP
Soaps
Salt.
You should can some cantaloupe and put it next to it on the shelf just to confuse people. :)

Less of a joke than some might think. My Dad was a young un during the depression. Cabbage soup was a staple and meat was hard to come by. Well, his pops got a hold of a possum and decided to bake it in the oven. My Dad, being a kid at the time, looked in the oven and thought it was a human baby, skinned and all. Lol. Not much got by my Grampa. He once found half a can of Alpo in the fridge and made a sandwich out of it, ate every bite and loved it. Talk about different times. I think he might have a chuckle about the way we talk about "prepping".

Less of a joke than some might think. My Dad was a young un during the depression. Cabbage soup was a staple and meat was hard to come by. Well, his pops got a hold of a possum and decided to bake it in the oven. My Dad, being a kid at the time, looked in the oven and thought it was a human baby, skinned and all. Lol. Not much got by my Grampa. He once found half a can of Alpo in the fridge and made a sandwich out of it, ate every bite and loved it. Talk about different times. I think he might have a chuckle about the way we talk about "prepping".
I remember as a kid, hearing someone in the kitchen early in the morning. It wasn't time for breakfast yet, so I went to see what was up. I found my Dad eating Saltines in milk with a far-off look on his face. I said good morning and asked what he was having. He said it was something he had when he was a kid. I asked if I could try it. He smiled and said it wasn't very good. I could tell he knew that I fully understood. I had cereal instead. Now, sometimes I have scrapple on his birthday just to remember him properly.

Grand Dad always had two slices of home made bread with every meal, didn't matter what that meal was, one slice was to clean the plate, and the other was if the dish had any marrow in the bone ( He always insisted on having what ever cut of meat had the bone) He was also one to scrape every single piece of meat off an animal after butchering (and carefully trimming of all the fat which he saved for rendering,) and ether add it to soup or beans, or mix it with bread batter and fry it and then make sammich's out of it with fresh churned butter! As a kid, his lunch was always a boiled potato and a hank of bread that he dipped in water and ate, sometimes he had dried fish, or salt pork or what ever meat then might have had, usually left overs ground into a paste and spread on his bread!
To this day, I always have a couple slices of bread with my breakfast and dinner, doing exactly as Grand Dad did! It's especially nice if/when the Wife makes her Black Bread, that's the best there is!

Kids working their way through college, as I was in the sixties, sometimes ate dog or cat food. Those kids were richer than me. Canned pet food was expensive. I instead went to the grocery store and bought packages of chicken hearts and gizzards for 10 cents/pound. This was before such things were all shipped to other countries. The hearts and gizzards were pure meat, just the least desired chicken parts because they are tough and require long cooking. I took them to my rented off-campus room, sliced them up, and cooked them using a hot plate. Made them into a delicious gravy and served them over rice.

If you ever go in for serious dog food eating, or need to in some shtf situation--dogs, like most animals, can make their own Vitamin C. We humans can't. (Neither can some other primates, as well as fruit bats and guinea pigs.) And Vitamin C is found in plants, not animal meat. So dog food is likely to have inadequate amounts of vitamin C for humans. You'll need plant food too. Or you can buy a pound of pure Vitamin C from Amazon and use a dash in your soups or cuppa teas. Or if you are living mostly on game you can supply yourself with Vitamin C as artic peoples did in winter by eating the stomach contents of the herbivores they hunted.

Just made a batch of corned beef hash last week using canned corned beef--it's almost scary the way vegetables are absorbed by the corned beef
Inspiration for the famous movie?

220px-The_Blob_%281958%29_theatrical_poster.jpg

I took them to my rented off-campus room, sliced them up, and cooked them using a hot plate. Made them into a delicious gravy and served them over rice.
Mom used to buy the same to make chicken stock, and add bones from whatever bird we picked clean the night before. I think it was in the '90s that they stopped putting the gizzard in the chicken, just heart and liver. I would chop it all up, fry it, brown some flower and use it as a base for the my gravy when I would roast a chicken. Add the drippings when the bird was ready.

Grand Dad always had two slices of home made bread with every meal, didn't matter what that meal was, one slice was to clean the plate, and the other was if the dish had any marrow in the bone ( He always insisted on having what ever cut of meat had the bone) He was also one to scrape every single piece of meat off an animal after butchering (and carefully trimming of all the fat which he saved for rendering,) and ether add it to soup or beans, or mix it with bread batter and fry it and then make sammich's out of it with fresh churned butter! As a kid, his lunch was always a boiled potato and a hank of bread that he dipped in water and ate, sometimes he had dried fish, or salt pork or what ever meat then might have had, usually left overs ground into a paste and spread on his bread!
To this day, I always have a couple slices of bread with my breakfast and dinner, doing exactly as Grand Dad did! It's especially nice if/when the Wife makes her Black Bread, that's the best there is!
My grandpa would put Crisco on his homemade bread instead of butter.
I was all 😶

I have some beef in the freezer 6mons or so. Need to do something with it. Thawing it out in the fridge. Thinking about a Brunswick stew. Never made it or even tasted it before but saw a video.

My Mom's Mom, I called her Nana, regularly dunked her toast in the hot bacon grease. Healthy as a horse till she passed at 86.
My favorite bread is fresh made, just out of the oven French Bread browned in a pan of bacon or pork grease. Get the bread just a little crunchy on the outside and still that amazing soft, almost gooey on the inside. Nothing like it. Plus that means there is probably ham or bacon around somewhere. :)

It's about more than just beef in your diet.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....IF you manage to learn anything from watching the above two videos well, I love SPAM. To hell with the old lady from this little Monty Python sketch/vid.

Last Edited:
My favorite bread is fresh made, just out of the oven French Bread browned in a pan of bacon or pork grease. Get the bread just a little crunchy on the outside and still that amazing soft, almost gooey on the inside. Nothing like it. Plus that means there is probably ham or bacon around somewhere. :)
My Nana made a dish called bona plachinga (sp), white bean soup with these deep fried bread things. It was a family fav. Sounds similar.

My top trade goods to hord would be
Booze
Pot
Tobacco
Feminine products
TP
Soaps
Salt.

I remember as a kid, hearing someone in the kitchen early in the morning. It wasn't time for breakfast yet, so I went to see what was up. I found my Dad eating Saltines in milk with a far-off look on his face. I said good morning and asked what he was having. He said it was something he had when he was a kid. I asked if I could try it. He smiled and said it wasn't very good. I could tell he knew that I fully understood. I had cereal instead. Now, sometimes I have scrapple on his birthday just to remember him properly.
Funny you bring that up. I have a friend. Known him since the 4th grade. Only true friend I ever had and we still see each other and it's still the same. We partied! Late high school and for years after that until I moved away from the Salt Lake Valley. He was raised within a ranching family. His dad died when he was young. Dude knew how to work. He's still working at 67. Anyway...After a night partying we'd go to his house when his mom was away up at the ranch of his step dad's on weekends. I don't remember me eating anything? But he'd get out a bowl and tear apart a couple slices of white bread, pout milk on it and salt/pepper it real good, and slop it down.

Thanks for bringing THAT up! Ahhh, the good-old-days!

great channel

She is gone not but atleast we still have some of her wisdom.
Wow, thanks for that. The foods I grew up on, were what came from the children of the depression. What we ate after I was born in 1955 was luxury gourmet compared to what the parents ate as kids I imagine. I still cook a bunch of things I was served growing up.

Dad was born in 1920, Mom 1926.

The hearts and gizzards were pure meat, just the least desired chicken parts because they are tough and require long cooking. I took them to my rented off-campus room, sliced them up, and cooked them using a hot plate. Made them into a delicious gravy and served them over rice.
Mom used to buy the same to make chicken stock, and add bones from whatever bird we picked clean the night before. I think it was in the '90s that they stopped putting the gizzard in the chicken, just heart and liver. I would chop it all up, fry it, brown some flower and use it as a base for the my gravy when I would roast a chicken. Add the drippings when the bird was ready.
Me mum, of Blessed memory, taught me how to make chicken and turkey gravies, just like what y'all are talking about. I don't think I've seen hearts and gizzards in a whole fryer from the grocery store in years, although my last turkey came with it all. Homemade gravy-making for the urban/suburban dweller is a dying art... :(

Last Edited:
Wow, thanks for that. The foods I grew up on, were what came from the children of the depression. What we ate after I was born in 1955 was luxury gourmet compared to what the parents ate as kids I imagine. I still cook a bunch of things I was served growing up.
Was mostly the same at my house growing up, except we had steaks once a week cuz my dad was bound and determined that we were gonna eat better than he and Mom had when they were growing up. We'd pick out a bovine from a local rancher friend and had it butchered and kept it in the chest freezer in the garage. Eat off that thing for months, then go pick out another one...
Dad was born in 1920, Mom 1926.
Dad, 1930-present; Mom, 1923-2015 (RIP)

Was mostly the same at my house growing up, except we had steaks once a week cuz my dad was bound and determined that we were gonna eat better than he and Mom had when they were growing up. We'd pick out a bovine from a local rancher friend and had it butchered and kept it in the chest freezer in the garage. Eat off that thing for months, then go pick out another one...

Dad, 1930-present; Mom, 1923-2015 (RIP)
Steak. I don't recall getting steak at home. Hmm. BUT, we did get to go, after my little bother came along, to 'Sizzler' on Monday/family night from time to time when the kids ate for $.99 and the adults for $1.99! Steak, potato and salad. Who didn't LOVE Sizzler blue cheese dressing? No one!

Steak. I don't recall getting steak at home. Hmm. BUT, we did get to go, after my little bother came along, to 'Sizzler' on Monday/family night from time to time when the kids ate for $.99 and the adults for $1.99! Steak, potato and salad. Who didn't LOVE Sizzler blue cheese dressing? No one!
Yes, my dad and mum grew up poor. Mom was in grade school and junior high through the Great Depression and Dad was born during it and lived through it as a young kid. So they both knew what it was like to be poor. And they both decided that they didn't want to stay poor, and they would provide more for their kids than what they got as kids.

Bringing this discussion back to my own youth now, we had steak every week, as previously mentioned. The neighbor kid, Paul Erickson, would come over to our house on "steak night" after we had finished eating but before my dad threw the scraps to the dog. Paul wanted to eat the fat. He would claim that on nights when they had steak at his house, his parents ate the steaks and he and his siblings all got hot dogs. Privately, my parents were aghast, and Dad remarked to us one night, "We all eat the same thing at this table, or we don't eat at all." I carried that wisdom into my own household when I got older.

And never mind the fact that Dad always got the crappiest parts of the chicken and the turkey and we kids got the best parts. He "claimed" that he enjoyed that stuff. I think he just didn't want to waste anything. We kids got the breasts, thighs, and drumsticks. Dear Ol' Dad got the butts, backs, and necks. We still laugh about that... :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top